Bluebook neurology rotation

Started by fssca20
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

fssca20

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm looking for a little insight here. About me, I'm a 3rd year at one of the big 4 Carib schools and interested in neurology. High 230s step 1, top 20-25% preclinical grades, and no red flags (other than IMG of course) if that makes a difference..

Anyway, my question is that if doing a "bluebook" vs. a greenbook neurology rotation would hurt me. Neurology is considered an elective at my school and it is hard to find a good acgme accredited site. In the location I am right now, I've heard the neuro rotation is very good. You spend a lot of 1 on 1 time with the attending who likes to teach and gives a fair amount of autonomy with patients. I feel like I could probably get a good letter from this person. I could probably find a greenbook site somewhere, but obviously it would be a major inconvenience to move somewhere for such a short period of time. Also, there's the dilemma that I already know that this bluebook site would be a good experience, and I don't know much about the other sites.

I'd be very interested to hear any opinions on this. I've spoken with my advisors about this, but sometimes I feel I don't always get a straight answer from them. What would you do in this situation? Could doing a bluebook rotation in a field I'm looking to match into hurt my chances, even if it is a "good" rotation?

Thanks!
 
i did my neuro rotation in a county hospital (in my hometown) with no academic affiliation
when i got to residency, i found out no one knew what a green/blue-book hospital was outside of IMGs