Black dentist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stoopidmonkeycatdog

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

I was just wondering if any black dentists, or those who know black dentists could give some info on how they are doing?

I am mainly interested in knowing whether or not patients of other demographics are comfortable seeking treatment with a black dentist, or if it is difficult to maintain business unless you are in a large black population.

If you aren't black, please still feel free to post your opinions or advice.

Thank you to anyone who responds.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I have had a black physician and dental hygienist. Business as usual. I have considerable doubt african-american physicians/dentists only stay in business by serving those of the same demographic.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using SDN mobile

Reactions: 3 users
The dentist I shadowed told me his race has never been a problem.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The dentist I shadowed told me his race has never been a problem.

Awesome, this is what I expected to hear, but somehow I want able to find anything on the internet about it. Thanks.

I have a black dentist and he is amazing! everyone loves him! race wont matter as long as your not in an area with a bunch of racist people....

Reactions: 2 users
Hi there,

I was just wondering if any black dentists, or those who know black dentists could give some info on how they are doing?

I am mainly interested in knowing whether or not patients of other demographics are comfortable seeking treatment with a black dentist, or if it is difficult to maintain business unless you are in a large black population.

Very interesting post. I am a Black female dentist and I have practiced in so many settings. Race has never been an issue. I have actually thrived quite well even in clinics/offices where there were hardly any Black patients. What matters most is that you treat your patients well, care for them, show compassion and be honest and I guarantee they will "fall in love" with you. I actually had a White patient come to see me one day and she whispered after I introduced myself and talked to her for a while "So, do you treat White people?" I said "Ma'am, I treat everyone." She said "Good, I was hoping you would because I really like you!!!" So, there you have it!!! I have even had Black patients to ask me "Are you really the dentist? I've never had a Black dentist and a Black female dentist at that." LOL, things will surprise you throughout the years. Actually, I have even had Black patients to ask if they could be rescheduled with someone White because they didn't think I would be good only to have them apologize to me later. So life gives you many surprises along the way.

Reactions: 16 users
Very interesting post. I am a Black female dentist and I have practiced in so many settings. Race has never been an issue. I have actually thrived quite well even in clinics/offices where there were hardly any Black patients. What matters most is that you treat your patients well, care for them, show compassion and be honest and I guarantee they will "fall in love" with you. I actually had a White patient come to see me one day and she whispered after I introduced myself and talked to her for a while "So, do you treat White people?" I said "Ma'am, I treat everyone." She said "Good, I was hoping you would because I really like you!!!" So, there you have it!!! I have even had Black patients to ask me "Are you really the dentist? I've never had a Black dentist and a Black female dentist at that." LOL, things will surprise you throughout the years. Actually, I have even had Black patients to ask if they could be rescheduled with someone White because they didn't think I would be good only to have them apologize to me later. So life gives you many surprises along the way.
Thank you for posting your experiences! They help a lot.

You are so welcome. That's what it's all about. Sharing our experiences and knowledge and giving back.

Thank you so much for the post! Really good to hear. Have you practiced in the same region of the country throughout your career? I'm from the South and would like to have a practice here one day but I have the same concerns as OP.

Nice experiences! Am Black and am thinking of Having my practice in New hamspire,vermont or Maine! I hope my race won't be a problem?

Thank you so much for the post! Really good to hear. Have you practiced in the same region of the country throughout your career? I'm from the South and would like to have a practice here one day but I have the same concerns as OP.
I have practiced in MD, NC, and even Upstate NY. All experiences were different. I loved NC. Something about the South that's wonderful about practicing. I served diverse populations in NC, Black, White, Hispanic. There were areas in NC where most of my patients were White. I had the opportunity to practice in Raleigh, Tarboro, Fayetteville, Goldsboro, Wilkesboro and even Swan Quarter. In MD, most of my patients were White. In Albany, NY, my patients were mostly White, some Blacks and some Hispanics. It's good to be in these different environments. You not only learn a lot about people, but you learn and discover a lot about yourself as well. I have many colleagues, friends and classmates from dental school who practice in the South as far as Alabama and Mississippi and they have done very well over the years.

Reactions: 4 users
Nice experiences! Am Black and am thinking of Having my practice in New hamspire,vermont or Maine! I hope my race won't be a problem?
You will be fine. Go with an open mind, expect anything, don't be surprised by anything and really take your time in choosing a prime location to practice. Make sure it's really where you desire to be. It will test you. I had my biggest test when I practiced in Albany, NY.

It is heartbreaking to see that this is even a question. Never had any issues with race. Congratulations to the divisive media stoking an imaginary fire and instigating concerns like this. Please don't let the faulty perception perpetuated by the media influence you. Be strong, keep doing you and good things will come.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It is heartbreaking to see that this is even a question. Never had any issues with race. Congratulations to the divisive media stoking an imaginary fire and instigating concerns like this. Please don't let the faulty perception perpetuated by the media influence you. Be strong, keep doing you and good things will come.
Yes, heartbreaking that it is even a question, but unfortunately, it IS reality and the world we live in. I have colleagues and very close friends who are dentists and physicians, and I have heard some very interesting stories of race issues during their years of practicing. It all depends on where you happen to be and it can be any given situation. It happens. I believe it's up to each individual to choose a positive reaction in the midst of evil. Bottom line, people are going to do what they're going to do.

I have practiced in MD, NC, and even Upstate NY. All experiences were different. I loved NC. Something about the South that's wonderful about practicing. I served diverse populations in NC, Black, White, Hispanic. There were areas in NC where most of my patients were White. I had the opportunity to practice in Raleigh, Tarboro, Fayetteville, Goldsboro, Wilkesboro and even Swan Quarter. In MD, most of my patients were White. In Albany, NY, my patients were mostly White, some Blacks and some Hispanics. It's good to be in these different environments. You not only learn a lot about people, but you learn and discover a lot about yourself as well. I have many colleagues, friends and classmates from dental school who practice in the South as far as Alabama and Mississippi and they have done very well over the years.

hey newgoals i was thinking of practicing in NC raeligh area can you give me some advice: why did you leave did you have enough patients etc salary, etc. you can pm me if you want.

it might be heart breaking but that is the reality for example i just watched this video and I got worried a bit. Of course it depends on where you live but still i want to make sure i chose the right area:

Hi there,

I am an African American dentist, I have been practicing for 13 years now, 6 as an associate, and 7 as an owner and I did start up in predominantly white area, I will tell you race has never been an issue in fact , I have done well in my start up, dont think for a second that you cant succeed outside the black community. I will tell you an interesting story in my start up I had a pt. African American who didnt want to pay her portion of a bill, well we parted ways when she left she said to me in front of my office manager, " This is why I dont do business with Black people, always tryin to get over on their own kind." Thats because I expected her to pay her portion not covered by insurance. that is direct quote my friend. I have white people in this practice that have been with me from day one, and continue to support me, and some have left, I have black people with me from day one, and some have left. Take people as they come to you individually and you will be fine. Im in a blue collar white are, and some of my pts will say " Wazzup Doc." Dont take offense to things like that its just an attempt to kind bond with you, breakin the ice.

it might be heart breaking but that is the reality for example i just watched this video and I got worried a bit. Of course it depends on where you live but still i want to make sure i chose the right area:

Yeah this is pretty bad, but I believe this was in another country, I dont know where, trust me very few people in the United States would tell an employee they are going to fire, its because they are a woman and black, basically handing a discrimination case on a silver platter.

Yeah this is pretty bad, but I believe this was in another country, I dont know where, trust me very few people in the United States would tell an employee they are going to fire, its because they are a woman and black, basically handing a discrimination case on a silver platter.

she said it on the video that it was in texas lol. It might be hard to believe but it does happen. I was turned down for a room (off-campus housing) once and then my friend went to the same landlord and he got the room. 0.O It all just depends on the area that we are practicing.

As a black female DDS, I have to say that I empathize with her. Racism is real, and it happens, but her experiences are very "bold" and "in your face" so to speak. I'm very sorry she has had to experience such direct forms of it.
However, I was brought up to have a level of "thick skin" so to speak; my parents always informed me that no one was going to hand me anything, and people would likely have preconceived notions about what I could achieve, simply based on what I looked like; and to therefore, always try to destroy the status quo.
As a resident, I can't tell you how many times I have been mistaken for a tech in the OR, the hygienist, etc.
Just last week I had a parent of a patient ask me when the Doc was going to attend to her child. I responded " I am the Doctor".
I am also from Texas as well, and I know many black female DDS's. Maybe its just the group I chose to surround myself with, as I sought out these women as mentors early on.
I don't think her experiences are representative of the field, as in every industry there will always be people who display racist preferences/ desire a particular "look" to their practice, etc. One simply has to forge through that, and search for positions that align with your value system and ideology.

Reactions: 1 users
Please, people, don't quit your dreams because of racist people, racists will still treat you like garbage if you were their taxi driver or their dentists, but with the latter, you get to charge them a huge amount of money.

Ps. I shadowed an African American dentist. Her business was going well in a white area.

and me as I patient, I can say one thing about my preference, a dentist who can be friendly, compassionate, and know his job well! Most importantly, does not charge a lot of money!

Who cares if he/she is white or black, only racists people will care about that, and not all people are racist, so you'll be good!

Reactions: 1 users
My physician was an African American. My tutor was an African American student too.

she said it on the video that it was in texas lol. It might be hard to believe but it does happen. I was turned down for a room (off-campus housing) once and then my friend went to the same landlord and he got the room. 0.O It all just depends on the area that we are practicing.
LOL, I missed she said Texas. You will have to excuse your older brotha, my 44 year old ears arent what they used to be. It seems some people are still very unsophisticatedin their racism. I didnt get thru the whole thing, did she quit on that one incident?

I worked in corporate dentistry in a population that is not very educated; they can be blatantly racist where they will specifically ask not to be seen by the "black dentist" even if they have never met her before - I know this since the assistants and office managers would tell me to see X patient since they don't want to see my colleague due to patient request. Unfortunate, since she was a very nice lady and good clinician. A lot of racism still exists with the older generation, but the younger generation is a lot more open-minded.

LOL, I missed she said Texas. You will have to excuse your older brotha, my 44 year old ears arent what they used to be. It seems some people are still very unsophisticatedin their racism. I didnt get thru the whole thing, did she quit on that one incident?

lol she quit on the 3rd incident.

I worked in corporate dentistry in a population that is not very educated; they can be blatantly racist where they will specifically ask not to be seen by the "black dentist" even if they have never met her before - I know this since the assistants and office managers would tell me to see X patient since they don't want to see my colleague due to patient request. Unfortunate, since she was a very nice lady and good clinician. A lot of racism still exists with the older generation, but the younger generation is a lot more open-minded.

agreed

If you dont mind me asking where was this?

As long as you're a certified doctor, I really don't care one bit about your race, sex, religion, political views, etc...

One of the doctors I worked under was an African American guy. He worked as a managing dentist and was also part of the state dental quality commision. He was always booked.

South Texas (predominantly Hispanic population)

interesting to say the least. that is the one caveat I will say to young dentist buying an existing practice, sadly you will need to look at the exisitng pt base and the doctor, if they are the same ethnicity, race, religion, take a hard look to see if this will be a barrier for you. As stated in particular if the pt base is first generation immigrant population, you may run into issues as a Black doctor.

I've had two black dentist mentors and they have not indicated to me that their race hindered their career or private office. They both considered themselves successful.

I've had two black dentist mentors and they have not indicated to me that their race hindered their career or private office. They both considered themselves successful.

Are you black?

Why would they say "btw being black affects me" if it has no relevance to you?

The one black dentist I have met is very successful and retired early. He is teaching now and he gave me his experience and a few tips on how to deal with the racial issues that might come up.

Btw thank you to everyone who has replied.

That's the world were living in! I actually searched this same question up and that's how I got here. This older lady has been quite discouraging at the idea of her niece wanting to become a dentist. She means well.. . She's just worried that being black, she might have problems getting patients because of racial prejudice.

i won't lie, i didn't read all the responses. but here's my take (white dude in a somewhat rural area of georgia)....

albeit i won't say that race / skin color does not play a part in a lot of folks' decision making .... i can say that in my practice, and many around me, they respect the professionalism that accompanies the service provided WELL ABOVE the color of their skin.

i.e.: if i refer to my OS for implants, thirds, etc ... my pts respect that. my OS is a black man from mississippi. does it matter to me? no! he's a great surgeon who i can corroborate with clinically. that's what matters! and my pts respect that.

a local GP i work with is a black man that owns a few offices .. he crushes it!! also, one of his associate GP's is a black female .. and she crushes it too!

im not nieve enough to think that race does not matter to SOME folks in the public sector ... but, i think the more you "make" it an issue, the more it will. i personally have worked in asian and black majority towns / clinics where i was the minority. i can't relate, to a small degree, i have been refused to be a provider bc i was white. it sucked. that is only a microcosm of what others have felt obviously.

i say this bc some folks will always place some degree of whatever to color of skin... however, in the grand scheme of things ... its fading out to where our professional criteria is what ultimately matters. meritocracy will make its way around ... someday... maybe :/

i won't lie, i didn't read all the responses. but here's my take (white dude in a somewhat rural area of georgia)....

albeit i won't say that race / skin color does not play a part in a lot of folks' decision making .... i can say that in my practice, and many around me, they respect the professionalism that accompanies the service provided WELL ABOVE the color of their skin.

i.e.: if i refer to my OS for implants, thirds, etc ... my pts respect that. my OS is a black man from mississippi. does it matter to me? no! he's a great surgeon who i can corroborate with clinically. that's what matters! and my pts respect that.

a local GP i work with is a black man that owns a few offices .. he crushes it!! also, one of his associate GP's is a black female .. and she crushes it too!

im not nieve enough to think that race does not matter to SOME folks in the public sector ... but, i think the more you "make" it an issue, the more it will. i personally have worked in asian and black majority towns / clinics where i was the minority. i can't relate, to a small degree, i have been refused to be a provider bc i was white. it sucked. that is only a microcosm of what others have felt obviously.

i say this bc some folks will always place some degree of whatever to color of skin... however, in the grand scheme of things ... its fading out to where our professional criteria is what ultimately matters. meritocracy will make its way around ... someday... maybe :/

If you don't mind, what (general) part of GA? (You can just say how many hours from Atlanta if you want to stay confidential0.