Biology for Pre-reqs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tamala

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a non tradional student and I am currently looking to fulfil my Biology 1 requirement,but I want to do is an indepedent study. I have found several schools that offer Biology 101, 3 credits w/no lab and it even uses the Campbell-Reese book, but it states that is is for non-science majors.
I plan was to take that course, and do the lab next semester.
So ,this may seem like a silly question, but will this class meet the Biology pre-req,or do I need to the the Biology for science majors.

Members don't see this ad.

I can only answer with regard to my state school, but it might give you some insight as to how the other dental schools view your option. The admissions committee at my state dental school, OHSU, said that they will not accept 100 level biology when the 200 level classes, Biology for science majors, were also offered at that individuals school.

They said that every year they get applicants that only took the 100 level Bio, for hygiene pre-req's or whatever, and then later in life decided to apply to dental school, thinking that they have completed the Bio reqiurement. Upon review of their file the admissions committee informs them that they must go back and re-take the 200 level Bio sequence to meet the dental schools requirement. I know this happens because a friend of mine is in the process of re-taking his Bio sequence for this very reason.

Also if you look at most or all dental school requirements it states that you must have the equivilant of one year of Bio with lab. I encourage you to call your state dental school or any other school you plan on applying to and share your options with them. You could then get a definate answer straight from the horses mouth and it would clear up any uncertainty that you might have. Better to make a few phone calls now rather than find out at the time of your application that you have misunderstood or made a wrong choice in meeting your pre-reqs.

The adcoms will definitely want Bio for science majors. I was in a similar boat: non-science major in undergrad. The Bio I took in undergrad was for non-science majors and when I went to talk to the dental school admissions counselor at my school (Ohio State); they said I'll definitely have to take the science major-level Bio. So that's what I'm doing now. Go for it!

Tamala said:
I am a non tradional student and I am currently looking to fulfil my Biology 1 requirement,but I want to do is an indepedent study. I have found several schools that offer Biology 101, 3 credits w/no lab and it even uses the Campbell-Reese book, but it states that is is for non-science majors.
I plan was to take that course, and do the lab next semester.
So ,this may seem like a silly question, but will this class meet the Biology pre-req,or do I need to the the Biology for science majors.

Back a year ago, I was in your shoes; also went back to school as a non-traditional student. I was looking at the curriculum of the classes that I was about to take and I wanted to make sure I was taking the right classes. I can almost guarantee you that if the class you are planning to take is a non-science majors and there's ANOTHER class that's offered as a science-major, then you are wasting your time taking the non-science major class. I tripled checked when I took my classes since I took them from a CC. I would look at their catalog as I'm sure they'll point you to the correct sequence of science classes required for pre-med, pre-dentistry, pre-vet, pre-pharmacy which are all the same anyway.
Good luck!