Biomedical Engineering/Chemical Engineering/Pharmacist for Pharmaceutical Research & Development

Started by Grooth
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Grooth

New Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello mates. I just want some information about which degree is preferred for Pharmaceutical Research and Development.

Background:
I am a Y1 1st semester Pre-Pharmacy student. I have been considering R&D career in pharmaceutics. I am currently enroll in general ed course during this semester and next semester also. The university that I am attend does not have biomedical or chemical engineering program, but they do offer a B.S. in chemistry. My university is also a 2 + 4 for pharmacy school. The pharmacy program is mostly based on community pharmacy than clinical or pharmaceutical research and development. If i would like to pursue biomedical or chemical engineering i will have to transfer university if i do not pursue B.S. in chemistry. Most pharmaceutical and biomedical companies requires at least a Bachelor, Master, and Ph,D.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciative!
 
For research, a PhD or even Master's is much more useful than a pharmacy degree. Do not get a pharmacy degree unless you want to practice pharmacy (retail makes up about 70% of the jobs followed by 20-25% hospital dispensing), as doing so would be a complete waste of tuition money.
 
For research, a PhD or even Master's is much more useful than a pharmacy degree. Do not get a pharmacy degree unless you want to practice pharmacy (retail makes up about 70% of the jobs followed by 20-25% hospital dispensing), as doing so would be a complete waste of tuition money.
Thanks for the reply!