Biomedical and Community Health Research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Daydreamer2020

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently pursuing a MSPH in Tropical Medicine and I am trying to figure out my next moves for after I graduate. I enjoy conducting
Microbio & Immuno bench research but recently I have felt very drawn to community health research focused on health disparities and determinants of health. For example, I'd love to do lab research on oncoviruses but at the same time I'd like to work with populations often afflicted with oncoviruses and try to figure out the factors involved, prevention, policy, education, etc. But I recognize that these are two very different areas of work and I am not aware of any specific professions that let you do both.

If you know of any such profession, or have suggestions/advice, it would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I think that academia would get you closest. Academic institutions tend to have more leeway in the direction you take your work that government or for-profit organizations. Not sure if you have any interest in getting a PhD.. if so, that would open up doors for tenured faculty positions that would allow you to have your own lab and also pursue other research interests.

Reactions: 1 user
I think that academia would get you closest. Academic institutions tend to have more leeway in the direction you take your work that government or for-profit organizations. Not sure if you have any interest in getting a PhD.. if so, that would open up doors for tenured faculty positions that would allow you to have your own lab and also pursue other research interests.

Yes I have noticed that many people in academia tend to dip into other areas and collaborate on projects pretty different from their own area of research. I am thinking of getting a PhD, probably in something biomedical. I guess it's just a matter of working for an institution that would give me the ability to incorporate these interests