Blockbuster new Biologic Drug

Started by BLADEMDA
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

BLADEMDA

Full Member
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was watching Mad Money when Cramer's guest discussed his company's newest blockbuster drug: Anti-TL1A Antibody.
Before any of you scoff at this drug you need to realize that the TNFa drug, Humira, was one of the most profitable drugs ever discovered in the history of the pharmacy/biotech industry. This new biologic is likely going to pass the profitability of TNFa inhibitors as a class.
 



This new Biologic seems more effective than TNFa inhibitors for treatment of Crohns and possibly other inflammatory auto immune diseases. This is great news for patients, physicians and investors.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
This new class of drugs may be worth $300-$500 billion in revenue over the next 2 decades. It's a huge breakthrough and will likely surpass HUMIRA.

Two decades and $200 billion: AbbVie’s Humira monopoly nears its end​

Biosimilar copies of Humira will arrive in the U.S. next year, testing both AbbVie and the market potential of knockoff biologic drugs.


 
Who owns it? Where do I invest? When I make millions, do I fly first class or charter a jet to the Bahamas?
This drug is in phase 2 trials but its really worth taking a look at because TNFa inhibitors are very effective and this class of drugs is likely even better. Regardless of your philosophy about investing, this drug is a breakthrough for a huge number of patients.
 

Global sales of Humira since 2003​

AbbVie’s drug is the highest-selling pharmaceutical product in history, earning nearly $200 billion since its late 2002 U.S. approval. (Figures in millions of dollars)

1670638993752.png
 
Of course, Moderna has class-leading mRNA technology for vaccine development and cancer treatment. The anti-obesity drug from Eli Lilly is going to be a blockbuster so that stock has exploded in 2022.

This week, the conclusion from the phase 3 Surpass-2 trial was clear: In terms of reducing blood sugar levels and body weight, Lilly’s dual GIP/GLP-1 agonist, at all three doses tested, was better than Novo’s GLP-1 drug at its highest approved dose
 
Currently, one of the best glucose-lowering medications for weight management is Wegovy (semaglutide), which resulted in a 14.9% reduction in body weight – significantly lower than tirzepatide’s 22.5% reduction.

 
I’m excited to hear about this. IBD is a nasty disease that is increasingly affecting more of the population. I know several people in my life affected by UC and Crohns: pain, repeat surgery, poor quality of life etc…Humira and other biologics have been game changers for many, but they don’t always work, or work well, or have bad side effects.
 
Everyone has it out for big pharma.

Until they make drugs that make an entire disease class livable for millions or cure the entire world of a pandemic. No sweat for those greedy capitalists.

Most cases of UC and crohns I see are entirely manageable thanks to big pharma advances.
Problem is that the US taxpayer funds the research for these drugs and then the drug companies sell them for exorbitant prices in the US while other countries get them for pennies on the dollar.
 
I’m excited to hear about this. IBD is a nasty disease that is increasingly affecting more of the population. I know several people in my life affected by UC and Crohns: pain, repeat surgery, poor quality of life etc…Humira and other biologics have been game changers for many, but they don’t always work, or work well, or have bad side effects.
This class of Biologics has the potential to treat many inflammatory diseases like Humira. I expect this to be the NEW biologic of choice when initiating therapy:

1. IBD
2. RA
3. Lupus/SLE
4. Psoriatic Arthritis
5. Severe Psoriasis
6. Ankylosing Spondylitis

I give kudos to the researchers who discovered this class of drugs which does affect TNFa as well. There will be millions of people who benefit from this discovery.
 
Currently, one of the best glucose-lowering medications for weight management is Wegovy (semaglutide), which resulted in a 14.9% reduction in body weight – significantly lower than tirzepatide’s 22.5% reduction.

None of these numbers matter if they price it so high it doesn't get covered by insurance which is the reality right now. I literally have gotten these drugs covered less than 10% of the time I write for them.

Also how many people on this thread actually prescribe and manage biologics? Treat rheumatic disease or IBD? Going a little outside the lane to be able to predict prescribing patterns no?
 
None of these numbers matter if they price it so high it doesn't get covered by insurance which is the reality right now. I literally have gotten these drugs covered less than 10% of the time I write for them.

Also how many people on this thread actually prescribe and manage biologics? Treat rheumatic disease or IBD? Going a little outside the lane to be able to predict prescribing patterns no?
Prescribing patterns? I just want my money and I want it NOW! And lots of it!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad