Blueprints series?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

energy_girl

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey, what do you all think about the Blueprints series for rotations and shelf exams? The books seem easy to read, but are they comprehensive enough? If not, what (relatively short!) book would you recommend?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I found blueprints to be more or less inadequate, especially in Medicine and Pediatrics (gave the series up after Peds). OB-GYN wasn't too bad.

For medicine I would read NMS (seriously), read a larger reference text (Cecil, Harrison) for the bread and butter stuff (like chest pain, diabetes, pneumonia) - which is what Shelf Exam focuses on - and find a practice question book.

Good Luck

I really liked the Blueprint series for OB and Psych...not very helpful in FP, Surg and Med though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,

I liked Blueprints for Medicine, Ob-gyn, and Peds so far (my shelf is on Thurs). I always supplement with question books like NMS, Pretest, and MKSAP (for medicine). Sometimes Blueprints doesn't seem 100% complete, but the way I learn I would never get through NMS and I'd rather try and know most of a shorter book then get overwhelmed in details from a longer book. But that's just me.

:) kem

Originally posted by kem
Hi,

I liked Blueprints for Medicine, Ob-gyn, and Peds so far (my shelf is on Thurs). I always supplement with question books like NMS, Pretest, and MKSAP (for medicine). Sometimes Blueprints doesn't seem 100% complete, but the way I learn I would never get through NMS and I'd rather try and know most of a shorter book then get overwhelmed in details from a longer book. But that's just me.

:) kem

I agree. I think that you just have to know how to use the blueprint series. It's not meant to be a reference for the wards or as something that will give you all the answers if you have it open while taking the shelves. It's just meant to be an easy read that gives you a basic background on all subjects in the specialty for test-taking purposes. Ultimately, you still must rely on question books like pre-test and reading up on your patients and diseases in texts like Current Medical Diagnosis or NMS for Surgery for the specific knowledge that is necessary for the shelves.

I agree that Blueprints is meant to be used as an overview.

Although I must say that for OBGYN and Pediatrics I used Blueprints exclusively and totally rocked both shelf exams. I guess the series is better for certain subjects.

I used it as a supplement for FP (with the Swanson's)...don't know how I did yet since I just took the exam yesterday.

Can't comment on Psych or Surgery since I didn't use Blueprint's at all.

i would not recommend BP as your sole source for any of the core rotations. that being said, it is fine as a supplement for those that like its style. the consenses seems to be that the ob and peds books seem to be the best in the series. surgery is not supposed to be very good. i have heard mixed reviews from psych and med.

peter