BME Major at Georgia Tech, low sGPA and cGPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FateChanger

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey this is my 1st post. I'm a sophomore at Georgia Tech in Biomedical Engineering. Currently my gpa is a 3.17 and my sGPA is a 2.85. We don't have B-,B+,etc and I've gotten 7B's and 1 C. (I'm getting better at studying and all now though). I've gotten B's in chem 2,bio 1, orgo 1, physics 1, cal 1, cal 2, and diff eq. I got a C my first sem in chem 1. (So far I have taken 8 until now.) I still have about 11-14 classes that I can count towards my BCPM gpa. I've estimated my graduating gpa to be 3.3ish (Assuming 40% A's and 60%Bs) . With a 3.15-2ish sGPA, and a 3.3-3.4 cGPA. What are my chances of getting into Medical College of Georgia? In Mercer? What is the minimum MCAT score you guys think I need in the two diff cases? I still have 60% of my credits left for my major and am determined. Really would like to hear some good news, but be honest please.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey this is my 1st post. I'm a sophomore at Georgia Tech in Biomedical Engineering. Currently my gpa is a 3.17 and my sGPA is a 2.85. We don't have B-,B+,etc and I've gotten 7B's and 1 C. (I'm getting better at studying and all now though). I've gotten B's in chem 2,bio 1, orgo 1, physics 1, cal 1, cal 2, and diff eq. I got a C my first sem in chem 1. (So far I have taken 8 until now.) I still have about 11-14 classes that I can count towards my BCPM gpa. I've estimated my graduating gpa to be 3.3ish (Assuming 40% A's and 60%Bs) . With a 3.15-2ish sGPA, and a 3.3-3.4 cGPA. What are my chances of getting into Medical College of Georgia? In Mercer? What is the minimum MCAT score you guys think I need in the two diff cases? I still have 60% of my credits left for my major and am determined. Really would like to hear some good news, but be honest please.

With a 3.3 or 3.4 you are probably looking at a DO school. Unless you score a 35+ on the mcat which will give you a shot at an MD acceptance at a mid or low tier school.

with mercer I think you can score 33 and still be competitive. If I recall correctly, Mercer only takes Georgia residents, so you should have decent shot still.

DO will probably be your best route at this point unless you can pull a miraculous performance before admission cycle.

Members don't see this ad :)
Honestly, gambling on anything with less than a LizzyM score of 65 seems dangerous. Shoot for DO schools if you want to go straight from undergrad to grad school. Otherwise, work on improving your app starting now.

Get 33+ and I think you're fine since you are from georgia tech.

You have a shot at Mercer if you ace the rest of your classes, have good EC's, and get an MCAT in the mid 30's or above.

You don't have much of a shot anywhere else unless you can severely improve your GPA. This probably means a post bacc if the estimates you gave are the highest you can raise your GPA by the time you graduate.

The other school you mentioned has stats on par with national averages, and since they pretty much only accept Georgia applicants there is no leeway for you as a resident. In other words, the entering class is almost entirely Georgia residents, so the posted GPA and MCAT averages are those expected of Georgia residents.

http://www.georgiahealth.edu/medicine/admit/Fact sheet 2011.pdf