Bit confused about MCAT Expiration dates

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedIsCool314

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was a bit confused with the expiration terminology for the MCAT and was wondering if someone can help me out. Which part of the cycle or date does the MCAT has to last until it is considered expired?
For example, If I take the MCAT this year in September, and I use the score for the 2022-2023 Cycle (applying summer 2022) would that count as two years? Does my AMCAS submission have to be within two/three years of the MCAT date? What point of the cycle has to be within that two/three year time?

Members don't see this ad.

You'll need to check specific program requirements. I believe they will each have something different and usually word it as such: ..."have taken the MCAT within X years of matriculation.". For an example, Stanford's admissions website says, "The oldest MCAT considered is 4 years prior to anticipated matriculation (August). For 2020, the oldest MCAT is August 2016." Some programs could say scores are valid for 2 years, some could say 4 or 5, you'll just have to check programs.

Reactions: 1 user
You'll need to check specific program requirements. I believe they will each have something different and usually word it as such: ..."have taken the MCAT within X years of matriculation.". For an example, Stanford's admissions website says, "The oldest MCAT considered is 4 years prior to anticipated matriculation (August). For 2020, the oldest MCAT is August 2016." Some programs could say scores are valid for 2 years, some could say 4 or 5, you'll just have to check programs.
This ^^^^^. The only way to know for sure is to buy MSAR and/or check with each school. They are all different, not just in terms of how many years the scores are valid, but also in terms of the month they expire.

For most of the schools I applied to, they only cared about the year for MCAT expirations. For example, many schools with a 2 year expiration during the 2019-2020 application cycle would accept MCAT scores taken as early as January of 2017.

Kevin W, MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors