Black listed former CCF resident

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kemper6036

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

should be a warning regarding social media. essentially blacklisted now. i love the lawyer speak of the CEO however. apparently if she did match, she passed whatever screening they did (not much apparently) and it wasn't until after did they find out she lied on her application, giving the hospital grounds to break the match agreement

Members don't see this ad.

If she really did write what they said she wrote.... I'm always surprised how dumb supposedly intelligent people can truly be.

Reactions: 1 user
She said awful things, but I'm not a fan of shaming people on the internet. A few years ago, a UMiami resident was fired for getting into a scuffle with an Uber driver. The whole thing was caught on video and it became a major primetime story when in reality it was a run-of-the-mill altercation in, of all places, Florida (the home of "Florida Man").

The girl wasn't only fired, her name was plastered all over the internet and mocked incessantly. People went as far as calling for her to be raped and killed, while some made websites dedicated to her demise. It was bizarre watching her apologize on Good Morning America; a case study in public shaming and the degree to which people were invested in destroying this girl's life was astounding. I digress, clearly this woman committed a firable offense far beyond the aforementioned, but I get the impression there's some schadenfreude involved in anyone who follows the story.

Also, looking up people's social media, in my opinion, is unprofessional and weird. If you don't trust a nationwide criminal/civil background check in addition to an LCME-accredited medical school, that's a level of cynicism I don't think anyone wants to work with. I'm sorry, why would you look someone up on Twitter and Facebook when you have rec letters and 4 years worth of performance reviews?

Reactions: 3 users
She said awful things, but I'm not a fan of shaming people on the internet. A few years ago, a UMiami resident was fired for getting into a scuffle with an Uber driver. The whole thing was caught on video and it became a major primetime story when in reality it was a run-of-the-mill altercation in, of all places, Florida (the home of "Florida Man").

The girl wasn't only fired, her name was plastered all over the internet and mocked incessantly. People went as far as calling for her to be raped and killed, while some made websites dedicated to her demise. It was bizarre watching her apologize on Good Morning America; a case study in public shaming and the degree to which people were invested in destroying this girl's life was astounding. I digress, clearly this woman committed a firable offense far beyond the aforementioned, but I get the impression there's some schadenfreude involved in anyone who follows the story.

Also, looking up people's social media, in my opinion, is unprofessional and weird. If you don't trust a nationwide criminal/civil background check in addition to an LCME-accredited medical school, that's a level of cynicism I don't think anyone wants to work with. I'm sorry, why would you look someone up on Twitter and Facebook when you have rec letters and 4 years worth of performance reviews?
You seem to have missed all of your lectures on professionalism. Public behavior counts and your life as a clinician doesn't end when you leave the hospital.

Reactions: 12 users

Dude this is the 21st century, social media is 100% out there and available to people. If you don’t like it make your stuff PRIVATE or go back and delete it now - have some common sense. Just changing your Facebook name to something ridiculous during application season isn’t going to get the job done.

And please go back and watch the video of that Miami resident. There wasn’t anything “run of the mill” about it AT ALL. She went absolutely ape **** on the driver and made a crazy spectacle of the scene. As a society we hold our doctors to a higher standard than that. I don’t care what gender or race or whatever X group you identify with - you act the fool like that then there will be significant consequences.

Reactions: 11 users
You seem to have missed all of your lectures on professionalism. Public behavior counts and your life as a clinician doesn't end when you leave the hospital.
And what people don't seem to get is that you can still get away with a lot. Yes public behavior counts, but it has to be pretty bad for it to cause significant consequences.

Posting publicly that you are going to give Jews the incorrect medications on purpose is pretty bad. Pretty sure we've executed people for that before.

Reactions: 2 users
On the one hand, the worst of the statements were from 2012, before she as even in medical school. Who among us didn't say some stupid **** in college?

On the other hand, the worst of the statements were advocating genocide. While I can say I was an annoying 19 year old, I can't say I ever advocated for poisoning people solely based on their ethnicity.

If she just had some controversial tweets from 7 years ago and, after they came to light, she sat down with her program director, expressed remorse, and said that's not her anymore? She'd probably not have been fired. But there's a line, and her historical words crossed it.

On the one hand, the worst of the statements were from 2012, before she as even in medical school. Who among us didn't say some stupid **** in college?

On the other hand, the worst of the statements were advocating genocide. While I can say I was an annoying 19 year old, I can't say I ever advocated for poisoning people solely based on their ethnicity.

If she just had some controversial tweets from 7 years ago and, after they came to light, she sat down with her program director, expressed remorse, and said that's not her anymore? She'd probably not have been fired. But there's a line, and her historical words crossed it.
I think it helps that social media wasn't a thing (or as big of a thing) when we were in college. I got my Facebook account spring of Senior Year so 19 year old me wouldn't have had a super public way to say stupid things.

I think it helps that social media wasn't a thing (or as big of a thing) when we were in college. I got my Facebook account spring of Senior Year so 19 year old me wouldn't have had a super public way to say stupid things.
Facebook became open to anyone with a .edu address during my Freshman year in college, so I'm reasonably well documented there. There's plenty of dumb political arguments but never have I advocated for violence against any specific groups. I suppose some of my posts could be used to accuse me of being racist - I never liked the idea of affirmative action for example - but even today I'd deny any of them have racial prejudice in them.

But my mother has been my friend on Facebook since probably 2009 or 2010 so I also don't put anything on there that I wouldn't mind her seeing.

I'm going to push back on your perception of professionalism. Public behavior counts to the extent that its illegal or extensively unbecoming. In medical school, our dean spoke to a student about changing photographs on his social media profile because they depicted him holding a beer at a baseball game. It got to a point where he was threatened with disciplinary action. Some students stood up for him and got a lawyer involved, the school backed down very quickly and never brought it up again. The kid matched 2 years ago - still doing great in residency. He essentially told us that if it can be proven that a form of legal expression was used to determine your enrollment/employment, that's grounds for a lawsuit. The European Union passed laws requiring large search engines and social media companies to take down content deemed damaging or unappealing to an individual, especially if the information is no longer relevant. Clearly, this anti-semitic nitwit is an exception, but my point stands: professionalism is not about making yourself impressionable in a positive way, it's about being able to balance your work with your everyday life and not let one interfere with the other. And actually, your job does end when you leave the hospital because you're more than just a pair of scrubs and a stethoscope. As a recent graduate, I wish more faculty would understand this and not teach us such a one-dimensional view of professionalism.

With that being said, the point can be made that you work in a system that is grossly unethtical and immoral by virtue of treating healthcare like a commodity. Do you think students want a lecture about professionalism by someone that charges them $50,000 a year, especially when that same degree cost half as much when they were in high school?

Last edited:
I'm going to push back on your perception of professionalism. Public behavior counts to the extent that its illegal or extensively unbecoming. In medical school, our dean spoke to a student about changing photographs on his social media profile because they depicted him holding a beer at a baseball game. It got to a point where he was threatened with disciplinary action. Some students stood up for him and got a lawyer involved, the school backed down very quickly and never brought it up again. The kid matched 2 years ago - still doing great in residency. He essentially told us that if it can be proven that a form of legal expression was used to determine your enrollment/employment, that's grounds for a lawsuit. The European Union passed laws requiring large search engines and social media companies to take down content deemed damaging or unappealing to an individual, especially if the information is no longer relevant. Clearly, this anti-semitic nitwit is an exception, but my point stands: professionalism is not about making yourself impressionable in a positive way, it's about being able to balance your work with your everyday life and not let one interfere with the other.

With that being said, the point can be made that you work in a system that is grossly unethtical and immoral by virtue of treating healthcare like a commodity. Do you think students want to be lectured by someone that charges them $50,000 a year about professionalism, especially when that same degree cost half as much when they were in high school?
And what people don't seem to get is that you can still get away with a lot. Yes public behavior counts, but it has to be pretty bad for it to cause significant consequences.

Posting publicly that you are going to give Jews the incorrect medications on purpose is pretty bad. Pretty sure we've executed people for that before.

Huh, thought you were older for some reason
Might be just that FB is older than you think. It became public to *everyone* in 2006, to .edu folks in 2005, to specific schools before that. I graduated HS in 2005.

Regardless though, current M1s who are traditional students would have been born in ~1996, so they all easily could have been on social media since they turned 13 (or earlier, if they were breaking the rules).

Reactions: 1 users
In medical school, our dean spoke to a student about changing photographs on his social media profile because they depicted him holding a beer at a baseball game. It got to a point where he was threatened with disciplinary action. Some students stood up for him and got a lawyer involved, the school backed down very quickly and never brought it up again.

It’s one thing drinking on social media, it’s another advocating killing or hastening the death of a particular ethnic group.

Also to this direct example, we weren’t allowed to post boozing pictures from school-sponsored events. I went to a public medical school and they (justifiably) didn’t want the state taxpayers thinking a huge amount of their dollars being wasted on alcohol. They wouldn’t buy much, if any, of the stuff. In residency we couldn’t post with Coca-cola products either (Pepsi school) and I got a warning from some office after a welcome party where I seemed to always have a Coke Zero in my hand.

Could I have pushed and lawyered up? Sure, but at some point it’s better to just follow the rules especially as a student and resident.

Might be just that FB is older than you think. It became public to *everyone* in 2006, to .edu folks in 2005, to specific schools before that. I graduated HS in 2005.

Regardless though, current M1s who are traditional students would have been born in ~1996, so they all easily could have been on social media since they turned 13 (or earlier, if they were breaking the rules).
I know the timeline. I also thought you and I were the same age, but I graduated college in 2005 so...

I'm going to push back on your perception of professionalism. Public behavior counts to the extent that its illegal or extensively unbecoming. In medical school, our dean spoke to a student about changing photographs on his social media profile because they depicted him holding a beer at a baseball game. It got to a point where he was threatened with disciplinary action. Some students stood up for him and got a lawyer involved, the school backed down very quickly and never brought it up again. The kid matched 2 years ago - still doing great in residency. He essentially told us that if it can be proven that a form of legal expression was used to determine your enrollment/employment, that's grounds for a lawsuit. The European Union passed laws requiring large search engines and social media companies to take down content deemed damaging or unappealing to an individual, especially if the information is no longer relevant. Clearly, this anti-semitic nitwit is an exception, but my point stands: professionalism is not about making yourself impressionable in a positive way, it's about being able to balance your work with your everyday life and not let one interfere with the other. And actually, your job does end when you leave the hospital because you're more than just a pair of scrubs and a stethoscope. As a recent graduate, I wish more faculty would understand this and not teach us such a one-dimensional view of professionalism.

With that being said, the point can be made that you work in a system that is grossly unethtical and immoral by virtue of treating healthcare like a commodity. Do you think students want a lecture about professionalism by someone that charges them $50,000 a year, especially when that same degree cost half as much when they were in high school?
Like it or not, when you put on that white coat, it sticks to you. You are representing your profession no matter where you are, and that's why public behavior counts. Those standards apply to me as well...if I start posting inflammatory stupid crap on FB, I could get fired for it too.

And please don't lecture anyone about the cost of a medical education unless you can show us the gun that was placed to your head and forced you to apply to medical school.

Not sure what the big deal is. The level of professionalism required of physicians in their private life is really easy to achieve, Basically don't arrested and don't put anything incredibly inflammatory into writing/video.

If it's a weekend and you get hammered at a BBQ and someone posts that on FB literally no one cares (except for that dean in R@R_MD's story...which sounds like an urban legend/BS to me).

Reactions: 4 users
This situation is complicated. The resident involved posted some horrible comments when she was younger -- perhaps she got caught up with a group, was young and idealistic, thought she was indestructible, that "free speech" means she can say whatever she wants without consequence, and thought no one would be able to figure out whom she was. Many of us have been "guilty" of at least some of this in our pasts.

If that's where this story ended, perhaps the outcome would be different. My recollections of the original story were that after investigation, more recent posts came to light (I may be wrong about that, and I'm not hunting back to find out). Regardless, she was fired.

The article linked now states that she lied on her application about why she left her last program. That's application fraud, and completely unacceptable. In my world, she gets fired (or not hired) for that, regardless of the circumstances.

I too am somewhat concerned about mob shaming on social media. The widespread and unregulated nature of social media platforms allows massive negative publicity, which understandably many employers don't want to face. The woman who flipped off Trump, caught on camera, and then identified and fired from her job is a good example. Often the outrage machine slows down over time and these news bites slip into the past, and people can move on. But in this case, if what's in the article is true, I have no problem with the outcome.

Reactions: 5 users
In residency we couldn’t post with Coca-cola products either (Pepsi school) and I got a warning from some office after a welcome party where I seemed to always have a Coke Zero in my hand.

Not sure if joking, but if not then please let people know where you went so folks can avoid that anal retentive school

Because people forget to hide who they really are on social media

In residency we couldn’t post with Coca-cola products either (Pepsi school) and I got a warning from some office after a welcome party where I seemed to always have a Coke Zero in my hand.

And these are the institutions teaching us "professionalism". Is it an academic institution or an advertising agency? What a joke.

And these are the institutions teaching us "professionalism". Is it an academic institution or an advertising agency? What a joke.
Well not all residencies are sponsored by universities or the connection could be tenuous at best. I can totally see a for profit hospital or even a nonprofit community hospital doing this.

Well, it was supposed to be a humorous anecdote.

The longer story is that some of the pictures found its way to the front page of the departmental website and even part of the scrolling pictures on the school of medicine. The institution has a huge financial link to PepsiCo and they share patents. I wasn’t threatened at all, just a “heads up” sort of e-mail - very benign, and explained the relationship. I laughed about it and moved on. For our next event the department bought the soda themselves so wasn’t an issue.

Last edited:
What this girl needed when she was caught the first time was a crisis manager, an apology tour and some kind of public show of reconciliation. Thinking she could just apply again was foolish and questions whether or not she's actually sorry.

I hope that neurology resident at Miami was able to move on.

Well I graduated med school in 2006 so now I know I'm officially old.....

(got my FB as a PGY-2 resident, I think)
I had guessed you at 2-3 years older (based on how long your post-graduation training worked out to be) than I am so assuming you weren't non-trad that still works.

i believe in "an eye for an eye/tooth for tooth" and in second chances.

i think they overreacted. not to mention the "Canary Mission" involvement which is a major political involvement/influencer, plus the whole circumstances (Palestinian vs Israeli) fight over land.

the girl acted stupid 7 years ago(2012), we all do stupid ****, we all did. destroying someones whole career (and life) is over reacting, it's more like " a tooth for whole lower limb". its like execution for $2 shoplifting!
she did apologize, i found a blog where she apologized publicly. Lara Kollab . she never injured/hurt no one in reality.
publicly shamed and fired from 2 jobs are enough punishment in my opinion.

hospitals however might be more concerned about liability in case she screwed up somewhere someone somehow then they will be sued for **** load of money.

i believe in "an eye for an eye/tooth for tooth" and in second chances.

i think they overreacted. not to mention the "Canary Mission" involvement which is a major political involvement/influencer, plus the whole circumstances (Palestinian vs Israeli) fight over land.

the girl acted stupid 7 years ago(2012), we all do stupid ****, we all did. destroying someones whole career (and life) is over reacting, it's more like " a tooth for whole lower limb". its like execution for $2 shoplifting!
she did apologize, i found a blog where she apologized publicly. Lara Kollab . she never injured/hurt no one in reality.
publicly shamed and fired from 2 jobs are enough punishment in my opinion.

hospitals however might be more concerned about liability in case she screwed up somewhere someone somehow then they will be sued for **** load of money.
It wasn't just a single stupid ass comment 7 years ago, it was a continuing history of anti-Semitism and even Holocaust denial.

The most perverse thing about this whole situation was that she went to Touro-NY...an Orthodox Jewish school!

I'd take a shoplifter over someone who comments on intent to harm patients anyday.

Last edited:
Reactions: 12 users
It wasn't just a single stupid ass comment 7 years ago, it was a continuing history of anti-Semitism and eve Holocaust denial.

The most perverse thing about this whole situation was that she went to Touro-NY...an Orthodox Jewish school!

I take take a shoplifter over someone who comments on intent to harm patients anyday.
i like to give people the benefit of doubt.
was it or not before she went to school? may be she grew up?changed her mind?
if she hates Jews so much how come she went to Jewish school? no body in her school noticed that? why Canary Mission involved?

Last edited:
i like to give people the benefit of doubt.
was it or not before she went to school? may be she grew up?changed her mind?
if she hates Jews so much how come she went to Jewish school? no body in her school noticed that? why Canary Mission involved?
Because medical school is hard to get into... it’s one thing to be or make anti Semitic statements , but to say you would give Jewish patients the wrong medication when you are actually in the position to do so?? You don’t get to stay in that position.

Reactions: 11 users
I think there’s still a line between “dumb stuff people say in college” and advocating for genocide/purposeful malpractice. Her tweet is pretty specific. You just have to have some background thoughts about that topic for it to even occur to you to say/tweet imo.

Regardless I think she would have benefited from an “apology tour” as someone mentioned above. There are a few former Westboro Baptist “kids” (now adults) out there who have made a huge public show about disagreeing with their parents’ beliefs and supporting opposing causes. She’s not quite as well known but I think that’s a case where an “apology tour” has helped clean up an image. I could see one of them not having issues getting into med school if they wanted, because of that.

And please don't lecture anyone about the cost of a medical education unless you can show us the gun that was placed to your head and forced you to apply to medical school.

I don't think "you can quit anytime you want" and "you willingly signed up for this" are blank checks for poor behavior, especially in situations with lopsided power (such as a med school dean and a med student).

I don't think "you can quit anytime you want" and "you willingly signed up for this" are blank checks for poor behavior, especially in situations with lopsided power (such as a med school dean and a med student).
What are you referring to? My comments were addressed to those complaints about tuition, which has nothing to do with this thread.

Unfortunately some things do follow you around forever, the world isn't fair. Look how much people are crucified for DUIs in their careers, or even honest-to-God mental illness under circumstances where no one has actually been in danger of harming others. Not saying it makes it right. Just saying, it's no shock that the profession is conservative, and if that kind of thing isn't going to fly and is going to cripple your career, well....

I don't know how true this is, but also, maybe we believe people have certain innate characters and temperaments. I look back on the person I've been and the mistakes I've made, and they're not the same as others. We are looking for, in the profession, people who are "good" through and through, in many ways. I don't know how we want to define that. I too believe in second chances. But some people don't need a second chance for some things.

Keep in mind, how many qualified applicants to medical school or residency, that have NEVER said something like this, at all? And certainly never said so in any public sphere?

Getting into medical school requires having been a person of fairly decent judgement from pretty freaking early on in life. My good grades started before college. It's hard to succeed in college without at least taking a good stab at those skills in high school and before. Is that everyone? No, but then, you see a lot of people on SDN spinning a lot of wheels to overcome any of the ways they "strayed" from the path early on.

Unfortunately, the only predictor of future behaviour, is past behaviour.

Like, did she not understand at least when she was applying to medical school, that she needed to clean up her online image? Did she just forget having said such atrocious things? Did it matter so little to her?

As much as I am all for second chances and growing up, some things you cannot make those mistakes moving forward. Like, there's a date for which your legal career as an exotic dancer must end, and your public antisemitic comments must come down and not be made ever again.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
The DO med student forum was all over this months ago. Last I recall, the person was posting anti-semitic stuff as recently as 2017.

No sympathy whatsoever. You can have radical political opinions, but good lord.

What are you referring to? My comments were addressed to those complaints about tuition, which has nothing to do with this thread.
I thought you were addressing the (figurative) cost of med school, since the quoted comment was mostly about the administration going on a power trip. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Welp.

tenor.gif

It happens a lot in sports medicine fellowships. I did my fellowship where the university was sponsored by Coca-Cola and Underarmour. For my first football game I got flack for wearing Nike shoes on the sideline, so the equipment manager pulled me aside and gave me my own UA shoes (free stuff!) We had Powerade for a sports drink or Dasani for water only. If we used gatorade (which the athletes requested for often) we had to put tape over the logo.

It happens a lot in sports medicine fellowships. I did my fellowship where the university was sponsored by Coca-Cola and Underarmour. For my first football game I got flack for wearing Nike shoes on the sideline, so the equipment manager pulled me aside and gave me my own UA shoes (free stuff!) We had Powerade for a sports drink or Dasani for water only. If we used gatorade (which the athletes requested for often) we had to put tape over the logo.
I can understand the athletes, but I don't know this, so I'm asking: for the Dasani, for example, could you take from the athlete supply (officially, not just because no one stopped you), or was it just, like, in the cafeteria and vending machines?

I'm not any type of athletic doc, but I am an avid Zero and Cherry Zero drinker!

I can understand the athletes, but I don't know this, so I'm asking: for the Dasani, for example, could you take from the athlete supply (officially, not just because no one stopped you), or was it just, like, in the cafeteria and vending machines?

I'm not any type of athletic doc, but I am an avid Zero and Cherry Zero drinker!

Dude i took it from the athletic training room daily! Where I did fellowship, training room clinic was daily at 7AM (athletes work out at 6 or even earlier so we'd see any issues afterwards). I'd see the patients, and before I headed out to actual clinic (non college athletes), I'd take a Coke Zero or Dasani water bottle to go!

What an utterly myopic and ignorant statement.

What an utterly myopic and ignorant statement.
Only to the people who think that a seat in med school is a God given right. You chose this path. IF your parents forced you to do this, then shame on you for not having the backbone to determine your own fate.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Only to the people who think that a seat in med school is a God given right. You chose this path. IF your parents forced you to do this, then shame on you for not having the backbone to determine your own fate.

I'm not sure we're on the same page. The comment of yours I quoted appears to be insinuating that one shouldn't not complain about tuition if nobody forced them to attend. The tangent off which you careened doesn't address that point.

You then took an offensive stance.

Dude this is the 21st century, social media is 100% out there and available to people. If you don’t like it make your stuff PRIVATE or go back and delete it now - have some common sense. Just changing your Facebook name to something ridiculous during application season isn’t going to get the job done.

And please go back and watch the video of that Miami resident. There wasn’t anything “run of the mill” about it AT ALL. She went absolutely ape **** on the driver and made a crazy spectacle of the scene. As a society we hold our doctors to a higher standard than that. I don’t care what gender or race or whatever X group you identify with - you act the fool like that then there will be significant consequences.

I agree. Social media is 100% fair game. If you don't want people looking at it keep it private or don't have one. Everyone looks at your social media. Nowadays people keep things private anyway, especially professionals.

I'm not sure we're on the same page. The comment of yours I quoted appears to be insinuating that one shouldn't not complain about tuition if nobody forced them to attend. The tangent off which you careened doesn't address that point.

You then took an offensive stance.
Goros point, since you are obviously not getting it, is that you are not required to go to med school or even stay in med school...anyone who decides to go to med school should be aware of the costs, both financially and emotionally, before starting the endeavor...

Reactions: 4 users
This situation is complicated.

It’s not complicated though. I’ve never spouted racist crap or threatened ethnic genocide - even as an idiot kid. I guarantee we could scroll through your history and see nothing even close to what this lady said.

• Love
Very little good comes out of Social Media. If you want to use it, you bear the consequences.

There is no difference b/t posting something on Social Media and Saying it into a microphone. Social media is actually worse b./c its permanently placed.

I have no sympathy. Anyone who owns a business would do the same. The liability is enormous.

Imagine if someone dies under her care and was Jewish? There is no way to defend this in any civil court.

She got what she deserved. She deserves the worthless degree and whatever huge debt that came with it.