Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
As a student seeking advice of the wise ones.
Our ICU has admitted 4 cases of lung transplants over the past two weeks for either end-stage COPD or cystic fibrosis. 3 of these cases all had massive intra-operative bleeds necessitating use of many units of blood products (I think one of them got 12 units in the form of pRBCs and FFPs). One of them even went into cardiac arrest. I've had no experiences with transplants before this year.
Is this a common occurrence? Where is the bleed from (in case there is actually a part of the procedure that bleeds loads)? Any prophylactic measures?
Our ICU has admitted 4 cases of lung transplants over the past two weeks for either end-stage COPD or cystic fibrosis. 3 of these cases all had massive intra-operative bleeds necessitating use of many units of blood products (I think one of them got 12 units in the form of pRBCs and FFPs). One of them even went into cardiac arrest. I've had no experiences with transplants before this year.
Is this a common occurrence? Where is the bleed from (in case there is actually a part of the procedure that bleeds loads)? Any prophylactic measures?