Biology or Psychology Major

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
C

cvpmvp33

hello all,
I am still confused on what to major in. I will be a junior and am currently a psychology major with a minor in Bio. But i was thinking about to just switch to Biology as a major. However, I do need to raise my g.p.a a bit so i thought doing a psychology major would be better to raise my g.p.a, and just take microbio, cell bio, genetics, biochemistry, and anatomy and physiology on the side. What do you guys think????

Members don't see this ad.

I think you should major in whichever you like the best! Are you thinking of switching because you like the biology classes better? While being a biology major might make it easier to squeeze those prereqs in, it doesn't help you get into school. You might know that already...I just thought I'd throw that in.

And try to do well in whatever classes you take. They will look at your overall GPA, yes, but they will also look at your science and/or prereq GPA. So those biology grades won't be completely buffered should you decide to go the psych route. So I don't think that should be your deciding factor.

My opinion: do what you enjoy...you will be a happier student in general and less burned out when you arrive at optometry school. Do your best and you will be fine. :) Good luck!

4Eyes said:
I think you should major in whichever you like the best! Are you thinking of switching because you like the biology classes better? While being a biology major might make it easier to squeeze those prereqs in, it doesn't help you get into school. You might know that already...I just thought I'd throw that in.

And try to do well in whatever classes you take. They will look at your overall GPA, yes, but they will also look at your science and/or prereq GPA. So those biology grades won't be completely buffered should you decide to go the psych route. So I don't think that should be your deciding factor.

My opinion: do what you enjoy...you will be a happier student in general and less burned out when you arrive at optometry school. Do your best and you will be fine. :) Good luck!

great advice :thumbup: :thumbup:
i picked my major beause it was pretty much what optometry schools wanted- HUGE mistake if i could go back i would change my major to something that i actually liked like...psychology :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
I am actually in the same boat as you. I started as a Bio major, psych minor. Then I feel in love with psych and took so many classes I almost had my degree. So I switched to Psych major and bio minor last spring. I will be a senior in the fall and now I am wondering if it was the right decision. I am considering getting a double major in psych and bio. My reason behind it is that if I don't get into optometry school (hopefully, this will not be an issue, but I must have a back up plan), I will have two degrees to fall back on. Most psych majors don't get good jobs or jobs that I find interesting or financially secure ,from what I have seen unless you go to grad school. So that way I am securing my future a little more. I would hate to suffer through opt prereq courses and end up with a degree in psych when I graduate and not get into opt school. Then I would be stuck being a social worker :smuggrin: (one of the jobs many psych majors do.............) I think a biology degree would give me a better range of career options.

Just my opinion.........but it keeps changing.................

opt_princess said:
...My reason behind it is that if I don't get into optometry school (hopefully, this will not be an issue, but I must have a back up plan), I will have two degrees to fall back on....

Just FYI: Many schools will ask you when you interview what you'll do if you don't get in. It's their way of seeing how dedicated you are to the field. If you didn't get in, what would stop you from beefing up your stats and reapplying?

I would reapply, but I would have to work on during the time I am reapplying, in addition to doing whatever it takes to get me in the next year. I don't find that there are many good paying jobs you can do with only a psych degree. You would need grade school for that. With a biology degree there are alot of jobs I feel that I would be qualified for and could do during the time I am reapplying. I am very dedicated to becoming an optometrist, but I am also a realistic person. I am aware that my bills are never going to stop coming in regardless of what is going on with school or the application process. I plan to prepare for all possiblilites that may arise.

4Eyes said:
Just FYI: Many schools will ask you when you interview what you'll do if you don't get in. It's their way of seeing how dedicated you are to the field. If you didn't get in, what would stop you from beefing up your stats and reapplying?

opt_princess said:
I would reapply, but I would have to work on during the time I am reapplying, in addition to doing whatever it takes to get me in the next year. I don't find that there are many good paying jobs you can do with only a psych degree. You would need grade school for that. With a biology degree there are alot of jobs I feel that I would be qualified for and could do during the time I am reapplying. I am very dedicated to becoming an optometrist, but I am also a realistic person. I am aware that my bills are never going to stop coming in regardless of what is going on with school or the application process. I plan to prepare for all possiblilites that may arise.
I gotcha. I didn't mean to sound rude if I did...I was just checking. :)

I agree that you should pick whichever major you enjoy most! Most Optometry schools do not weigh your undergrad major as heavily as how well you do on pre-req's, but they do mention that having a science degree such as bio, chem, etc. can help when transitioning into harder science classes in opt school. I think taking various pre-reqs and sciences classes in general can help regardless of your major and you may not necessarily need to have the bio degree.
I was also in a similar situation as you with a Psych major. As I took pre-reqs for Bio, I found I really liked it, and decided to take an extra quarter of school to complete a double major in Bio and Psych. It was a tough decision to make b/c I knew I wouldn't be on the same timed track as most pre-opt students, but I don't regret it at all. I also found that they were helpful landing jobs, particularly research positions, if you are looking in that area. Regardless of which major you choose, whether it be Bio, Psych, or both, they are excellent choices to prep you for Opt school which I hope you will do well and get in w/o a prob:) Good luck!

Look, I am 34 years old with a Master of Science degree from the Department of Applied Behavioral Studies & Educational PSYCHOLOGY specializing in Community Counseling (4.0 GPA). One of the last job interviews I went to, I was offered $9 per hour after 8 years of college. DO YOUR PRE-REQ'S, TAKE THE HARD CLASSES SO YOU WILL BE PREPARED FOR OPT SCHOOL. I loved psychology, too--until I found out that I might as well dropped out of high school to get the kind of jobs I'm finding in this underpaid, overstressed, unappreciated social services field. That's not to mention the lawsuit I currently am filing b/c I have been accused of falsifying documents over a simple typographical error (I put the wrong person's 1st name only on a treatment plan and got fired). Maybe it has something do with the scandolous ways of New Orleans--I don't know. But, I do know that I have been a damn good social worker (and I have proof of that) for over 10 years, am living off of unemployment & food stamps, and forking over $500 to $5,000 to sue the *@?!* out of this state for defamation of character. Please listen!!!! If you want to lighten your load a little--then take a couple of psych classes like abnormal psych or physio psych. Stay far, far away from history of psych & quantitative methods psych. But please make sure you ACE all of your pre-reqs for opt school. Trust me, you will want to go to opt school, become a doctor, and make a great salary--unless, of course, you want to be held responsible for solving all the world's problems, all the agency's problems, shop at Target for all your clothes, eat fast food habitually, get fired, and then enter a nasty lawsuit against the State that you have devoted the past 10+ years of your life to. Optometry versus psychology? OPT hands down! Also, forget about paying off a student loan with a major in psych--default, defer, default, defer. Dig?

dandyspange said:
Look, I am 34 years old with a Master of Science degree from the Department of Applied Behavioral Studies & Educational PSYCHOLOGY specializing in Community Counseling (4.0 GPA). One of the last job interviews I went to, I was offered $9 per hour after 8 years of college. DO YOUR PRE-REQ'S, TAKE THE HARD CLASSES SO YOU WILL BE PREPARED FOR OPT SCHOOL. I loved psychology, too--until I found out that I might as well dropped out of high school to get the kind of jobs I'm finding in this underpaid, overstressed, unappreciated social services field. That's not to mention the lawsuit I currently am filing b/c I have been accused of falsifying documents over a simple typographical error (I put the wrong person's 1st name only on a treatment plan and got fired). Maybe it has something do with the scandolous ways of New Orleans--I don't know. But, I do know that I have been a damn good social worker (and I have proof of that) for over 10 years, am living off of unemployment & food stamps, and forking over $500 to $5,000 to sue the *@?!* out of this state for defamation of character. Please listen!!!! If you want to lighten your load a little--then take a couple of psych classes like abnormal psych or physio psych. Stay far, far away from history of psych & quantitative methods psych. But please make sure you ACE all of your pre-reqs for opt school. Trust me, you will want to go to opt school, become a doctor, and make a great salary--unless, of course, you want to be held responsible for solving all the world's problems, all the agency's problems, shop at Target for all your clothes, eat fast food habitually, get fired, and then enter a nasty lawsuit against the State that you have devoted the past 10+ years of your life to. Optometry versus psychology? OPT hands down! Also, forget about paying off a student loan with a major in psych--default, defer, default, defer. Dig?

looks like Optometry is not the worst profession after all!