Biology or Chemistry Major?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CraigC

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which of these studies would be a better fit for med school? Also can I begin studying today for the MCAT and where can I get this info? Are there practice tests? I am just begining my college career and I am trying to get myself in to a position where I understand all of what is in store for me. you know the do's and don'ts. Thanks for your advice......

Members don't see this ad.

It is common knowledge that you need not be a bio or chem major as a pre-requisite to med school. I would advise majoring in a subject that you are interested in and will do well in overall. I am returning to school after a seven year hiatus. My major is Geography. A subject I have always loved and will do well in. I started my pre-med schooling as a bio major and didn't care for botany, invertebrate zoology, etc. so I changed. My grades were up and I felt better. Getting A's in the required courses are crucial but don't think you have to major in a hard science to be accepted to a med school. A doc I work with told me that most undergraduate science coursework isn't essential knowledge for the practice of medicine but is to weed out those who cannot handle the intensive nature of med school. Med schools want educated applicants, not just 4.0 science majors. Good Luck.

Thanks for sharing those idea's. Nice to know there is a place to go and ask folks for their advice and sharing of experiences. Good luck to you
Originally posted by lebowski:
It is common knowledge that you need not be a bio or chem major as a pre-requisite to med school. I would advise majoring in a subject that you are interested in and will do well in overall. I am returning to school after a seven year hiatus. My major is Geography. A subject I have always loved and will do well in. I started my pre-med schooling as a bio major and didn't care for botany, invertebrate zoology, etc. so I changed. My grades were up and I felt better. Getting A's in the required courses are crucial but don't think you have to major in a hard science to be accepted to a med school. A doc I work with told me that most undergraduate science coursework isn't essential knowledge for the practice of medicine but is to weed out those who cannot handle the intensive nature of med school. Med schools want educated applicants, not just 4.0 science majors. Good Luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your major should be a field that interests you and should cultivate an excitement about learning.

Best of luck to you.

------------------
Joshua Paul Hazelton, CNA, EMT-B
[email protected]
University of the Sciences in Philadelphia (2002)
"D.O. Wannabe"

Howdy,

Whether you want to start studying for your MCAT now or not, you will be when fulfilling your pre-reqs.

Look at the schools you think that you might be interested in NOW and make sure that there isn't a hidden pre-req somewhere, such as a second psychology or english comp course.

The standards are eight to twelve credits, with labs, in physics, gen chem, orgo chem, biol, and possibly three to Six credits of Biochem, English, behavioral science and genetics, depending on the schools.

Thats at least two years of work, if not three since most schools want you to finish biol, gen and orgo chem before biochem, etc.

Consequently, except for biochem, you will be directly tested on the physics, biology, gen chem and orgo chem. So take GOOD notes and pay attention now, that way you can work smarter for longer and score higher, rather than being overcome by that sickening feeeling of impending DOOM!

good hunting

------------------
BSD
______
Work under the assumption that you will be happy one day

The best source of materials to prepare you for the actual exam is the Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC). You can purchase from them the MCAT Student Manual which has a thorough presentation of what the MCAT is about, sample questions with answers, how it is scored, etc. $20.

There are MCAT Practice Tests II, III, IV available, real exams already given. Questions on these and other such tests are prepared by professionals in test construction, not by amateurs like teachers and some review courses. The exam questions are copyrighted by AMCAS and no other organization may use them for test preparation courses. $20 each.
There is also a booklet, Scoring the MCAT Writing Sample: Examples of Writing Sample Responses and Explanation of Their Scores. $10.

Order from Association of American Medical Colleges, Department 66, Washington, DC 20055
202 828 0416 FAX: 202 828 1123

I haven't checked before writing this information, but it may well be on the AAMC web site: www.aamc.org

It is never too early to start preparing for the Writing Sample and Verbal Reasoning test.

Test-taking skill, rather than subject matter knowledge, is 50% or more of earning
high scores, especially in Verbal Reasoning.

You have your work cut out for you.

CraigC, on your question about which to major in...Bio or Chem??...this is what i tell pre-med students that are just starting out...."imagine you werent pre-med...would you major in bio or chem?"....usually, they say "NO"....if thats the case with you...then do yourself a favor and choose a major that interests you. There are many advantages to this...including a higher probability of doing well in your major, which means a higher overall GPA, which makes your application stronger for med school when the time comes. Until then just study hard and try to get as many A's as you can....good luck.

DOCTORSAIB