Blood Transfusion during Spine Surgery

Started by Doughy315
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Doughy315

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
One of our Spine surgeons has requested that I keep the hematocrit above 35% throughout the case. His reasoning is that Optic Ischemic Retinopathy can occur. This surgeons is slow in operating most of the time. He does not make incision in a timely manner. For instance, after induction it sometimes take him two hours to make incision. He takes almost six hours for one level spinal fusion. I am curious if at other hospitals if the blood transfusion committee would not stand for this?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Sadly some of the worst surgeons are the ones who read things. I can't even begin to list the crazy ass demands I have dealt with that are due to a surgeon extrapolating some low level finding to the nth degree from a paper.

Maybe it's really the ones who read infrequently but still read, because often the original point they are extrapolating from has since been disproved or called into question.
 
Coincidentally, we just gave 7u of pRBC's (I know, I know, that's not all that much, he def needed more, but they were already done.) to a guy getting a T2-Iliac fusion today and he was just diagnosed with HoCM last night. His crit started at 41 and ended at 21. Surgeons bled him like a mother****er. I have to say though that they actually worked pretty fast considering the extent of the surgery. Cut to close about 8 hours.
 
Coincidentally, we just gave 7u of pRBC's (I know, I know, that's not all that much, he def needed more, but they were already done.) to a guy getting a T2-Iliac fusion today and he was just diagnosed with HoCM last night. His crit started at 41 and ended at 21. Surgeons bled him like a mother****er. I have to say though that they actually worked pretty fast considering the extent of the surgery. Cut to close about 8 hours.
Did you give any TXA?
 
Coincidentally, we just gave 7u of pRBC's (I know, I know, that's not all that much, he def needed more, but they were already done.) to a guy getting a T2-Iliac fusion today and he was just diagnosed with HoCM last night. His crit started at 41 and ended at 21. Surgeons bled him like a mother****er. I have to say though that they actually worked pretty fast considering the extent of the surgery. Cut to close about 8 hours.
That sounds pretty crappy. I do 2 PSFs for scoliosis in less than 8 hours with 500-600cc blood loss combined. Not the same, but they can 1. Work faster and 2. Bleed less. Especially in a sick patient.
They all get TXA.
 
That sounds pretty crappy. I do 2 PSFs for scoliosis in less than 8 hours with 500-600cc blood loss combined. Not the same, but they can 1. Work faster and 2. Bleed less. Especially in a sick patient.
They all get TXA.

Same, or pretty close to it. Our peds orthos can do 2 idiopathic spines of that extent by 5, with neither of them getting anything more than cellsaver. Yes, probably healthier, and neuromuscular spine patients obviously take longer, start lower, and bleed more, but still, 8 hours and 7u PRBC is pretty impressive.
 
There's room for respectful disagreement here. Share your concerns regarding risks of blood transfusion, not least of all TRIM. There are plenty there. If he's reasonable, he should respond well to you saying that you'll be mindful of the hematocrit, but also other factors such as the table for positioning, duration of surgery, blood pressure, fluid status/venous outflow, oxygenation saturation, and the variety of factors affecting oxyhemoglobin dissociation. This should hopefully help him see the big picture a bit and that there's a lot more to it than just Hct 35%.
 
. This surgeons is slow in operating most of the time. He does not make incision in a timely manner. For instance, after induction it sometimes take him two hours to make incision. He takes almost six hours for one level spinal fusion.


Oh. My. God
That is unacceptable
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The reason why he takes so long he likes to round first and eat a donut and take a dump in the restroom