Blazer a must for interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

roundgarlic

Reaction score
Sorry if this is a stupid question - for women is it generally also a must to wear a blazer during an interview? Originally I was planning on wearing a modest professional blouse (that you could wear under a blazer) but then I started to have doubts. The last one I bought was for Model UN in high school which obviously doesn't fit me and I'm wondering if I need to go find one this weekend. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Typically, pre-pandemic, almost every applicant wore a suit on interview day. This would include a suit jacket which is similar to a blazer. Since 2020-21, most interviews have been online and for all I know, everyone is wearing a pair of shorts along with the typical suit on the top.
It wouldn't be the end of the world if you were a modest professional blouse for a virtual interview but you might feel more confident if you conform to the expectation that you'd be wearing a formal blazer or suit jacket.

Check out thrift shops that accept donations for local charities. That's how I found my favorite interview jacket!

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 4 users
Agree with above - most candidates are wearing a suit jacket/blazer regardless of gender. The ones who don't stand out.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Medical profession is very conservative. A suit is very much a requirement in person or Zoom.

Reactions: 1 user
It might also depend on the interview format. MMI goes so quickly that the interviewers won’t pay much attention to your clothes.

I went and got a blazer for my interviews 😄 thanks everyone!

Reactions: 5 users