JohnDoeDDS

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 26, 2004
Status
Just a quckie that I want to make sure. I took Introducttion to Bio a couple of years ago in the summer. It wasnt the easy bio though that is 3 credits, the one I took is 4 credits and is including lab...

Now will I be done with my bio req if I simply take Bio II, or do I have to take Bio I since it is part of the "series". Like righ tnow I am taking Chem I, and in summer Chem II, there is also Intro to chem but I was told that will not be counted. So any1 know anything about my bio situation? Thanks.

wimmcs

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 16, 2003
Arizona
Visit site
Status
JohnDoeDDS said:
Just a quckie that I want to make sure. I took Introducttion to Bio a couple of years ago in the summer. It wasnt the easy bio though that is 3 credits, the one I took is 4 credits and is including lab...

Now will I be done with my bio req if I simply take Bio II, or do I have to take Bio I since it is part of the "series". Like righ tnow I am taking Chem I, and in summer Chem II, there is also Intro to chem but I was told that will not be counted. So any1 know anything about my bio situation? Thanks.

Make sure that the BIO's you are taking are part of a pre-med/pre-dental/pre-professional program. Into to bio sounds fishy to me. Talk to someone in the bio. dept of your school, let them know of your plans (attending d-school) and ask them which class you should be taking to fullfill the pre-reqs. An advisor would also be o.k., but my experience with all academic advisors has been TERRIBLE. (they have offered BAD advice on many occasions, so I don't go anymore). If in fact you took the correct bio I course, then yes, take the second part to fullfill the bio pre-reqs. Good luck!

Nendo21

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 23, 2004
Visit site
Status
JohnDoeDDS said:

if you look at the websites of the dental schools you are interested in some have a list of courses you need to take in order to qualify for admission, i don't know if the classes you are taking are sufficient since you will be competing with applicants who have a lot more classtime under their belt.

this is what BU's website has:

required courses
Biology. One-and-one-half years with lab (12 semester hours). Sugested courses include basic biology, genetics, embryology, molecular biology, cell biology, and biochemistry.

Chemistry. Two years with lab (16 semester hours). A sound understanding of the basic principles of inorganic and organic chemistry is required. The 16 semester hours should be divided equally between general and organic chemistry courses.

Physics. One year with lab (8 semester hours). Students should know the general principles of physical laws and phenomena, including courses in mechanics, light, heat, sound, electricity, and radiation.

English. One year or the equivalent at the college level, even if the student received advanced credit on entry into college.

Mathematics. One year (6 semester hours). A basic understanding of calculus is needed.

cowsgomoo

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 9, 2004
Alpharetta, GA
Status
Hey you might want to check with the department head about taking bio 2 after the intro class. At least at Georgia state we have this sequence where if you take the intro to bio class then bio 2 and then this one other bio class that all translate to have take bio 1 and 2 and that’s what shows up on the transcript.

ItsGavinC

Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Oct 7, 2001
Arizona
Status
Dentist
Any courses that are classified as "bio" should count. Some schools may require you to take certain "bio" courses, however, but those are relatively rare.

MOST students take a Bio I and Bio II course, in that order, simply because they are prereqs for further bio courses that are required for their science majors.

Take physiology, histology, immunology, animal sciences, whatever you want. It shouldn't matter.

Sprgrover

Pulped out Moderator
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 4, 2004
Philadelphia, PA
Status
ItsGavinC said:
Any courses that are classified as "bio" should count.
Although if the course is listed on his/her transcript as "intro" some dental school might not count it towards their admissions requirements. I would contact your pre-professional advisor and maybe a couple of dental schools to see what the consensus is. Remember, one of the goals behind requiring a student to take such courses is to guage the likelyhood of success in dental school. And along those lines you might be able to get away with an intro course if you augment your transcript with upper-division science courses (and do well in them) so as to demonstrate your ability to handle the material (something Gavin hinted at).

Aero047

Another among the masses
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2004
Somewhere on earth
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
I'm taking Biology 101 and 102, both introductory classes. But I'm pretty sure they count for dental school...

OP
J

JohnDoeDDS

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 26, 2004
Status
yep it will count. Just talked to the head of bio dept. I should be okay. However I didnt know that I should be taking 3 bio classes if I want to apply to BU!!! Thats crazy. Also I only took calculus college allowed me to skip pre-calc. I got a C- though, but I recieved an A- in Bio 1, and an A in Statistics. Any1 know if the stat. class can count as a "math" class? Also for BU is that reccomended bio? Will I be able to get in simply with bio 1, and bio 2?

Nendo21

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 23, 2004
Visit site
Status
JohnDoeDDS said:
yep it will count. Just talked to the head of bio dept. I should be okay. However I didnt know that I should be taking 3 bio classes if I want to apply to BU!!! Thats crazy. Also I only took calculus college allowed me to skip pre-calc. I got a C- though, but I recieved an A- in Bio 1, and an A in Statistics. Any1 know if the stat. class can count as a "math" class? Also for BU is that reccomended bio? Will I be able to get in simply with bio 1, and bio 2?
Whats so crazy about it??? Sorry but 3 bio classes is nothing i've been taking 2 each semester of my undergrad, so unless you are another major 3 bio classes is nothing, they obviously cannot tell your performance with so few classes on your record, you should really take some more science classes. i know people who got accepted without finishing undergrad but they had a lot more bio credits than just the required course work (genetics and microbio, A&P). as to your C-, i think you have to retake that because most schools say that they don't want to see anything lower than a C on your pre rec's then again calc is not a pre rec for many schools but if you want it to count towards your admission you should retake it. Stats will definately count in. you could also take something easier than calc and have it count towards the required courses.

Nendo21

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 23, 2004
Visit site
Status
JohnDoeDDS said:
your school obviously shouldn't have let you skip that pre-calc class...and no if you want to have a chance at BU you can apply with only two bio classes, but if you are accepted in order to attend BU you have to have finished the required number of courses which for them means 3 bio classes... :eek:

OP
J

JohnDoeDDS

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 26, 2004
Status
thanks Nendo. I guess you are right about the 3 bio classes. It just seems like a lot to me because I am a business major and currently a senior. So Im trying to finish as many classes as possible right now for my pre-med, since I only decided about dental school this semester :(

I don't think I will be re-taking calc though because like u said its not part of the pre-reqs, and if worst comes to worst I can take it the summer before dental school right? Do you think that they will accept me but tell me something like I need to get a C in calc before I get accepted or something like that? I remember posting a similar thread a while back, and people said that it wasn't a problem. It sucks because our school doesnt have a dental advisor. I guess I will just have to talk with the people from the science dept.

And regarding me skipping pre-calc. I am really good in math, and actually took AP Calc but only got a 3 on the exam because I thougth its all I needed to get credit for it. Turns out I needed a 4. And it was my freshman year so I figured it would be a breeze...