Biology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctorSaab

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are biology majors looked at as a plus by dental schools? Or are all different majors looked at equally? What is your opinion on the issue?

Members don't see this ad.

All majors are looked upon equally, as long as you have good DAT scores and good grades on the pre-reqs. However, IMO, Biology/Chemistry majors tend to have an easier time with the basic science classes in dental school. I'm not saying they make better grades in DS, I have just heard that individuals with upper level biology classes have seen the material before and it is familiar to them. For example, I was a Biology major and took many upper level Biology classes that I will see again in dental school. Now, I know dental school is a whole other animal, but I think I will have an advantage since I have already had Biochemistry, Molecular Genetics, Human Anatomy/Physiology, Microbial Physiology, etc, etc. These classes were all required for my degree plan and are all classes I will see in some shape way or form in dental school.

On the otherhand, you only experience college once so you need to major in what interests YOU. I chose Biology becasue I loved the classes I was taking and thoroughly enjoyed the subject matter. Plus, I did feel confident the classes I was taking were preparing me well for Med/Dental school as I had upper classmen friends who were accepted to Med/ Dent schools who told me there Basic Science classes were a breeze after taking them at my Undergrad.

And, majoring in something different can actually increase your chances of addmision, in my opinion. Majoring in English, Music, Philosophy, etc will surely set you apart from the "typical" pre-health student....And setting yourself apart is winning half the battle of the admissions process!!

Good Luck, and follow your interests and personal goals