Quantcast

Bionic contacts?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mupreopt

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Interesting article.
I wonder if the eyes would have to be opened to use the device. Imagine a digital textbook, reading/studying with your eye's closed.
The negative: students could use it to cheat on exams without getting caught.

jefguth

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
try focusing on something 1cm from your eye....now imagine focusing an image located directly on your cornea...

Habitual Rx

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
"Parviz said the health care field also might benefit from the technology. 'How do we constantly monitor someone’s health?' he said. 'It turns out that a lot of indicators that tell if a person is healthy or not show up on the surface of the eye.'

Is that true?

I thought the retina was where these "indicators" were seen.

jefguth

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
"Parviz said the health care field also might benefit from the technology. 'How do we constantly monitor someone’s health?' he said. 'It turns out that a lot of indicators that tell if a person is healthy or not show up on the surface of the eye.'

Is that true?

I thought the retina was where these "indicators" were seen.

it can be true, but I don't think to the extent that these people are thinking about. Generally, you have some pretty serious problems if your cornea is significantly involved. However, there is a research group in Australia looking at monitoring diabetic complication, specifically neuropathy, by imaging the corneal nerves...

Overall, I think this article is alot of hype for something pretty insignificant... the biggest accomplishment is the manufacturing process, not so much the fact that they put some tiny LED's on a CL.