SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

blogs - psych grad students, prof, postdoc

Discussion in 'Psychology [Psy.D. / Ph.D.]' started by auro, Jun 20, 2008.

1. auro

auro 2+ Year Member

Mar 11, 2008
    Which (regularly updated) blogs do you read that are written by psych students/academics? Here are a couple I recently found, but I'm sure some of you might be able to share more

Stressful Times for Psych Girl
    Grad student blog (she is going through tough personal stuff right now though that has little to do with grad school)

Life of a Psychology PhD Student
    Doesn't seem to update too often, but interesting (today about an email from her advisor)

Female Science Professor (my favorite)
    Updates often. Really interesting issues about being a professor and female.

Psych Post Doc
    Updates regularly, looking for a job right now
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. islandgirl1

islandgirl1 Psychologist-in-training 2+ Year Member

Dec 6, 2007
  4. JockNerd

JockNerd 5+ Year Member

Mar 28, 2007
    Nothing like explosive self-disclosure for some light reading :rolleyes:

I'm not sure why some people would put such intimately person things online.
  5. RayneeDeigh

RayneeDeigh 5+ Year Member

Feb 4, 2007
    'cause the "anonymity" is comforting and the self-disclosure is probably cathartic.

I dunno, I read the first blog the OP posted. I think the emotional honesty was refreshing especially coming from someone in the same boat education-wise.
  6. Therapist4Chnge

Therapist4Chnge Neuropsych Ninja Faculty Faculty Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Oct 6, 2006
    The Beach
    The good ones are better and more insightful than 99% of professional writing I read, while the rest are taking up bytes that could be better used elsewhere. :D
  7. RayneeDeigh

RayneeDeigh 5+ Year Member

Feb 4, 2007
    Haha this whole thread has made me self-conscious about what I put in my own blog. Joy.
  8. Ollie123

Ollie123 10+ Year Member

Feb 19, 2007
    I'm not bothered by the self-disclosure, though I do think people often disclose more than they should online, and then act shocked when people find out who they are. Well, perhaps bothered isn't the right word. Moreso I wasn't surprised by it.

Mostly, it just reminds me of what we had mentioned in the other thread, about how many folks in this field just live their lives in a perpetual state of freaking out. Not to say it wasn't justified in some cases on those blogs (and elsewhere), it just struck a chord since it seems a large number of people are very unhappy with the field and their experiences with it. I used to think it was reflective of the field, but I have my doubts the further on I go. I'm trying to figure out if I just got ridiculously lucky with my program/lab/advisor, tons of grad students are just very easily stressed, or somewhere in between. Again, that's not to say some people aren't justifiably upset, I just think back to when I was applying and from surfing the web I was led to believe that things would be an absolute nightmare and that after the nightmare I would still have precisely zero chance of actually landing a faculty job.

I guess blogging is just like the news. "I'm busy but having fun" doesn't exactly make for an exciting blog post.
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2008
  9. JockNerd

JockNerd 5+ Year Member

Mar 28, 2007
    I'm not bothered by self-disclosure, but most blogs weird me out. The public ones all seem to be explosively self-disclosive without much insight, and I don't see much value in that. It may a thread of cynicism, but I have this thought in my head that many bloggers think that one day a record of their personal communications will be published and mulled over, or something.
  10. myelin

myelin 5+ Year Member

Feb 25, 2008
    I never understood the point of reading blogs.