MD blind in one eye

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

johnnycash12

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys

I am a current MS1 at a US medical school and have had this question on my mind for a while. I am blind in one eye from birth and can see 20/15 in the other eye with correction. It has never held me back in the past, but I presume that might change in my 3rd and 4th year. I was wondering which medical specialties would I be precluded from practicing due to my condition, and which would I be able to practice in without a significant disadvantage?

Members don't see this ad.

What a good question.

I am no expert but I am guesing anything requiring a large amount of depth perception would be a no go.

Specialties with the most amount of issues.
All surgical subsepecialties.
Path
Derm
Rads
Optho
OBGYN

Specialties with the least amount of issues
IM
FP
PMR
Pysch
Neuro
Peds
Genetics

Specialties which require some procedures where it might be an issue
Anasthesia
EM
CC

Reactions: 1 user
How are you with microscopes? There are quite a few surgical subspecialties off the top of my head that use them in the OR (NSGY, ENT, ophtho, plastics, uro [robot])

Members don't see this ad :)
For the most part, I am relatively good with microscopes and examination of specimens

From what I have heard, I was thinking anaesthesiology might be doable

41wQXK79lUL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
I came accross this .
Amazon product

So it has been done before, I even read something about an optho having one eye as well.

Another thing to think about is endoscopic procedures that are done via looking at monitor might not pose any additional difficulty for you. However I dont know of any specialty besides GI , maybe IR that only does those.

@libertyyne I don't think radiology would be much of an issue. You need to understand how things relate to each other in 3D space, but rarely are you physically observing anything other than a 2D image.

Just saw a football player catch a ball with only one hand, so life seems like it's full of possibilities..

Reactions: 1 users
If you've been blind in one eye since birth then you have probably developed strategies for dealing with having little to no depth perception.

One of my good buddies is also blind in one eye and no one knows or suspects unless he tells them. He played ball sports growing up and is now a surgeon who has had no trouble in the OR as a result of his "condition" (his PD or senior residents had no idea he had any vision problems). He naturally shied away from subspecialties requiring microscope work or microsurgery, but I think that was more due to lack of interest than trouble with procedures due to his eyesight. He says he actually had an advantage during laparascopic surgeries early in his training because his world has always been in 2D and he didn't have to learn to adapt 3D to 2D.

My advice to you would be to be realistic about your limitations but also know that you can accomplish a lot with the vision you do have. It's not as limiting as people think because of the strategies you've developed over the course of your life. My mind was blown when my buddy told me about his vision issues because I never would've guessed based on his professional successes. Good luck!

Hey guys

I am a current MS1 at a US medical school and have had this question on my mind for a while. I am blind in one eye from birth and can see 20/15 in the other eye with correction. It has never held me back in the past, but I presume that might change in my 3rd and 4th year. I was wondering which medical specialties would I be precluded from practicing due to my condition, and which would I be able to practice in without a significant disadvantage?

Have you reported this to your school? In all honesty, personally I wouldn't (I could care less if you judge me). I think many people make up assumptions without actually having been in your position. If you can drive safely and conduct day to day tasks without hassle, I doubt its going to be an issue. Its quite hypocritical when doctors judge the "disabilities" of their peers because most surgeons do not operate while being in the most optimal self-presenting conditions. For example, numerous studies have shown that the lack of sleep and stress are the major drivers of medical errors. In addition, other disabilities like Parkinson's and Alzheimer's occur in same rate among doctors, yet doctors are not required to undergo "technical standards" verification for such disabilities.

Just pursue your goals, whether that be neurosurgery or pediatrics!

Reactions: 1 users
Have you reported this to your school? In all honesty, personally I wouldn't (I could care less if you judge me). I think many people make up assumptions without actually having been in your position. If you can drive safely and conduct day to day tasks without hassle, I doubt its going to be an issue. Its quite hypocritical when doctors judge the "disabilities" of their peers because most surgeons do not operate while being in the most optimal self-presenting conditions. For example, numerous studies have shown that the lack of sleep and stress are the major drivers of medical errors. In addition, other disabilities like Parkinson's and Alzheimer's occur in same rate among doctors, yet doctors are not required to undergo "technical standards" verification for such disabilities.

Just pursue your goals, whether that be neurosurgery or pediatrics!

No, I have not reported this to my school since it has yet to impact my ability to follow the curriculum. Thank you for the words of wisdom cable guy.