Biomedical Research or Community Research?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Quaestor

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm applying for a summer research program in which I have to choose between Biomedical or Community-based research.

Biomedical includes typical molecular and cellular research in a lab, pathology patterns, reviewing medical histories of patients, and researching a clinical/hospital setting and its efficiency and educational promotions.

Community-based research focuses on health, insurance, development, and healthcare issues among local communities.

I would try for Biomedical, but I didn't do so well in Biology last semester (Got a C in a grade-deflated school; I'm bringing it up this semester, but the program adcom won't really know about it until after the fact). Would my poor biology grade hinder my chances? I got A's both semesters of gen. chem and physics and a B in orgo, but it's biology that's worrying me.

I also would be interested in the community-based research, but I'm afraid med schools won't be as impressed with community-based research as they would be with biomedical. The community-based research does focus primarily on health and healthcare, so it's not entirely irrelevant.

This would also be my first research experience ever, so I have no prior research experience under my belt.

I'm also interested in psychiatry if I somehow end up in med school, though I know this is WAAY too soon to tell, but the research application wants to know my career interests. A non-related question: is psychiatry more socially oriented or scientifically oriented? I want to know because if it's more socially oriented then the community-based research might prove to be even more relevant if I go that route.

Members don't see this ad.

Biomed or community-based research? No one cares. Do whatever interests you.

I am writing my honors thesis on obesity and hospitalization charges; I got 9 IIs this cycle.

For the psych question, it probably depends, but just know that science is the foundation of medicine.

^See, that's where I keep hearing different answers. I'm still worried that a C in Bio is gonna stain my application.

Members don't see this ad :)
You never know what happens until you actually apply (same is true for med school btw).

Apply to multiple programs to increase your chances. It really depends on what you want to do more (biomed v. community).

that community research seems to be boring. You will get your fare share of dealing with insurances when you are a practicing doctor. For now, enjoy some cool science in that biomedical research!

Thing is, the community research actually sounds fun. You get to actually interact with people. Personally, I find the community research more interesting, but I hear med schools prefer biomed research over any type of research.

Med schools prefer things that show investment and passion. If you can't really get into biomed research, but you're really excited about community research, go community all the way and don't look back.

I would do community research just because it sounds different. In the end, the research you to doesn't really matter, just as long as you do some research