Blowing off the writing sample

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EvoDevo

Forging a Different Path
Moderator Emeritus
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I'm pretty good with the written stuff (Verbal too), but I realize that no one really gives a damn about the WS (schools anyhow). And the last time I took the test, I scored an R.

Furthermore, I've come to realize that as long as I do a decent job on this section, no one's going to think twice. Wanna save my energy for the Bio section, which is >>>>>>>>>>> more important.

Anyone else operating under this minimalist strategy?

Members don't see this ad.

I have blown off the WS; the only time I practice is during my TPR diag's... So far I have increased from an M-->S. However, I'm not sure whether my wroting is getting better or the graders are doing it on purpose... you know.. to make me feel like TPR is worth the $$$$$$$

I'm in total agreement with you on WS Evo. I made a Q last August. If any interviewer asks about my April '04 WS, I'll just refer them back to the previous score and mention focusing on the important sections this time around.

Last years studying constituted 2 practice topics and 30 minute written efforts combined with reading the past topics list. This year, maybe I'll reread the topic list.

I can't believe what they expect from us is so predictable.

Formula: "Yes, I agree with ABC statement. Blah, blah, blah. Then again, ABC statement is wrong . . . blah, blah, blah. However, the real answer is . . . blah, blah, regurgitate, puke."

The real issue here is that if you don't meet the GPA and MCAT cut off threshold, you go immediately to the revisit later pile. If we are lucky, schools may give bonus GPA based on difficulty of program (major or school). From what I've heard, some do and some don't.

Members don't see this ad :)
I dont plan on doing anymore than looking at one or two sample questions to get an idea of what to expect.
that's probably all it takes. seriously, people, do you think that our essays are being graded by shakespeare and hawthorne? they're just thrown into a big pile, and retired grade-school english teachers read them in approximately 7.56 seconds. they have a roulette wheel with all the letter grades, which they spin as they furiously cram more free graham crackers and velveeta cheese into their gaping maws (you didn't think the AAMC paid them in money, did you?).

whatever letter they get from the wheel is what they stamp your paper with. after that, they continue to gorge and gamble our futures. true story.

Originally posted by superdevil
that's probably all it takes. seriously, people, do you think that our essays are being graded by shakespeare and hawthorne? they're just thrown into a big pile, and retired grade-school english teachers read them in approximately 7.56 seconds. they have a roulette wheel with all the letter grades, which they spin as they furiously cram more free graham crackers and velveeta cheese into their gaping maws (you didn't think the AAMC paid them in money, did you?).

whatever letter they get from the wheel is what they stamp your paper with. after that, they continue to gorge and gamble our futures. true story.

Yeah don't worry about it. My essay was full of ramblings and generally the organization was poor. IMHO, they don't dock that many points off if you write a so-so paper.

i don't really bother practicing it. i do write the essays during my practice tests (some people don't even bother coming back until the bio section starts) but the most i've ever spent on one was 15 minutes (and i usually spend about 10 mins on each).
kaplan only grades two of our essays (2nd and 4th tests). i haven't taken the 4th yet and haven't gotten the 2nd one back either, so i have no idea how i'm doing. i'm doing pretty good on the verbal so i'm not going to worry about the WS.
and for what it's worth, when the dean of admission at UCSF came to talk at my school he said that the WS doesn't play any role for them.

Originally posted by CH3CH2OH

and for what it's worth, when the dean of admission at UCSF came to talk at my school he said that the WS doesn't play any role for them.

Sweet, my poor L feels better.

Originally posted by Pinkertinkle
Sweet, my poor L feels better.
not that i know if that's true for other schools, and i don't have alot of hope regarding UCSF :laugh:

I just tried to write about some stuff I could relate to, and that made for more cohesive essays. I didn't finish my second essay, but they still gave me an R. Practicing the writing section is a complete waste of time if you're not yet in the teens on vr, bs, or ps. I take that back, maybe practice one or two to get a feel for it, but not much more than that.

I took TPR last year and we spent a great deal of time on the WS and they made it seem like a big deal. I did well on it last year and am spending a total of about one hour on it this year. I agree that focus on the other sections is most important. I'll probably review the TPR formula and write the essays for my last practice test.

Just do exactly what they say in the order they say it...

Originally posted by dfleis
I have been studying intently for the writing sample. I plan to represent. I have read everything from Voltaire and Shakespeare to Freud and Marx. I put in approximately 8 hours per day studying writing sample. I don't really care much about the Physical Sciences and Biological Sciences. I bought a book by Kaplan called MCAT T .. it's the sister book to MCAT 45.

Time to rock.
:laugh: