Bionic contacts?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Interesting article.
I wonder if the eyes would have to be opened to use the device. Imagine a digital textbook, reading/studying with your eye's closed.
The negative: students could use it to cheat on exams without getting caught.

try focusing on something 1cm from your eye....now imagine focusing an image located directly on your cornea...

Members don't see this ad :)
"Parviz said the health care field also might benefit from the technology. 'How do we constantly monitor someone’s health?' he said. 'It turns out that a lot of indicators that tell if a person is healthy or not show up on the surface of the eye.'

Is that true?

I thought the retina was where these "indicators" were seen.

"Parviz said the health care field also might benefit from the technology. 'How do we constantly monitor someone’s health?' he said. 'It turns out that a lot of indicators that tell if a person is healthy or not show up on the surface of the eye.'

Is that true?

I thought the retina was where these "indicators" were seen.

it can be true, but I don't think to the extent that these people are thinking about. Generally, you have some pretty serious problems if your cornea is significantly involved. However, there is a research group in Australia looking at monitoring diabetic complication, specifically neuropathy, by imaging the corneal nerves...

Overall, I think this article is alot of hype for something pretty insignificant... the biggest accomplishment is the manufacturing process, not so much the fact that they put some tiny LED's on a CL.