Nurses doing colonoscopies on black patients

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
There’s some research that hospitals are much more likely to pick up their malpractice because it’s cheaper to settle the suits and keep paying them less than doctors but bill the same than it is to just pay for a doctor. There has also been some difficulty getting experts because they have been able to successfully argue that a physician isn’t qualified to judge the quality of care provided by an NP since the NP practices “healthcare” and not medicine.
That last part is a bit of a myth. Most states allow physicians to testify as expert witnesses against midlevels. But the double standard that NPs are not doctors at the time of judgement/decision is real. That's why you see those articles that say "NP cannot be liable because NP is not practicing 'medicine'".

Members don't see this ad.

That last part is a bit of a myth. Most states allow physicians to testify as expert witnesses against midlevels. But the double standard that NPs are not doctors at the time of judgement/decision is real. That's why you see those articles that say "NP cannot be liable because NP is not practicing 'medicine'".

I mean, I have seen cases where that was upheld in court so it’s not a myth. There have been cases recently where physicians testified against them though. In one of them, the lawyer got it allowed by saying either the NP is only supposed to be practicing healthcare and is guilty of practicing medicine without a license or they practice medicine and physicians can testify in their malpractice cases.

Reactions: 1 user
I mean, I have seen cases where that was upheld in court so it’s not a myth. There have been cases recently where physicians testified against them though. In one of them, the lawyer got it allowed by saying either the NP is only supposed to be practicing healthcare and is guilty of practicing medicine without a license or they practice medicine and physicians can testify in their malpractice cases.

Have not read each post in this thread but big picture take-home message is that mid-level encroachment will directly impact job prospects/career satisfaction for all here. ED is severely damaged, possibly beyond repair (estimated surplus of 10K ED physicians by 2030). Pressure to reduce costs (both by CMS, large HC systems, and Private Equity) favor expansion of scope of practice for mid-levels. Simultaneously there are bills to increase residency spots so ultimately many fields will be saturated.

Members don't see this ad :)
Have not read each post in this thread but big picture take-home message is that mid-level encroachment will directly impact job prospects/career satisfaction for all here. ED is severely damaged, possibly beyond repair (estimated surplus of 10K ED physicians by 2030). Pressure to reduce costs (both by CMS, large HC systems, and Private Equity) favor expansion of scope of practice for mid-levels. Simultaneously there are bills to increase residency spots so ultimately many fields will be saturated.

...do you have any solutions or are you just here to drop a bomb and say that we're all hosed? Because we dealt with that like, 4 pages ago. :)

...do you have any solutions or are you just here to drop a bomb and say that we're all hosed? Because we dealt with that like, 4 pages ago. :)

Like I said I did not read most of these posts, but I apologize for the redundancy. That's good that you guys are fully aware of what the future looks like. I wish had real solutions. Here's some advice, though I would imagine this has been posted already.

1. Avoid hospital based fields such as EM/anesthesiology/primary care.
2. Derm should also be avoided given corporate infiltration via the use of mid-levels.
3. Radiology's (my field) current challenge is corp takeover but these groups are having a hard time recruiting so could go either way. I don't see mid-level take-over without high end AI. Who knows when this will happen. Could be 3-5 years from now or 10-15 years etc. Would assume that AI will also have affects on staffing in other fields of medicine simultaneously. Most of retail/other fields would be fully automized at this point.
4. Surgical/non-surgical subspecialties will likely be most resilient due to the nature of the work. PAs/NPs can round/see pts in clinic but are no where near autonomous in the OR/angio-suite etc
5. Psych may be a legit option. While anyone can prescribe SSRIs etc, tailoring treatment to an individual's needs is a whole other level. One can potentially also function out-of-network/cash only
6. Be geographically flexible.
7. Once you have the time/bandwidth get involved in advocacy groups that are fighting this uphill battle.
8. Ask the administration/faculty at your med school about these issues. Ideally one could start with "WTF?"
9. Warn med school interviewees.

Wish I had better solutions.

Reactions: 4 users
Like I said I did not read most of these posts, but I apologize for the redundancy. That's good that you guys are fully aware of what the future looks like. I wish had real solutions. Here's some advice, though I would imagine this has been posted already.

2. Derm should also be avoided given corporate infiltration via the use of mid-levels.
3. Radiology's (my field) current challenge is corp takeover but these groups are having a hard time recruiting so could go either way. I don't see mid-level take-over without high end AI. Who knows when this will happen. Could be 3-5 years from now or 10-15 years etc. Would assume that AI will also have affects on staffing in other fields of medicine simultaneously. Most of retail/other fields would be fully automized at this point.
4. Surgical/non-surgical subspecialties will likely be most resilient due to the nature of the work. PAs/NPs can round/see pts in clinic but are no where near autonomous in the OR/angio-suite etc
5. Psych may be a legit option. While anyone can prescribe SSRIs etc, tailoring treatment to an individual's needs is a whole other level. One can potentially also function out-of-network/cash only
7. Once you have the time/bandwidth get involved in advocacy groups that are fighting this uphill battle.
8. Ask the administration/faculty at your med school about these issues. Ideally one could start with "WTF?"

Havent people been warning the end is nigh in gas and primary care for like 30 years tho

You guys have to fight. Corporate take over is the death of medicine.

Last edited:
Havent people been warning the end is nigh in gas and primary care for like 30 years tho
Primary care outpatient is ok so far. But inpatient is dominated by corporate (Envision, team health etc...). Looking for job for the past 5 months has opened my eyes. These corporations are destroying medicine and they are everywhere.

Last edited:
This sounds self destructive but will the collapse of medicine drive hungry premeds into midlevel professions and make NPs and PAs hot commodities?
you only need to read the PA forums and PA subreddit to see how brutal their job market is compared to NPs

You guys have to fight. Corporate take over is the death of medicine.

Agree. This is a bit tricky though as many professional societies are in bed with Corp/large HC systems etc, and their interests may not align with your average physicians. The main issue aside from preventing further mid-level encroachment is whether or not to increase residency spots proposed recently. It's frustrating as on one hand there is a push on the federal level to increase training spots for "highly trained physicians", yet on the state level there is a push to propagate mid-levels. Either there is an unifying underlying plan (eg. flood the labor field and drive down costs) or there really isn't any plan, resulting in this free for all.

Agree. This is a bit tricky though as many professional societies are in bed with Corp/large HC systems etc, and their interests may not align with your average physicians. The main issue aside from preventing further mid-level encroachment is whether or not to increase residency spots proposed recently. It's frustrating as on one hand there is a push on the federal level to increase training spots for "highly trained physicians", yet on the state level there is a push to propagate mid-levels. Either there is an unifying underlying plan (eg. flood the labor field and drive down costs) or there really isn't any plan, resulting in this free for all.
I have not started my career yet but I could see the writing on the wall. We will not recognize medicine 10 yrs from now.

I think an obtainable goal would be to push for certain certifications to perform certain procedures, like oh I don't know a residency. Make it ILLEGAL for mid levels to perform procedures and problem solved, but this would take some very strong lobbying

Members don't see this ad :)
I think an obtainable goal would be to push for certain certifications to perform certain procedures, like oh I don't know a residency. Make it ILLEGAL for mid levels to perform procedures and problem solved, but this would take some very strong lobbying
You cannot possibly believe it would take a 3+ year residency to learn screening scopes. As mentioned earlier surgeons can get cert after like 50

You cannot possibly believe it would take a 3+ year residency to learn screening scopes. As mentioned earlier surgeons can get cert after like 50
Clearly not as nurses are doing them, but preventing future creep should be the goal. An example would be to prevent NP/PA from putting tubes in ears etc etc. Its not about the difficulty or the inability to become competent, rather to protect the fields

Clearly not as nurses are doing them, but preventing future creep should be the goal. An example would be to prevent NP/PA from putting tubes in ears etc etc. Its not about the difficulty or the inability to become competent, rather to protect the fields
You're never, ever going to get a legislature in a state with shortage areas to deny FPA on the grounds that we need to protect physician incomes

Reactions: 1 users
You're never, ever going to get a legislature in a state with shortage areas to deny FPA on the grounds that we need to protect physician incomes
There are no shortages, just misallocations. The nursing lobbies/PA lie and say "oh we need to be able to do x procedure because there is no one to do it in the rural areas, we can!", said law gets passed and where do they end up doing these procedures? Not in the rural part of the state like they lobbied they would! They're doing those procedures right smack dab in the middle of the city while laughing at physicians

There are no shortages, just misallocations. The nursing lobbies/PA lie and say "oh we need to be able to do x procedure because there is no one to do it in the rural areas, we can!", said law gets passed and where do they end up doing these procedures? Not in the rural part of the state like they lobbied they would! They're doing those procedures right smack dab in the middle of the city while laughing at physicians
Totally agree we should do more to incentivise distribution to match demand, like PSLF style programs. But you cant blame them for thinking an occasional additional rural NP is better than no care at all, and if NPs trained to screen have the same detection standard we hold MDs to, it's tough to argue against that.

Totally agree we should do more to incentivise distribution to match demand, like PSLF style programs. But you cant blame them for thinking an occasional additional rural NP is better than no care at all, and if NPs trained to screen have the same detection standard we hold MDs to, it's tough to argue against that.
@Lem0nz is right, NPs/PAs aren't going anywhere and we aren't going to convince any lawmaker to prohibit them from doing basic procedures because there are definitely areas with real need for people to do them, even though we all know it's just a lie and they'll set up their screening scope clinic in Manhattan the second they get credentialed.

What we should push for legislative wise is to make it so they can only be credentialed to do these types of procedures in areas with certified need. If they claim they need to be able to do these procedures to increase access for certain patient populations then make them put that ideal to work and they can only be allowed to work in those areas. Want to do screening scopes? Sure thing, you'll just have to sign on the dotted line that you will do them in a rural area. If the Ohio DO school can make OOS applicants sign a contract saying they will work the first 5 years of attendinghood in Ohio then I see no reason we couldn't ask the same thing of the NPs who want to scope people in the name of "increasing access."

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Yeah, this Kalloo guy did it single-handedly. He's basically the antithesis of the SDN anti-midlevel mentality and came on SDN at one point to defend himself. I am not sure if mods deleted that, but I saw it with my own eyes years ago...I think he stepped down from Director of GI Hopkins in 2020 and went to Maimonades.

In terms of privileges, I'm curious as to how they actually went about doing the colonoscopies. Like I guess I don't even know how GI fellows do it. From my understanding, GI fellows don't scope independently. If that's true, not sure how midlevels were allowed to to do it unsupervised?!

Also, for my learning what percentage of a GI physician's income comes from routine screening colonoscopies? I'm thinking it's something upwards of 50% especially for those using it as a cash cow.

Anyone know?
Colonoscopy is practically GI cash cow. They can do in 15-30 minutes. Even if reimbursement is let's say $500, doing only 4-5/days already pay the bills.

It's the same reason that ophthalmologist are able to make tons of $$$. If you visit their forum, you will see they admit that starting salary is somewhat low (250-300), but after 2-3 yrs, most of them say they make 600k+.

@Lem0nz is right, NPs/PAs aren't going anywhere and we aren't going to convince any lawmaker to prohibit them from doing basic procedures because there are definitely areas with real need for people to do them, even though we all know it's just a lie and they'll set up their screening scope clinic in Manhattan the second they get credentialed.

What we should push for legislative wise is to make it so they can only be credentialed to do these types of procedures in areas with certified need. If they claim they need to be able to do these procedures to increase access for certain patient populations then make them put that ideal to work and they can only be allowed to work in those areas. Want to do screening scopes? Sure thing, you'll just have to sign on the dotted line that you will do them in a rural area. If the Ohio DO school can make OOS applicants sign a contract saying they will work the first 5 years of attendinghood in Ohio then I see no reason we couldn't ask the same thing of the NPs who want to scope people in the name of "increasing access."
I had no idea med schools could contractually obligate their students to practice in certain places, that's really interesting. Do they lose their license if they move away? The sticky situation I see happening here is arguments about tiers of care - if NPs are inferior screeners why is it ok for poor or rural areas to get inferior care to wealthier city patients? If they're not inferior, why cant they screen everywhere MDs can? Gets tough to justify without resorting to "MDs deserve first dibs on the cash cows and you can only have them if were unwilling"

Do they lose their license if they move away?
No, you have to pay an exorbitant fine.
The sticky situation I see happening here is arguments about tiers of care - if NPs are inferior screeners why is it ok for poor or rural areas to get inferior care to wealthier city patients?
If they currently have low to no access it’s better to have access to an inferior screener than to nothing at all. Why don’t you ask this question to your faculty at Hopkins since they are so eager to have NPs do screening scopes?

I agree we are hurtling along at a rapid pace to a two tiered healthcare system in the US. It’s not physicians driving that bus.
If they're not inferior, why cant they screen everywhere MDs can? Gets tough to justify without resorting to "MDs deserve first dibs on the cash cows and you can only have them if were unwilling"
Because the entire nurse lobby campaign for independence has been founded on the idea that NPs will help increase access to care in rural areas. At minimum such a restriction would force them to acknowledge the fact that is a complete lie.

Reactions: 2 users
No, you have to pay an exorbitant fine.

If they currently have low to no access it’s better to have access to an inferior screener than to nothing at all. Why don’t you ask this question to your faculty at Hopkins since they are so eager to have NPs do screening scopes?

I agree we are hurtling along at a rapid pace to a two tiered healthcare system in the US. It’s not physicians driving that bus.

Because the entire nurse lobby campaign for independence has been founded on the idea that NPs will help increase access to care in rural areas. At minimum such a restriction would force them to acknowledge the fact that is a complete lie.
How exactly does this fine work - is it the state government coming to reclaim tuition subsidy they gave under the obligation? Sounds like a promising answer to the distribution issues, not just for midlevel but for the DO and MD state schools funded by taxpayers

Don’t see how that works. How can we say nurses are qualified to do certain things, but only in rural areas. We basically send the message that docs don’t want to deal with the underserved which would backfire hard.

Don’t see how that works. How can we say nurses are qualified to do certain things, but only in rural areas. We basically send the message that docs don’t want to deal with the underserved which would backfire hard.
Agreed. Its a fun idea in concept but the real world implications are not at all good.

I don't know how that would work. However, Florida has an ACN (area of critical need) license for physician who are not qualified for unrestricted license. And they have a list of facilities (mostly rural, prisons and migrant clinics) where physicians who hold the ACN license are allowed to practice medicine.

• Hmm
  • Wow
Reactions: 3 users
Agreed. Its a fun idea in concept but the real world implications are not at all good.
Yeah it would be a thing for like 2 years and then there would be a massive PR campaign about how greedy physicians are keeping their cash cow in desirable areas and that we don’t really care about patients.

And I’d struggle to create a good counter argument.

There is precedent with ACN licenses as mentioned above. It would definitely depend on how physicians lobbied for it, as it would definitely have to take on the form of “yes we would love the help in getting access to rural and underserved areas, let’s ensure those people get access by allowing adequately trained MLPs to be certified for select
procedures in those areas.”

I see no difference in this than the cardiology NP who gets sent to the rural area to do a big city cardiologist’s patient visits in that area. There are multiple instances of this set up I see in the city I’m in for school.

We already get painted as the greedy doctors by these orgs by simply opposing their push for increased scope....

There is precedent with ACN licenses as mentioned above. It would definitely depend on how physicians lobbied for it, as it would definitely have to take on the form of “yes we would love the help in getting access to rural and underserved areas, let’s ensure those people get access by allowing adequately trained MLPs to be certified for select
procedures in those areas.”

I see no difference in this than the cardiology NP who gets sent to the rural area to do a big city cardiologist’s patient visits in that area. There are multiple instances of this set up I see in the city I’m in for school.

We already get painted as the greedy doctors by these orgs by simply opposing their push for increased scope....
Not the same. Doing the above to nurses will just be seen as bullying. I also just don’t think services by NPs like this are at all appropriate so maybe that’s increasing my bias against the idea. Maybe I’d be more confident in their capabilities to perform an invasive procedure unsupervised if I didn’t see them handing out benzos and stimulants like candy all the while being unable to manage HTN and hyperlipidemia. It’s absolutely ridiculous that we’re giving these people even more opportunity to kill someone.

Allowing this stuff just pushes us further toward a two-tiered healthcare system.

vent over.

I also just don’t think services by NPs like this are at all appropriate so maybe that’s increasing my bias against the idea. Maybe I’d be more confident in their capabilities to perform an invasive procedure unsupervised if I didn’t see them handing out benzos and stimulants like candy all the while being unable to manage HTN and hyperlipidemia. It’s absolutely ridiculous that we’re giving these people even more opportunity to kill someone.
I agree with you. I had a new NP in a cardiology clinic ask me how I went about reading EKGs because they had never done it before. I’m just not sure how we can put the cat back in the bag.

I agree with you. I had a new NP in a cardiology clinic ask me how I went about reading EKGs because they had never done it before. I’m just not sure how we can put the cat back in the bag.
There are Cardiologist’s training NPs their secrets and NPs love them and work for them and when they retire the NPs start their own thing.

Hey at least in a two tiered healthcare system we’ll probably, paradoxically, eventually get paid more. Not less.
How so? Arent most peoples bread and butter cash cows the repetitive simple procedures that would be exactly what NPs do a fellowship year to scoop up? Skin biopsies, colonoscopies, injections, etc?

How so? Arent most peoples bread and butter cash cows the repetitive simple procedures that would be exactly what NPs do a fellowship year to scoop up? Skin biopsies, colonoscopies, injections, etc?
Look at any country in the world that has two or more tiers of healthcare and see how much physicians are getting paid in the ‘private, better’ system vs. the ‘public, default’ system.

At first the lines will be blurry but over time if you really believe we will end up in a two tiered system (I don’t necessarily), that will be the logical conclusion. People with money will pay more to see doctors to have the ‘best’. Hospitals will start recruiting for advertising and prestige. The whole warped system will get worse.

That’s how that world would play out.

Didn’t know this was a thing back when this thread got going.

• Wow

Didn’t know this was a thing back when this thread got going.
This is what this Kalloo guy did. Note how the LOR is from a supervising physician.