biting my nails...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alshepard

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I interviewed at Albany in early Oct. They said we would probably hear in mid November. I was wondering if anyone had heard back from Albany regarding acceptance/rejection.

I would appreciate hearing from other applicants about their status. I interviewed at Dartmouth and University of Connecticut in the end of Oct. I will interview at University of Pittsburgh next month. I received a rejection from University of Vermont and Case Western Reserve last month. Still haven't heard anything from the remaining 8 schools that got my secondaries. I hope this info is encouraging to the rest of you agonizing for an answer. I'd happy to answer questions about my interview experiences at the above mentioned schools. Also if anyone has any advice about interviewing at the University of Pittsburgh, I'd appreciate it.

Hang in there guys.

Members don't see this ad.

I interviewed at Albany in early October and received my acceptance letter a week or so ago. As for Dartmouth, I interviewed there late October and was told that I probably wouldn't hear anything until after the first of the year. They said that only the most highly qualified candidates are accepted immediately after interview- and the rest of us have to wait...BTW, I think Albany said something similar, i.e., a lot of candidates may get accepted later, after they get a better feel for the applicant pool.
Like you, I was rejected at Vermont w/o interview- that came as a huge shock, as it was one of my top choices.
I was rejected at Pitt w/o interview... congrats on getting that invite, wow! Great school! Good luck!

To above two posters:
I have an interview with Albany coming up pretty soon, and I was wondering if you could share any insight from your interviews. Did either of you stay with a student? Did you rent a car? How was the interview itself? It's my first interview, so I'm a bit nervous...Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats on your interview! Albany was my first interview also and I thank God! It was seriously a very stress free day (and I have a tendency to be stressed.) I did not stay with a student but some of the other interviewees did and said they had a good experience. Also, I drove from my home town so I can't help you out about rental cars. I can say driving wasn't bad and the school will validate your parking so you can park in the visitor lot free. One of my interviewers asked some of the notorious ethical questions but the other was totally standard stuff (if not medicine what would you do, why Albany...) Both interviewers were completely friendly. Really laid back school. I recommend looking at www.interviewfeedback.com if you haven't already. I filled out a questionnaire on that site after my visit to Albany and tried to be pretty descriptive so I won't repeat everything I wrote there. Prepare, relax, and GOOD LUCK!

Thanks, Alshepard! I read your interview feedback. It was very helpful!
If you don't mind me asking, what are your stats? I was rejected without an interview at Pitts. Congratulations on Pitts interview
smile.gif
OH, one more thing: would you consider going to Albany if you get accepted? I guess Dartmouth and Pitts may be on your priority list though...
Good luck and share the good news!

Sure, Riesling, I'll share my stats. I'm including some of the extra stuff you get to mention to admissions committees because I really don't know what factors are weighed most heavily in getting an interview. This is probably way more than you want to know but here goes...

GPA- BCPM 3.82 (I have also taken a Calc course since graduating and received an A, Hurray!)
Overall 3.76

MCAT- VR: 13-15
PS: 9
BS: 11
WS: M

Research- Independent Research in my major (psychology) which I presented at a national conference in Chicago this spring.

Health Care Experience- EMT since 1996, 3.5 yrs part time employment in hospital, volunteer 1 yr in family practice.

Community Involvement- volunteer American Heart Association CPR instructor, Helpline volunteer for agency assisting victims of domestic violence and sexual assault.

Demographics- 28 yr old, female, married (Husband is a police officer applying to law school. Keep your fingers crossed for him!), no kids (but a sweet 17 yr old dog named Ben), working 30 hrs/week as an E.R. Technician, living in rural northern New England, graduated from a small state school last year with a BA in psychology and minors in Bio and Chem, one of my parents graduated from college, I have an uncle who is a physician.

That sums things up. I hope it is helpful to someone.

If I am accepted to both Dartmouth and Albany (please, please, please), I will choose to attend Dartmouth. Albany is not my first choice but I feel I could be happy there and have the flexibility to get the kind of education I want from it.

GOOD LUCK!!!

Wow, that's some impressive numbers and resume there, Al...Thank you for sharing
smile.gif

I haven't heard from Dartmouth for an interview yet, but I'd love to go there as well.
But we will see...I think it's a miracle that I got an Albany interview with my stats :\
Keep in touch!