Board ABIM eligibility

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ID1981

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone

I would appreciate help with something noticed while registering for ABIM. I'm a PGY3 IM resident finishing up residency in the next 6 months. The ABIM website states the following during registration

Graduates of international medical schools must possess one of the following:

1. A standard certificate from the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG) without expired examination dates;
My ECFMG certificate was obtained in 2011 however my Step 2 CS dates back to 2007. Does this mean I cannot register for the ABIM? I don't know anyone else who had encountered a similar scenario which made me post this here instead. Appreciate your input.

Members don't see this ad.

I did some more reading and apparently this refers to an expired USMLE exam if someone didn't take them all within 7 years. I took them all in 4-5 years which probably means I'm safe. In any case i'll call ABIM tomorrow and confirm.

I did some more reading and apparently this refers to an expired USMLE exam if someone didn't take them all within 7 years. I took them all in 4-5 years which probably means I'm safe. In any case i'll call ABIM tomorrow and confirm.

You found your answer. No need to call, you are fine. You seal the deal when you pass step 3( within 7 years of the first exam).