Biotech/Biomedical Device Start-Ups/Venture Capital

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Marquis_Phoenix

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does getting a medical degree (Stanford/Harvard - San Francisco/Boston)provide any value in terms of identifying business opportunities for possible life science start-ups, or academic credos to hang around in labs and identify promising technologies, as opposed to going the pure MBA route and hanging out in labs/networking?

I don't want to do a residency. I want to do start-ups or get involved in venture capital in the area of life sciences.

Those are only two purposes I see: 1) Possibly assisting in identifying business opportunities via clinical exposure, 2) Gaining credibility in academic circles making networking easier, and thereby identifying technological opportunities.

I find rotations to be a waste of time, classwork can be crammed in the last 4-5 days before test so the first two years of medical school aren't the issue.

Debt is also another issue.
 
Last edited:
Does getting a medical degree (Stanford/Harvard - San Francisco/Boston)provide any value in terms of identifying business opportunities for possible life science start-ups, or academic credos to hang around in labs and identify promising technologies, as opposed to going the pure MBA route and hanging out in labs/networking?

I don't want to do a residency. I want to be do start-ups and get involved venture capital in the area of life sciences.

Those are the only two purposes I see: 1) Possibly assisting in identifying business opportunities, 2) Gaining credibility in academic circles making networking easier, and thereby identifying technological opportunities.

I find rotations to be a waste of time, classwork can be crammed in the last 4-5 days before test so the first two years of medical school aren't the issue.

Debt is also another issue.

You can get to anything doing anything if that makes sense. You don't have to go to Harvard just to get connections.

However, for what it sounds like what you want to do you should not even be thinking of getting an M.D.

Don't underestimate the breadth of information you're expected to know if you do decide to go into an M.D. by purely cramming; I've seen quite capable people get buried under a mountain of information.
 
The medical school path is a long and arduous one. There are many other options for those who are interested in biotech/devices/etc.

It would really help you to find people who are working in the industry. Learn about the opportunities and see how they match up to your own interests.