biology question...please explain?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

salamanda

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
sDASDF

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I always have a problem with this type of question. Please help.

55) Cells would be unable to form cilia or flagella if they did not have
A) centrosomes.
B) ribosomes.
C) actin.
D) A and B only
E) A, B, and C

OK, so the answer is like this:

Ribosomes are required for protein synthesis- cilia & flagella are both composed of proteins.
Actin is required for flagella assembly (remember the 9+2 rule??).
The tricky one is the centrosomes answer. But even if you didn't know that centrosomes are made of & ORGANIZE structual components (microtubules) that also compose both cilia & flagella, just knowing that ribosomes & actin are both required could only lead you to choice C.

OK, so the answer is like this:

Ribosomes are required for protein synthesis- cilia & flagella are both composed of proteins.
Actin is required for flagella assembly (remember the 9+2 rule??).
The tricky one is the centrosomes answer. But even if you didn't know that centrosomes are made of & ORGANIZE structual components (microtubules) that also compose both cilia & flagella, just knowing that ribosomes & actin are both required could only lead you to choice C.

i agree with ribosomes and actin. but centrosomes are made up of microtubules. doesnt mean it makes flagela and cilia.

A) centrosomes.
B) ribosomes.
C) actin.
D) A and B only
E) A, B, and C

This seems like a tricky one but i say the Answer is D. For two reasons. First, as was stated, you need protein for flagella. Second, flagella are largely composed of tublin fibers, this si where it gets stick, if a cell has cetrosomes then it must have tublin fibers. Giving it everything it needs to form cilia or flagella. Actin is used in cytoplasmic streaming, so you can rule that one out. Answer in my opinion is D

Members don't see this ad :)
a cell needs centroosmes to make flqgella or cillia. I think answer is d.

Last edited:
Sir i thought u were ready for the sciences. Remember the link i posted on the thread u started? Well if you look at it, you will notice that one of the reference books that the ADA uses to make the DAT, Is the 8th edition biology campbell and reece book. If you turn to page 114 unit two. You will read and i will quote, "In eukaryotes, a specialized arrangement fo microtubules is responsible for the beating of Flagella and Cilia." Remember that all the tublin fibers int eh cell will originate from the centrosome. Therefore without one, you dont have a functional flagella or cilia. therefore i stand by D. Answer is D. Review the refernce books they are alot of help.

Last edited:
Sir i thought u were ready for the sciences. Remember the link i posted on the thread u started? Well if you look at it, you will notice that one of the reference books that the ADA uses to make the DAT, Is the 8th edition biology campbell and reece book. If you turn to page 114 unit two. You will read and i will quote, "In eukaryotes, a specialized arrangement fo microtubules is responsible for the beating of Flagella and Cilia." Remember that all the tublin fibers int eh cell will originate from the centrosome. Therefore without one, you dont have a functional flagella or cilia. therefore i stand by D. Answer is D. Review the refernce books they are alot of help.

what's your point

HAHA i like how sciencegod edited the post and ended up "agreeing" after being proved wrong while the very next post has his original post quoted!

this question sucks. in cilia and flagella you generally don't refer to it as a centrosome but rather a basal body. basal bodies and centrosomes are both microtubule organizing centers, but centrosome is usually a term referring to cytoplasmic MT's...

actualy, the answer is b because i read that in prokaryote s flagela is not made of tubuluin but flagellin.

A) centrosomes.
B) ribosomes.
C) actin.
D) A and B only
E) A, B, and C

It is refering to all cells. Pro and Eukaryotic

I don't get it. It obviously needs ribosomes and I agree there.
But what if a cell did not have centrosomes but could make them. I understand it will eventually need them to create the flagella.

I don't get it. It obviously needs ribosomes and I agree there.
But what if a cell did not have centrosomes but could make them. I understand it will eventually need them to create the flagella.

this is like one of those Q's in SAT prep classes (i teach one) that they sorta tell you too look out for and read twice. The Qs is merely asking which of the two structure must you have for a cell to properly function with flagella or cilia. There are 2 Major components involved here, tublin fibers, and protein. All the microtubles orginate from the centrosome. So to technically speaking this Qs is saying, which of these 3 things is essential, (its not asking for an extreme) Dont think deeper then you need to. Yes there are exceptions however the most hollistic asnwer is tublin fibers and ribosomes. in other words think of both as the place of orgin if i may of what a flagella or a cilia is primarily composed of, Proteins comes from the ribosomes, and teh microtubles come from the centrosomes. For you to have these two ingredients you will need both Asnwer choices A and B. :) i think it was A and B, well the answer is D. Hope that kinda clears it up.

this is like one of those Q's in SAT prep classes (i teach one) that they sorta tell you too look out for and read twice. The Qs is merely asking which of the two structure must you have for a cell to properly function with flagella or cilia. There are 2 Major components involved here, tublin fibers, and protein. All the microtubles orginate from the centrosome. So to technically speaking this Qs is saying, which of these 3 things is essential, (its not asking for an extreme) Dont think deeper then you need to. Yes there are exceptions however the most hollistic asnwer is tublin fibers and ribosomes. in other words think of both as the place of orgin if i may of what a flagella or a cilia is primarily composed of, Proteins comes from the ribosomes, and teh microtubles come from the centrosomes. For you to have these two ingredients you will need both Asnwer choices A and B. :) i think it was A and B, well the answer is D. Hope that kinda clears it up.

Thanks Sub, I think I got it now.