Biomes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hoabangkhuang

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi,

I want to know if Kaplan is sufficient for this section. Do I need to know the locations as well? Thanks everyone.

Members don't see this ad.

woah...it's only been a few hours since you posted...not everyone responds immediately.

The only thing I noticed about Kaplan's biome stuff is that is didn't distinguish between different types of tropical biomes and ignored the chapparal biome. Beyond that, it seems fine.

djeffreyt said:
woah...it's only been a few hours since you posted...not everyone responds immediately.

The only thing I noticed about Kaplan's biome stuff is that is didn't distinguish between different types of tropical biomes and ignored the chapparal biome. Beyond that, it seems fine.

wait theres more than one type of tropical biome? could you give a little more info?

Members don't see this ad :)
Look, I haven't taken the DAT so I don't know if this will make any difference, so it may be a waste of time to learn all the nit picky stuff about ecosystems, but here is what I understand...I could be wrong.

Tropical Deciduous Forests
Winters are warm and dryer, and summer are heavy rains. These biomes are usually a little further north and south of the equator than the other tropical biome. Crap loads of animals like birds, reptiles, etc. Agriculturally better than other tropical biome for growing crops. Trees can actually lose leaves during the dry season, unline other tropical biome

Tropical Evergreen Forest
This is the tropical forest Kaplan describes...evergreen trees and vines, huge assortment of animals, warm and rainy all year long, etc.

There is also Chaparral - usually found in coastal regions of california and the mediterranian (sp). It;s mostly a small rodent, bird, and insect biome with schrubs and a few low growing tree types.

Also there is Savannah which I forget if Kaplan talks about. Savannah is like...middle of africa stuff. hoofed grazing animals dominate...and their predators of course. Savannahs are dry and arid, they lack rainfall except for a short rainy season in summer when floods could actually occur. If you ever watch National geographic and sea them trapsing with lions and zebras...that's a savannah

I think Kaplan's materials should be sufficient for this section as the DAT doesn't ask much about this topic. When I took the DAT last year, there was no question about the biomes.