biology!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
S

sle3pyguii

Does anyone know of any good biology study guides?

I just bombed my first midterm (58%). I studied for it and everything. Biology is just not my subject. so if anyone knows any good study guides, thatd be great.

Members don't see this ad.

They have biology laminated study cards at the schools bookstore. Those might help.
On a side note, if bio aint your subject you shouldn't major in pharmacy as it deals with a lot of bio. Unless you have no background in bio then its ok...it'll come around eventually.

Does anyone know of any good biology study guides?

I just bombed my first midterm (58%). I studied for it and everything. Biology is just not my subject. so if anyone knows any good study guides, thatd be great.

Study hard and you will do great. Once you set your mind on something, you will DO IT. You may want to re-write your notes over to remember your notes. Was it an essay-based test or question-based?

Members don't see this ad :)
What area did you have trouble with? It's hard to remember back to Bio I.

Sometimes the book your prof is using just plain sucks. This may be the case for you...it may not come as easy to you as others but that's ok, you just might have to work harder for it. I still have my Bio 101 book and used it for more advanced classes to brush up sometimes all throughout my undergrad. My advice would be to try and study in groups b/c sometimes when a classmate explains things it is easier to understand and it benefits the person teaching you as well. I knew that if I could explain concepts to someone else that I had actually learned them and it was a form of review for me.

If that doesn't work...use the internet, don't waste money on other books. If you don't get, say for example, Meiosis, then google it and I'm sure you can find free tutorials. Hang in there, learning how to study and manage time is half the battle to succeeding in any professional program. As a freshman and sophomore that was my biggest challenge...all I cared about was where we were drinking and what girls were coming over...eventually you grow up, even if you don't really want to.

I always use flashcards to study for bio and anatomy tests. They work well for me because reading over the info doesn't force me to remember it, but quizzing myself with the cards does. But that only works if they are definition or multiple choice tests...i'm guessing it wouldn't work too well for essay tests. Thankfully, I haven't come across those in science classes.

Biology I is jeopardy in my opinion. Make flash cards or whatever works best for you because for the most part you are memorizing a lot of facts that don't always tie into together. There are not many mechanisms so it can take some time to hold the information in your head. Don't worry though when you get into higher level biology classes, it is much more interesting and the mechanisms make sense and things tie together. For me it wasn't until i got to the upper division classes that i realized i really like the subject matter Pharmacy will have me deal with, but how you do in those lower division classes is a sign of how you will do later on. So work hard, find a study group, go see the teacher and pull an A on midterm #2!

Notes won't help :) You need to work on those illustrations. Study them well and retake the quizzes MANY TIMES.

Most computer labs at school have Biology cds that you can use (including organic chemistry).

Schaum's makes awesome study guides. I have a library of them.

I always consolidated lecture notes with text/other source info into a single source... and then just reviewed and quizzed myself . Most importantly, and someone else said this as well, is to make illustrations... gives you the visualization of the process and easy to recall. It will help with essays/short answer as well... in cell bio we had to describe mechanisms and would have to draw them as well.

I think everyone's posts prove a great point. Find out what is the best style for you to learn the material and stick to that. Personally, just printing powerpoint presentations and learning from them worked. others have to hear it read it write it etc. good luck to you in school

Speaking of struggling in Bio, Human Anatomy is just CRAZY hard! I did horrible on the first Lab Practical (so did the rest of the class).

I am an A student so...

Human anatomy was tough for me at first and still is, I am in second term of it. Flash cards!!!!! Take cards to the gym when doing cardio or while watching Tv during commercials. Keep it fresh because a good understanding of anatomy makes physiology interesting and easier.
For me notes and flash cards have always been the best way to study, I have never tried one of those cds that come in my science books, but I say give it a shot if notes aren't working for you.

I just had my practical anatomy midterm yesterday also, over the the craniel and peripheral nerves. I am not sure how I did, but I didn't get an A that's for sure, hard to focus when all I can think about is when are Pharm Schools going to email me and tell me if I will be a Pharm student next year or not.

I don't know how your Anatomy class is structured but when I took it there were zero pictures on the tests. Everything was asked as to force you to think about the orientation of parts to each other. Talk about a headache. out of 200 people only about 65 people got either an A or B.

Speaking of struggling in Bio, Human Anatomy is just CRAZY hard! I did horrible on the first Lab Practical (so did the rest of the class).

I am an A student so...

My A/P book came with a workbook. No homework was ever assigned, but labeling the bones in the bone section and the bone features, etc helped them sink into my head about the same as making flash cards. I've never really made flashcards, but if I hadn't at least gone through the process of doing something to help match names/locations I'd have never gotten past that section. The good thing about A&P is almost everything is named to match location, function, direction, etc having to do with what the thing named is/does. If you can related the structure to the function/location it usually makes learning them easier. (Mastoid process Mast=breast a la mastectomy.) Mastoid process is breast shaped process (protrusion) on lower skull. This may be a stretch but you can see how everything relates. They named the structure based on what it looks like (mast) and what it is (process).

Any textbook should be fine. If you don't care for the one you are using, find another one. Cliff's Notes has a review, but it is very basic.

I am an A student so...

I got a 90 on the first lecture exam. HOLLA!