Biomedical Engineering/Chemical Engineering/Pharmacist for Pharmaceutical Research & Development

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Grooth

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello mates. I just want some information about which degree is preferred for Pharmaceutical Research and Development.

Background:
I am a Y1 1st semester Pre-Pharmacy student. I have been considering R&D career in pharmaceutics. I am currently enroll in general ed course during this semester and next semester also. The university that I am attend does not have biomedical or chemical engineering program, but they do offer a B.S. in chemistry. My university is also a 2 + 4 for pharmacy school. The pharmacy program is mostly based on community pharmacy than clinical or pharmaceutical research and development. If i would like to pursue biomedical or chemical engineering i will have to transfer university if i do not pursue B.S. in chemistry. Most pharmaceutical and biomedical companies requires at least a Bachelor, Master, and Ph,D.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciative!

Members don't see this ad.

For research, a PhD or even Master's is much more useful than a pharmacy degree. Do not get a pharmacy degree unless you want to practice pharmacy (retail makes up about 70% of the jobs followed by 20-25% hospital dispensing), as doing so would be a complete waste of tuition money.

For research, a PhD or even Master's is much more useful than a pharmacy degree. Do not get a pharmacy degree unless you want to practice pharmacy (retail makes up about 70% of the jobs followed by 20-25% hospital dispensing), as doing so would be a complete waste of tuition money.
Thanks for the reply!