BIZZARE! Seriously, this is a story for the pages.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If the international community doesn't like America then maybe they should stay in whatever community they do like.

I hope you're not intolerant of that opinion, if you are then maybe you have an inner American in you after all.

To the OP, I wish you the best of luck in whatever happens next!

I think that is what they were saying...

Members don't see this ad.

...From a Canadian student, trying to dig his way into an American dental school. Go back to Canada, if you don't like it here, dear!

This is such a terrible response. If you don't like things the way they are, the solution is to try and change them for the better, not to give up and go home. While there are certainly people who bash America for the sake of bashing America, a majority of the complaints stem from an earnest desire to see change in what is otherwise a great country.

If the international community doesn't like America then maybe they should stay in whatever community they do like.

I hope you're not intolerant of that opinion, if you are then maybe you have an inner American in you after all.

To the OP, I wish you the best of luck in whatever happens next!

:confused: I am American.

Members don't see this ad :)
hey loosegoose, you gonna fly back to the school?

What a terrible situation but keep your head up maybe things will work out. Everything happens for a reason even mistakes. Best of luck.

What is this supposed to mean? Why even go there?

I think b/c Jessi's predents says she's from utah or went to university of utah. I don't think it was meant to be offensive or anything. (Like i think it was 2 different statements, not connected)

Sorry for being out of the loop. The lady I spoke with through email and phone was the assistant dean. I also met her during my interview. She told me openly herself that she saw my name and thought it was the other person's name.

This is why I feel the mixing of names occurred long before and that there is a chance I was evaluated under the other student's name. The one thing which I received positive feedback in was the one thing she told me I did bad in. Doesn't make sense. If she would have said, I'm sorry, your personal statement just wasn't good enough (for example), then I would have no grounds for an argument because I didn't receive any contradictory feedback from the school's side. But in this case, I did.

I'm upset that this situation is not being looked into or taken seriously by the university. I'm not suing for a position in their dental school, nor am I saying the court route would fix things, but the demeanor of the school is questionable. These are people's lives that their dealing with.

Sorry for being out of the loop. The lady I spoke with through email and phone was the assistant dean. I also met her during my interview. She told me openly herself that she saw my name and thought it was the other person's name.

This is why I feel the mixing of names occurred long before and that there is a chance I was evaluated under the other student's name. The one thing which I received positive feedback in was the one thing she told me I did bad in. Doesn't make sense. If she would have said, I'm sorry, your personal statement just wasn't good enough (for example), then I would have no grounds for an argument because I didn't receive any contradictory feedback from the school's side. But in this case, I did.

I'm upset that this situation is not being looked into or taken seriously by the university. I'm not suing for a position in their dental school, nor am I saying the court route would fix things, but the demeanor of the school is questionable. These are people's lives that their dealing with.

it was an honest mistake. It really sucks, but you have to get over it. In no way have they violated a contract. I had my fiance read this thread. She is a contract lawyer and she felt bad for you, however she said there isn't a case in any way.

Members don't see this ad :)
Something else you might consider should you push the issue:

Do you really want to go to a school where they view you as having forced your way in? And, do you think things will go any better once you get there?

I know an acceptance, any acceptance, is what we all live for but at what cost? I was declined in a previous cycle and contacted them to see what I could do to strengthen my application. The reply was, "Frankly, we are looking for applicants who can contribute to the field of dentistry longer than you will be able to." (BTW, I am a 40ish non-trad.) Needless to say, I had an age discrimination suit, and possible acceptance, if I pushed the discrimination issue but I decided it wasn't worth attending a school where the feelings from both sides were so bad. Now granted your situation is a bit different but it has the same undertone. Good luck in deciding how far to persue this.

Wow. I am so sorry to hear that. If I were you, I would just keep calling anyone I can, writing anyone I can and just be as persistent as possible. Maybe, HOPEFULLY, something will get done.

Something else you might consider should you push the issue:

Do you really want to go to a school where they view you as having forced your way in? And, do you think things will go any better once you get there?

I know an acceptance, any acceptance, is what we all live for but at what cost? I was declined in a previous cycle and contacted them to see what I could do to strengthen my application. The reply was, "Frankly, we are looking for applicants who can contribute to the field of dentistry longer than you will be able to." (BTW, I am a 40ish non-trad.) Needless to say, I had an age discrimination suit, and possible acceptance, if I pushed the discrimination issue but I decided it wasn't worth attending a school where the feelings from both sides were so bad. Now granted your situation is a bit different but it has the same undertone. Good luck in deciding how far to persue this.

wow. I can't believe they said that! How did you respond? Were you in stunned silence? Did you just hang up? Did you do the "oh, ok. well thanks." then hang up?

I can't believe a school would say that to an applicant. THAT is a case for a law suit.

wow. I can't believe they said that! How did you respond? Were you in stunned silence? Did you just hang up? Did you do the "oh, ok. well thanks." then hang up?

I can't believe a school would say that to an applicant. THAT is a case for a law suit.

For once in my life I was absolutely speachless. I could not believe it! Only after I hung up did I come up with some really good responses. At first I thought about pushing the issue and complaining to their dean. After I calmed down, I realized it would be a case of he said/she said. Theoretically, they could have offered me a position to keep this incident quiet if I had chosen to persue it but I wouldn't have been happy there. I doubt they'd have liked having me there much either. In retrospect, it all worked for a reason. I'm at a dental school I really like and not somewhere so oppressive.

For once in my life I was absolutely speachless. I could not believe it! Only after I hung up did I come up with some really good responses. At first I thought about pushing the issue and complaining to their dean. After I calmed down, I realized it would be a case of he said/she said. Theoretically, they could have offered me a position to keep this incident quiet if I had chosen to persue it but I wouldn't have been happy there. I doubt they'd have liked having me there much either. In retrospect, it all worked for a reason. I'm at a dental school I really like and not somewhere so oppressive.

It's good that it worked out for you, but that school should not be continuing that practice. You should sue them for a lost year of dentist's wages. You actually suffered that damage, and it would hopefully teach the school a lesson that would get them to evaluate and change their behavior.

You are probably right but at the time I wasn't willing to take the risk of having my name and situation publicized since I wasn't yet accepted into dental school. I was afraid it would affect my chances of getting in elsewhere.

You are probably right but at the time I wasn't willing to take the risk of having my name and situation publicized since I wasn't yet accepted into dental school. I was afraid it would affect my chances of getting in elsewhere.

OK but now that you are alreasdy in Dental school, and I doubt that you are going to specialize, It may be worth it to sue the school or something, As Lopyswine's Fiance if you have a case (maybe she wants to take it lol:laugh:). If you could actually get a full years wages then hell what are you waiting for. Everyone in America sues over everything nowadays and the suer seems to always win (remember Mcdonalds cofee being to hot). Might as well try.

This is probably why the whole international community doesn't like America.

Perhaps you haven't been anywhere besides France or French Canada, but most everywhere I have been I've seen quite the opposite. Most strikingly in the Balkans, namely Croatia and Albania, where even the abominable GWB's approval rating was recently in the 90+ percentile and the mere whisper of the words 'Bill' and/or 'Clinton' will evoke raucous jollymaking.

And anyone who's spent time in Japan or China also understands the outragitude of your statement. At least where I spent significant time in both of these countries, the like/not like ratio was quite high. I will say that I steered clear of US military bases, which breed contempt, and in many cases rightly so.

But if your 'international community' consists entirely of self-righteous continental western European nose-thumbers and their overzealous monoprovincial North American cohorts, I suppose you're right. But you can have those guys.

I suppose I'll legitimize this post by saying to the OP: I'm really sorry.

Last edited:

very smart. best not to cause a ruckus before even establishing your name in the dental field.

to OP, as everyone said, yours is a very sucky situation. but you throw around a lot of talk about pursuing a legal case. i'm uncertain whether you have considered the ramifications. if you lose the case, your name will be sullied. if you win, your name AND reputation will be sullied (as said above, you might be miserable and/or forced out of school after they take your tuition money). the cost of flying there to talk to the dean, and possibly bringing this to court will be enormous.
i'd say count your blessings, and just handle this like a gentleman, moreso, like a future health professional. besides, as i understand it, you're not rejected yet right? so there is still hope, don't ruin what grasp you do have left with this school in this admissions cycle.
good luck.

Perhaps you haven't been anywhere besides France or French Canada, but most everywhere I have been I've seen quite the opposite. Most strikingly in the Balkans, namely Croatia and Albania, where even the abominable GWB's approval rating was recently in the 90+ percentile and the mere whisper of the words 'Bill' and/or 'Clinton' will evoke raucous jollymaking.

And anyone who's spent time in Japan or China also understands the outragitude of your statement. At least where I spent significant time in both of these countries, the like/not like ratio was quite high. I will say that I steered clear of US military bases, which breed contempt, and in many cases rightly so.

But if your 'international community' consists entirely of self-righteous continental western European nose-thumbers and their overzealous monoprovincial North American cohorts, I suppose you're right. But you can have those guys.

I suppose I'll legitimize this post by saying to the OP: I'm really sorry.

My point was that what she said was not nice, and I could understand why some people do not like Americans. (I exaggerated a little when I said the whole interanational community, but you get my point) The whole "oh, well if you don't like America then get out" attitude is just dumb and arrogant. There are always going to be things that you don't like about something, but you don't just call it quits and leave. That would be like me leaving my husband because I don't like the way he leaves his shoes in the middle of the room where I can trip over them everday. And he doesn't tell me, oh well if you don't like it, leave. That's just not the way things work, so why tell someone that?

My point was that what she said was not nice, and I could understand why some people do not like Americans. (I exaggerated a little when I said the whole interanational community, but you get my point) The whole "oh, well if you don't like America then get out" attitude is just dumb and arrogant. There are always going to be things that you don't like about something, but you don't just call it quits and leave. That would be like me leaving my husband because I don't like the way he leaves his shoes in the middle of the room where I can trip over them everday. And he doesn't tell me, oh well if you don't like it, leave. That's just not the way things work, so why tell someone that?

I agree completely. Unfortunately for all of us there are too many people who think her kind of logic is effective/badass/cute, and it is obviously far from any of that. I've always wished people on both sides of this argument would do a bit more analysis and deep-breath-taking before going at it, because the "if yoo don't like it, yoo can git out!" rhetoric coming from an American does a serious injustice to the sensible ones in this country who are capable of debate beyond third grade level. Unfortunately in this fine land there will always be pockets of ignorant people who believe America to be infallible and unilaterally superior to all else, and they will continue to embarass us all until they get on an airplane and start looking around.

Ah yes.

OP, have you considered baking a cake filled with bars of gold wrapped in $100 bills?
If I had enough bars of gold and $100bills laying around for that, I don't think I would be in school anymore lol.

This happened to my buddy 3 years ago. He called a school and they told him that he had been accepted, and that a packet was on its way to him. He never got the packet from them and he finally called back and told him that he was acctually not in. In the mean time, his acceptance to another Dental School lapsed. He just applied the next year, and got in to a very good school (actually was accepted to two). It sucks but it does happen. I think if it was not an official offer, then you are out of luck. I mean you could take them to court and they might let you in, but I do not know if I would want to go to a school that I took to court.

And yes there are mormons on here.

you can put the link back if you want. The person who PM'ed me was an idiot and was banned (I did not report him, he started a thread called Why?, and it looks like he was banned after that). Im sure he will be back under a different name, or he was already here and just created the name Dingleberrylove to post stupid things.

To those who are wondering what I am talking about, BillytheEchidna mentioned the fact that a similiar situation happed to me with UT Memphis about 2 months ago. She had every right to do that and feel free to put it back up if you want :) It made sense to post that link here as it is a similiar situation.

I am stunned. This was the only school I got accepted to, or even interviewed at & I have been applying for three years.

If you've been applying for three years and not got anywhere, it's either time for you to move on to something else or improve your stats... don't you think???

I am stunned. This was the only school I got accepted to, or even interviewed at & I have been applying for three years.

If you've been applying for three years and not got anywhere, it's either time for you to move on to something else or improve your stats... don't you think???

hah u must be pretty bored to pull this thread out of nowhere just to criticize the poor guy/girl

This happened to my buddy 3 years ago. He called a school and they told him that he had been accepted, and that a packet was on its way to him. He never got the packet from them and he finally called back and told him that he was acctually not in. In the mean time, his acceptance to another Dental School lapsed. He just applied the next year, and got in to a very good school (actually was accepted to two). It sucks but it does happen. I think if it was not an official offer, then you are out of luck. I mean you could take them to court and they might let you in, but I do not know if I would want to go to a school that I took to court.

And yes there are mormons on here.

This is why I'm going to make multiple deposits.