• Set Yourself Up For Success Webinar

October 6, 2021 at 2 PM Eastern/11 AM Pacific
    SDN and Osmosis are teaming up to help you get set up for success this school year! We'll be covering study tips, healthy habits, and meeting mentors.

Register Now!

• Funniest Story on the Job Contest Starts Now!

Contest starts now and ends September 27th. Winner will receive a special user banner and $10 Amazon Gift card!

JOIN NOW
  • Site Updates Coming Next Week

Site updates are coming next week on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

Biotech/Biomedical Device Start-Ups/Venture Capital

Marquis_Phoenix

10+ Year Member
May 6, 2006
  1. Post Doc
Does getting a medical degree (Stanford/Harvard - San Francisco/Boston)provide any value in terms of identifying business opportunities for possible life science start-ups, or academic credos to hang around in labs and identify promising technologies, as opposed to going the pure MBA route and hanging out in labs/networking?

I don't want to do a residency. I want to do start-ups or get involved in venture capital in the area of life sciences.

Those are only two purposes I see: 1) Possibly assisting in identifying business opportunities via clinical exposure, 2) Gaining credibility in academic circles making networking easier, and thereby identifying technological opportunities.

I find rotations to be a waste of time, classwork can be crammed in the last 4-5 days before test so the first two years of medical school aren't the issue.

Debt is also another issue.

Last edited:

Xardas

10+ Year Member
May 29, 2007
  1. Attending Physician
Does getting a medical degree (Stanford/Harvard - San Francisco/Boston)provide any value in terms of identifying business opportunities for possible life science start-ups, or academic credos to hang around in labs and identify promising technologies, as opposed to going the pure MBA route and hanging out in labs/networking?

I don't want to do a residency. I want to be do start-ups and get involved venture capital in the area of life sciences.

Those are the only two purposes I see: 1) Possibly assisting in identifying business opportunities, 2) Gaining credibility in academic circles making networking easier, and thereby identifying technological opportunities.

I find rotations to be a waste of time, classwork can be crammed in the last 4-5 days before test so the first two years of medical school aren't the issue.

Debt is also another issue.

You can get to anything doing anything if that makes sense. You don't have to go to Harvard just to get connections.

However, for what it sounds like what you want to do you should not even be thinking of getting an M.D.

Don't underestimate the breadth of information you're expected to know if you do decide to go into an M.D. by purely cramming; I've seen quite capable people get buried under a mountain of information.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.