blood type question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Manyak222

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
This has been plaguing me bubonically for a while now...(are those words?)

If blood type O has no antigens on its cell, and it produces anti-A and anti-B antibodies, then how can it be a universal donor? For example, if you transfuse O type into A type (which has the A antigen), wont the anti A antibodies in the O type blood interact with the A antigen on the type A blood?

Members don't see this ad.

Manyak222 said:
This has been plaguing me bubonically for a while now...(are those words?)

If blood type O has no antigens on its cell, and it produces anti-A and anti-B antibodies, then how can it be a universal donor? For example, if you transfuse O type into A type (which has the A antigen), wont the anti A antibodies in the O type blood interact with the A antigen on the type A blood?

This kind of confused me at first as well.....

the antigen is the marker on the surface of the rbc.... is sort of identifies the cell... usually they have AntigenA(for type-A); Antigen (for type-B); and Antigen(for type-AB)....
the antibodies are what recognizes the surface antigens and destroys the rbc...
type-o blood has no surface antigens but has antibody A and antibody B so it would destroy any rbc with the a or b antigens....(blood types a,b, ab)

type-a blood has antigen A, and ANTIBODY B.... so it would destroy any rbc with antigen B (bloodtype AB & B)
type-b blood would have antigen B, and antibody A soo it would destroy any rbc with antigen A(bloodtype AB & B)

Since type-blood o blood does not have any surface antigens it is not destroyed by blood types a, b or ab... therefore it is the universal donor.....

i hope this helps... and not just confuse you more...
-ernie

yes, but blood type A has the A antigen on the surface. When you put O into a blood type A person, dont the A ANTIBODIES from the blood type O (it makes both antibodies) attack the A antigen?

Unless they filter O blood from its antibodies, which no book seems to have, it doesnt work

Manyak222 said:
yes, but blood type A has the A antigen on the surface. When you put O into a blood type A person, dont the A ANTIBODIES from the blood type O (it makes both antibodies) attack the A antigen?

Unless they filter O blood from its antibodies, which no book seems to have, it doesnt work

yeah, they will usually centrifuge the donor blood and separate off it's antibodies..........
thats funny, you out smarted the question.......