Board Certification in Psychiatry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I agree. I started studying months ago and was told by my program (attendings and residents), that "Beat the Boards is all you will ever need." I did the Q bank multiple times thinking I would be golden for the test. Big error.

In retrospect I would have utilized K&S first and done a better Qbank.

To give you some perspective, I'm pretty spotty on the different scales, PHQ, HAM-D, BPRS etc. BTB did not cover this at all.

when you say K&S, you mean kenny+spiegel question book right? not kaplan saddock?

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone has any good test taking tool/strategy that they don't mind sharing for multiple choice exams? Here are mine when I get stuck on a question:

1) look for patterns, and pick the least or most answer in the pattern
2) pick the longest answer (because exam writers typically use lots of words to get the point across)
3) C is not always the best answer choice, mostly B or D

I choose the answer that's not like the others. Or I choose the answer that looks most familiar to me.

I run into situations where I think choices A-C are probably wrong but not sure, but I don't recognize the medication in choice D.

how much time is everyone taking off from study/work before walking into the exam? I'm taking 1.5 days off to refill on neurotransmitters.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm really sucking with memorizing things at this stage. I really wish there was a practice assessment like NBME does that would let me take it during a simulated condition to give me an idea if I would pass.

Try
I'm really sucking with memorizing things at this stage. I really wish there was a practice assessment like NBME does that would let me take it during a simulated condition to give me an idea if I would pass.

Try doing the 2018 prite test if you have it.I did it and scored 61percent .I wonder how prite correlated with the actual exam .Any comment pls

Try

Try doing the 2018 prite test if you have it.I did it and scored 61percent .I wonder how prite correlated with the actual exam .Any comment pls
I've always heard from attendings not to worry about the PRITEs as they do not correlate with the actual questions on the boards. It's probably just an indicator of how good you are of a test taker in general.

Yeah, I heard don't look at PRITES from some of my former seniors who passed. PRITES are not indicative or bear any resemblance to the board from what they told me.

Anyone have any mnemonics they care to share? my brain feels like mush.

hey,
I have an ethics question. Say you are faced with a subpoena, you are required to furnish medical records and confidentiality is not maintained in that instance. However, you also have to adhere to Privelege which means that conversations you had with the patient are confidential (i.e. if its not in the chart) and you cannot be questioned about them?

I was a bit confused as I was going through Spiegel.

Thanks
I believe the right answer is your regular notes have to be turned over but therapy notee are protected

Good luck to everyone taking the boards this year. Most people pass their 1st try. I passed my 3rd. BTB and Kenney and Spiegel were my main sources but I did as many practice questions as I could. Use DSM 5 not IV. I was "positive " I failed last year. I felt awful after, but I passed with plenty of room to spare. It's a bs exam, but you've passed other vs exams. As far as the Oasis conference by the same company that does BTB, I know someone who went last year and said it was great. I'm going. Again, good luck

Good luck to everyone taking the boards this year. Most people pass their 1st try. I passed my 3rd. BTB and Kenney and Spiegel were my main sources but I did as many practice questions as I could. Use DSM 5 not IV. I was "positive " I failed last year. I felt awful after, but I passed with plenty of room to spare. It's a bs exam, but you've passed other vs exams. As far as the Oasis conference by the same company that does BTB, I know someone who went last year and said it was great. I'm going. Again, good luck

Thanks for the feedback: is the board close the PRITE exam questions? Can you view the video vignettes more than one time, does it allow to replay?

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't have the mental energy to study any more. I think I will just have to pass on Neuro. I honestly don't even think I can force myself to memorize Eriksons stages at this stage.

Honestly, I don't care if I pass at this stage. I just want to take the damn thing and be done with it. I can still work without it.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks for the feedback: is the board close the PRITE exam questions? Can you view the video vignettes more than one time, does it allow to replay?
Not like the PRITE when I took it

just a question for everyone out of curiosity. If a patient in a hospital agrees to treatment offered, but the patient likely doesn't understand the risk/benefits or some other component necessary for capacity, has anyone seen physicians incapacitate a patient who was cooperative with treatment? haha

Yes, in both psych and medical settings

Not like the PRITE when I took it

thats what we have been told during our residency not to worry about PRITE because it does not correlate with the real exam. Its unfortunate we don't have any qbank or testing that can help us show how prepared we are for the real exam compared to other specialties like IM and FM.

Futuredo32 would you say you had enough time for each block or felt like you were rushing through towards the end? thanks

Does the exam screen have a timer. How does one manage time during the exam?

thats what we have been told during our residency not to worry about PRITE because it does not correlate with the real exam. Its unfortunate we don't have any qbank or testing that can help us show how prepared we are for the real exam compared to other specialties like IM and FM.

Futuredo32 would you say you had enough time for each block or felt like you were rushing through towards the end? thanks
I am a fast test taker because I have anxiety so I'm not the best to ask but I don't remember running low on time. A few vignettes I watched or read a few times and still couldn't pick an answer and just told myself to move on because I could have spent hours and still not known. I have GAD and took every break allowed. And yes there's a timer.

I am a fast test taker because I have anxiety so I'm not the best to ask but I don't remember running low on time. A few vignettes I watched or read a few times and still couldn't pick an answer and just told myself to move on because I could have spent hours and still not known. I have GAD and took every break allowed. And yes there's a timer.

thanks, I feel like I am the same as well, get very anxious with testing

Splendid. My little one has been running a fever since last night and haven't had a chance to sit down to study until now. I think I will have to do my best! Good luck ya'll!

I agree. I started studying months ago and was told by my program (attendings and residents), that "Beat the Boards is all you will ever need." I did the Q bank multiple times thinking I would be golden for the test. Big error.

In retrospect I would have utilized K&S first and done a better Qbank.

To give you some perspective, I'm pretty spotty on the different scales, PHQ, HAM-D, BPRS etc. BTB did not cover this at all.
It's in the BTB vaults

We're done! Now we play the waiting game...

We're done! Now we play the waiting game...

That part is going to drive me mad :p 10-12 weeks feels like an eternity. The exam didn't feel terrible but I never feel totally secure after these things.

same here did not feel totally certain with a lot of answers especially with the vignettes

That part is going to drive me mad :p 10-12 weeks feels like an eternity. The exam didn't feel terrible but I never feel totally secure after these things.

I took every last minute of the exam. I paid for 9.5 hours, and I'm going to use all 9.5 hours.

time to get back on my exercise routine because studying these 3 months has made me a fat ****

Test was tough, lots of questions I had no clue how to answers. As well as a lot of brain farts from the marathon brain exercise that happens with a test like this...kinda a brutal exam

I agree regarding the length of the exam. I feel like in the last half I made a few mistakes on the vignettes (which of course you can't correct) more out of fatigue than a true lack of knowledge. Almost wish it was split over two days, but that would also have plenty of downside.

I don’t feel like I passed and I studied pretty hard . So disappointing

I felt the exam questions were very similar to Psychiatry Genius questions. Lots of repeats.

Totally feel like I failed. So unfair we have to wait 10-12 weeks and we can only retake it again next year.

Feel like stand-alone questions were pretty fair but vignettes were so vague....

Reactions: 2 users
That test was tough. K&S and BtB qbank wasn’t enough. And vignettes were tricky and vague as well.

do you guys know how the scoring is done. Is it curved depending on how everyone did?

The psychiatry genius questions or the vignettes?
Mostly questions came from psych genius stand alone bank. I felt that some of them were exact same questions for some reason. Or maybe I was just so used to doing the psych genius questions. who knows.....it was a tough exam

do you guys know how the scoring is done. Is it curved depending on how everyone did?
The score is "scaled" . Almost everyone passes and most feel awful after. Try not to worry, it's done and over and nothing you can do now. It took like 3 months ish for scores last year. Dont waste that time worrying..

That test was tough. K&S and BtB qbank wasn’t enough. And vignettes were tricky and vague as well.

Agreed. It was tough exam esp. those vignettes. I had an impression that they were trying to trick us than testing our clinical knowledge.
And K&S, BtB, Boardvitals, and other qbanks have different views on indications for meds/therapy/etc. for certain disorders. (like antipsychotic vs. mood stabilizer for this and that..) so I was a bit confused as to what to go with.

Last edited:
Agreed. It was tough exam esp. those vignettes. I had an impression that they were trying to trick us than testing our clinical knowledge.
And K&S, BtB, Boardvitals, and other qbanks have different views on indications for meds/therapy/etc. for certain disorders. (like antipsychotic vs. mood stabilizer for this and that..) so I was a bit confused as to what to go with.

agree definitely it was tough exam, felt like it wasn't testing our clinical knowledge.

I felt different than others: I felt the Vignettes did the best testing my clinical knowledge, the "pick 3" bit would get a bit tricky as usually 2 were fairly obvious and the 3rd answer would feel like a "more likely than the others".

I wasn't a huge fan of the stand alone questions, this felt like normal old school Rote memory B.S. that you either learned or didn't learn just for this one test.

The psychiatry genius questions or the vignettes?
Standalone questions. I don’t remember as much of the vignettes but I felt like the psych genius vignettes were easier/more straight forward. A lot of the pick 3 of 6 vignettes on the real exam I felt pretty certain about one or two but rarely I felt good about all 3...

I was pleasantly surprised at how straightforward the neuro questions were (but I guess we’ll see if that’s an accurate assessment lol)

Standalone questions. I don’t remember as much of the vignettes but I felt like the psych genius vignettes were easier/more straight forward. A lot of the pick 3 of 6 vignettes on the real exam I felt pretty certain about one or two but rarely I felt good about all 3...

I was pleasantly surprised at how straightforward the neuro questions were (but I guess we’ll see if that’s an accurate assessment lol)

I thought the standalone questions weren't too bad. I really wish I would have gotten Psych genius now that you mention it. oh welp, if I fail, maybe then.

What's the deal with torturing us for 8-10 weeks? like its just a simple computer exam. I don't recall my MCAT or USMLE taking that frickin long

What's the deal with torturing us for 8-10 weeks? like its just a simple computer exam. I don't recall my MCAT or USMLE taking that frickin long

I just took the child boards, and I am right with you.

I remember taking the GRE back in the day; we're talking AGES ago. It was just being offered electronically. When you finished the questions it would say, "do you want to see your grade?" and if you pushed yes, you immediately got a score that was within plus or minus a certain margin of error. Ever since then I've wondered why it takes medicine months. especially for the money we are paying.

Anyone take the child boards? It's the same price as the general psych exam, but with half the questions. Which I thought would mean double the quality of the questions, but turns out: not so much....

One last thing for you CAP test takers, such as myself: this will not help you in the slightest if you just took it (like me), but could will be helpful to future examinees-

When asked about the cuttoff for the exam and what's passing, here's what they said:

"The ABPN does not have predetermined cut scores or pass rates or the Child and Adolescent Psychiatry Certification exam. Below are the cut scores and pass rates for the last 3 years/administrations.
Cut Score: 68%
Pass rates: First-time takers - 85% / All (including repeaters) - 75%

Cut Score: 71%
Pass rates: First-time takers - 87% / All (including repeaters) - 76%

Cut Score: 75%
Pass rates: First-time takers - 90% / All (including repeaters) - 78%"

I just took the child boards, and I am right with you.

I remember taking the GRE back in the day; we're talking AGES ago. It was just being offered electronically. When you finished the questions it would say, "do you want to see your grade?" and if you pushed yes, you immediately got a score that was within plus or minus a certain margin of error. Ever since then I've wondered why it takes medicine months. especially for the money we are paying.

Anyone take the child boards? It's the same price as the general psych exam, but with half the questions. Which I thought would mean double the quality of the questions, but turns out: not so much....

Did you feel the Child PRITES were useful in helping you prepare?

Did you feel the Child PRITES were useful in helping you prepare?
I thought doing the most recent PRITE was helpful. I did board vitals for my question bank, and beat the boards for the lectures

I felt prepared. But we'll see