Biology requirement question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NickiM84

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduated NYU last spring (of 06) and have been teaching High school biology for the past year as I figure out what it is I want to do with my life (leaning towards dentistry and taking the DATs in August). While attending NYU I took all major health profession requirements despite my major being Biology Education (i.e. gen chem I/II, orgo I/II, etc.) I also took many high level biology courses (i.e. genetics, immunology, evolution, env field study, molecular and cellular bio, etc.) HOWEVER, I placed out of general bio I/II (and its labs) due to AP scores in high school. I'm wondering if this will hinder me during the application process. Is it necessary to have taken general bio I/II w/ labs if you've taken upper level bio courses???

Members don't see this ad.

You received credit for bio, hence demonstrating your knowledge of the subject. Granted, college level biology is usually much more difficult than AP Bio (even though the same subject material is covered), and adcoms would probably rather have you complete college level pre-reqs, but I think your completion of high level bio courses will diminish all doubt of your ability.

I know that a few schools will accept AP credit in high school for required classes. Check with you schools you would like to apply to to be safe.

I graduated NYU last spring (of 06) and have been teaching High school biology for the past year as I figure out what it is I want to do with my life (leaning towards dentistry and taking the DATs in August). While attending NYU I took all major health profession requirements despite my major being Biology Education (i.e. gen chem I/II, orgo I/II, etc.) I also took many high level biology courses (i.e. genetics, immunology, evolution, env field study, molecular and cellular bio, etc.) HOWEVER, I placed out of general bio I/II (and its labs) due to AP scores in high school. I'm wondering if this will hinder me during the application process. Is it necessary to have taken general bio I/II w/ labs if you've taken upper level bio courses???

If you placed out of Gen Bio I & II and took Molec Cell at NYU, then you're fine. That's a option that NYU offers incoming pre-health freshman who place out - they try to steer you away from that becuase from what I've heard Molec Cell with Scicchitano is a damn hard class! I would double check with the schools that you're interested, but if you've taken all those higher level bio classes, then I don't think it'll be a problem.