bipolar disorder and baker acts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rose123902

Reaction score
if I'm bipolar and have been baker acted 3 times between being 13 and 15 years old, will I be able to be a doctor in these upcoming years? my mother says that I will not, however, I'm not completely sure.

Members don't see this ad.

By "doctor", do you mean physician?

Some state medical licensing boards will ask if you have any psychiatric history to report, and you may have extra hoops to jump through to prove that you are not "impaired" by showing that you are in treatment, that you haven't had an episode in a certain timeframe, etc. However, there are practicing physicians who have had bipolar disorder.

Here is an article by a medical resident who talks about becoming a physician with bipolar disorder. DM me if you want to read the whole thing.

You may get a better answer from the pre-medical subforum.

You might want to look at alternatives just in case. I'm not sure if by doctor you mean Phd/PsyD or MD.
I am Bipolar 2 and have an LMSW. I have never been involuntarily committed though.

I have a fried who's a Bipolar and really seeking help from professional twice a month but now he just graduated in Doctor PHD