Biology or Chemistry as a major.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Life Sucks

STUDY HARD PANTZ ON...
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm under special circumstances, and I'm wondering what is best for the MCAT. Chemistry is hard, but two components of it are on the MCAT. But biology is just memorization in a way, but it seems like it can prepare you for Med School , such as training you for memorization. What do you guys think.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm under special circumstances, and I'm wondering what is best for the MCAT. Chemistry is hard, but two components of it are on the MCAT. But biology is just memorization in a way, but it seems like it can prepare you for Med School , such as training you for memorization. What do you guys think.

Gonna throw you off with this one. I vote neither. Go with the major that allows you to get A's and have a life. Your actual major has no bearing on your admission chances so get an easier major that allows you to spread out difficult science courses so you ace them.

Plenty of non-science majors outperform plenty of science majors.

I get what you're saying on that. Why pick a hard course load early, that can't really allow you to get any good grades without trying real hard, and not have a life. I think then I would pick Psychology, or some easy major. That seems reasonable.

Members don't see this ad :)
Major in something that you enjoy. A biology major needs to take enough chemistry to pass the MCAT. A chemistry major need enough biology, etc.

When are you taking the MCAT? If you are taking the new exam in 2015 you will also need psychology, sociology, and a bunch of other "soft science" classes. If majoring in one of those subjects interests you then go for it. Just make sure you do well in the science pre-reques.

If Anatomy is what turns you on, then do anatomy. If staring a test tubes for hours on end while a reaction occurs, then do chem, organic, or biochem major.

Bottom line. You will get more out of doing a major you enjoy spending time doing. Don't do it just to pass a stupid test.

dsoz

I won't graduate untill 2016, and I plan to take a couple months to a year to study for the MCAT.

Gonna throw you off with this one. I vote neither. Go with the major that allows you to get A's and have a life. Your actual major has no bearing on your admission chances so get an easier major that allows you to spread out difficult science courses so you ace them.

Plenty of non-science majors outperform plenty of science majors.

Major in something that you enjoy. A biology major needs to take enough chemistry to pass the MCAT. A chemistry major need enough biology, etc.

When are you taking the MCAT? If you are taking the new exam in 2015 you will also need psychology, sociology, and a bunch of other "soft science" classes. If majoring in one of those subjects interests you then go for it. Just make sure you do well in the science pre-reques.

If Anatomy is what turns you on, then do anatomy. If staring a test tubes for hours on end while a reaction occurs, then do chem, organic, or biochem major.

Bottom line. You will get more out of doing a major you enjoy spending time doing. Don't do it just to pass a stupid test.

dsoz

:thumbup: :thumbup:

I switched out of Chemistry to an applied science major and I never looked back. I'm glad I did, because it was something that I truly enjoyed.

Last edited:

dsoz

:thumbup:

Could not agree more! Pick a major that you enjoy. If you complete all the pre-reqs for med school, and do well in them, you will kick the mcat in the crotch.

I was a Bio major and gen chem was still my best MCAT topic. Do whatever will interest you more and get you the highest GPA.

Thanks, guys. I really never hated chemistry, but I would never major it. So thats's out. Liked Biology in Hs., did AP in high school, had a boring teacher and found it boring, but I still aced it. So a maybe then. Only other things I can think of are Psychology, and History. I really loved AP history, and psychology is interesting when it comes to the mind.............so, three are left now.

Music majors are the most likely group of college grads to be accepted to medical school!!! (I'm one of them). Many studies have reflected this.:)

Many non-science majors outperform their science major peers when it comes to the MCAT, USMLE, COMLEX, etc... as pointed out by a previous poster.

I must repeat what people have been saying so far. DO SOMETHING YOU ENJOY and if possible, something that could potentially be a job in case medical school doesn't work out for you. A lot of things can happen in 4 years....DO NOT pick a major based on passing the MCAT. That is just silly. Just make sure you have the pre-reqs and study like mad for the MCAT when the time comes. By the time you take it, the test won't be so "hard science" heavy anyway. So, enjoy studying your liberal arts!

ironically, at first I HATED chemistry..but then after finish the orgo series I began to really like it. I thought the labs for gen chem were so boring/pointless half the time. The orgo labs were so much more fun to me.

Why not biochem? I did that and it really did prep me for all sciences on the mcat ... And also took care of all the prerequisites. I loved/enjoyed biochem though.. So like the previous posters mentioned, if you feel a different (even non science major) is a better fit for you, go with that one and just get them prerequisites fulfilled.

I won't graduate untill 2016, and I plan to take a couple months to a year to study for the MCAT.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think you'll have to take the new MCAT in 2016 which has some of those soft social sciences and will also have some biochemistry.

However, I agree with the others, just take what you love and do all the pre-med required courses for the MCAT and admissions.:thumbup: :D

Major in a language!

Members don't see this ad :)
Major in what you love. If something other than Biology, I suggest taking a minor in Biology. Do Chem only for the pre-recs. However, taking Biochem will be useful.

Major in what you love. If something other than Biology, I suggest taking a minor in Biology. Do Chem only for the pre-recs. However, taking Biochem will be useful.

Without a doubt. Biochem will make med biochem that much easier. Marginally so, but easier nonetheless.

Major in a language!

This!
I majored in Spanish because its something I really enjoyed. It made me unique (most of the time. Lol) and was fun to talk about in my interviews. Just major in something you like and then prepare well for the MCAT by studying hard during the required science classes, excelling, and then review before the MCAT.
If you do choose a science to major in, biochem is the shiz.

I have a BA in history. I didn't decide on medicine when I got it, but if I had to go back and re-do my undergrad I would get the same degree. +1 for getting a degree in a major that you enjoy. If it happens to be chemistry or biology then so be it.

Major in Natural Science. You have to take classes from bio, chem and physics. Some schools add onto it geology, which would be useless.

My personal opinion is that Chemistry or Physics majors prepare you better for the MCAT, and Biology majors prepare you better for medical school.

Critical thinking can be an innate skill, but courses in a Chemistry curriculum can really give you the analytical practice and intuition that flash carding through Biology won't give you.

But, when you're taking Histology and Physiology in med school, you'll be happy you took it in undergrad as a bio major.

In short, do what you want. It doesn't matter, really. Some people have the "stuff" necessary to study for a month for the MCAT and ace it. Most don't.

I get what you're saying on that. Why pick a hard course load early, that can't really allow you to get any good grades without trying real hard, and not have a life. I think then I would pick Psychology, or some easy major. That seems reasonable.

It's more than that. Med schools today are starting to diversify, and placing more of an emphasis on the humanities than before. 30 years ago (before I was even around) you could expect BIO and CHEM majors as having a much better shot of getting in, but that's not really the case today. From my understanding, medical schools cut hard-science majors more slack because it's harder to get good grades, but the % of hard-science majors being rejected is almost as high as non-science majors.

Just do what you enjoy, and take the pre-med requirements. I got this advice, oddly enough, from a DO who did a double major in CHEM and BIO for his undergrad. Go figure.

If you want, it might be beneficial to double major in CHEM and BIO. Both are big on the MCATs (so you might see your MCAT score improve), but both are also major parts of the pre-med curriculum, so you'll already have roughly half of each major done by doing the pre-med curriculum. As for me - classics and history. It's what I love, and if I get into med school with it - great! If not, I'll still enjoy teaching. :)

Music majors are the most likely group of college grads to be accepted to medical school!!! (I'm one of them). Many studies have reflected this.:)

Many non-science majors outperform their science major peers when it comes to the MCAT, USMLE, COMLEX, etc... as pointed out by a previous poster.

I must repeat what people have been saying so far. DO SOMETHING YOU ENJOY and if possible, something that could potentially be a job in case medical school doesn't work out for you. A lot of things can happen in 4 years....DO NOT pick a major based on passing the MCAT. That is just silly. Just make sure you have the pre-reqs and study like mad for the MCAT when the time comes. By the time you take it, the test won't be so "hard science" heavy anyway. So, enjoy studying your liberal arts!

And classics majors are what, #2 or #3? Pretty weird, but it probably has more to do with the type of person that pursues that major than it does the content of the major itself.

My big priority when choosing a major was how long would it take me to complete it. Personally I had no interest in spending an extra year of taking pre- reqs, so I chose a major, neuroscience, that covered all med school pre-reqs.

I just met a freshman pre med majoring in physics because he thought it would make him standout. Cue Exaggerated eye roll. Why spend an extra year taking hard science classes, when there are better legitimate non academic ways to stand out.

Last edited:
"I'm under special circumstances, and I'm wondering what is best for the MCAT. Chemistry is hard, but two components of it are on the MCAT. But biology is just memorization in a way, but it seems like it can prepare you for Med School , such as training you for memorization. What do you guys think."

Like everyone is saying, what you major in means squat if you don't like it or do well in it.

I'm a Chem major. I love it, I do good in it, and it's cool, for me. But the main thing is to get good grades, take all the prereqs and be ready for the MCAT. I think anyone would be better prepared for the MCAT by majoring in a science vs a soft science or arts, just by more exposure to the terms and the core courses.

If you don't go with a science-based major, I suggest adding Anatomy and Physiology to your schedule. It's very helpful in MCAT preparation.

Like others have said..choose a major that you are interested in and will get straight A's. The grade is the only thing that matters. But if you are dead set on chem or bio for the sake of the mcat..definitely take chemistry. It def helped with my mcat..I barely had to study chemistry for the test b/c I have done so much of it already. The bio you can learn in 1-2 weeks.

Like others have said..choose a major that you are interested in and will get straight A's. The grade is the only thing that matters. But if you are dead set on chem or bio for the sake of the mcat..definitely take chemistry. It def helped with my mcat..I barely had to study chemistry for the test b/c I have done so much of it already. The bio you can learn in 1-2 weeks.

Mostly agree with what everyone else said along these lines.

Being a chem major, I would love to say major in chem.

However, major in what you find interesting and like. Doesn't matter if you choose dance, art history, the physics of the flying disc (don't laugh - it was an actual major and the guy got a fabulous job at Whammo back in the day), performance guitar, or nuclear engineering. Just make sure you like and enjoy the subject. Don't major in something "easy"... easy is often boring and that leads to slacking and poor grades.

Well peeps. It's biology as my major next year.Sadly, I can't do chemistry, since there might not be room for my pre's.Good news is, biology fits in these and I love it.

Well peeps. It's biology as my major next year.Sadly, I can't do chemistry, since there might not be room for my pre's.Good news is, biology fits in these and I love it.

Good enough for me! Go rock it dude/ette!

Sadly, I can't do chemistry, since there might not be room for my pre's.

You can't fit Biology 1 and 2 in your schedule?

Most chem curriculums have gen chem, ochem, and physics built right in. At my school they have Bio 1 as well, just not Bio 2.

I find it unlikely that yours isn't like this.

Nah, it's more complicating, sort of. The pre-med advisor recomended that I take biology, since the extra requirements for the new MCAT would fit into it.I have cell and microbiology, added in and it would fit into the biology curriculm then the one biochemistry in the chemistry curriculm.

Nah, it's more complicating, sort of. The pre-med advisor recomended that I take biology, since the extra requirements for the new MCAT would fit into it.I have cell and microbiology, added in and it would fit into the biology curriculm then the one biochemistry in the chemistry curriculm.

Understood. I didn't realize that you would be taking the newer version of the MCAT.

Good luck. Take it from a fellow bio major: find your best study strategies early. Don't be afraid to adapt them, either. Up to this semester, I was a stone cold flash card nerd. I could learn anything through flashcards with extreme efficiency. Well, biochemistry is teaching me quickly that flashcards will only get me a B in the class, so now I'm expanding on that.

Once again, good luck. :thumbup:

You too. Who knows,I might see you in some hospital one day.

Cliche, but major in something you like. Expand your horizons, it'll make interesting and possibly stand out when applying.