Biology major question.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FareedTareen

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering, what is the highest level Math class you have to take if majoring in Biology? I'm a high school Jr at the moment and still thinking about what to major in University.

Members don't see this ad.

i think it may vary by each university, but mine is calc 1/calc 2 or calc 1 and stats1+2 to replace calc 2

Generally Calc 1 and some stats class. You usually only have to go above calc 1 if you're a chem/physics/engineering major.

Members don't see this ad :)
We have a course sequence called "math for life sciences" which is basically pre-cal and cal 1 but with an emphasis on biological examples and everyday scenarios. So yes just check with your university. Also, compare the requirements for biology with a couple other majors you may be interested in and try to take the courses that overlap. You definitely do not want to take the easier requirements for one just to have them not count for anything if you did decide to switch majors later.

The Bio major itself is usually not more than Calc 1 but most universities won't let you take Physics without Calc 2 and you need physics for dental school.

Does anyone know about the BA degree option? Where you take all the Bio classes of a BA but just take more art based classes rather than math?

I understand the want to have the least amount of stress during college because there is enough already, but there is a reason these courses are required for certain majors. You don't need calc 3 or anything, but you should not be worrying about having to take calc 1. Heck I signed up for calc 1 my first semester and dropped after a week because I had no idea what the teacher was talking about. Took basic calc the next semester then proceeded with calc 1 and calc 2. You aren't expected to know all this stuff before you take these classes, just try to figure out the best way for you to study as quick as you can because that's what the majority of my upper level sciences are doing for me in regards to dental school (biophysical chemistry for example).

Does anyone know about the BA degree option? Where you take all the Bio classes of a BA but just take more art based classes rather than math?

These are questions for local college counselors that you're looking into. My own school's BA in Biology required calculus I and II, and the classes weren't more "art based." The BA mainly differed from the BS in that it required several more humanities courses. The science courses were identical, however.