Board Certification in Psychiatry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
One last thing for you CAP test takers, such as myself: this will not help you in the slightest if you just took it (like me), but could will be helpful to future examinees-

When asked about the cuttoff for the exam and what's passing, here's what they said:

"The ABPN does not have predetermined cut scores or pass rates or the Child and Adolescent Psychiatry Certification exam. Below are the cut scores and pass rates for the last 3 years/administrations.
Cut Score: 68%
Pass rates: First-time takers - 85% / All (including repeaters) - 75%

Cut Score: 71%
Pass rates: First-time takers - 87% / All (including repeaters) - 76%

Cut Score: 75%
Pass rates: First-time takers - 90% / All (including repeaters) - 78%"
Are these cut off score for general boards? I used to do well on prite between 60-70 percent and always scored above average. Not sure about scoring 75 percent!

Members don't see this ad.

I thought the standalone questions weren't too bad. I really wish I would have gotten Psych genius now that you mention it. oh welp, if I fail, maybe then.

What's the deal with torturing us for 8-10 weeks? like its just a simple computer exam. I don't recall my MCAT or USMLE taking that frickin long

some of the wait time is probably because they test out questions for future years and they need to figure out which ones are badly written and nobody gets them right etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
some of the wait time is probably because they test out questions for future years and they need to figure out which ones are badly written and nobody gets them right etc.

I know its still making me miserable though lol

I'm applying for jobs and I have been asked to provide proof of board eligibility. Do you guys know where I would be able to find this kind of information? is there a certificate I get from ABPN?

Is there a certificate I get of some sort? I fast tracked and I have my certificate of residency completion but thats about it.

If you've finished 4 years of training to the satisfaction of your program, and you go to a place that is listed by the ACGME as being accredited, then that certificate is all you need. I used it for jobs in the past before I was board certified.

Reactions: 1 user
Did any one receive the email from the ABPN about results will occur no later than dec 13rd? Does any one know the percentage required to pass based on previous exams?

Did any one receive the email from the ABPN about results will occur no later than dec 13rd? Does any one know the percentage required to pass based on previous exams?
It varies each year. It's a scaled score.

Do you know for last year, how much was it?
They never tell you as far as I know. It's a BS exam IMO. They have about a 90% ish pass rate yearly. Easier said than done but try not to worry. It's done. You will get a score. You passed? Awesome. You failed? Either retake next year or do private practice cash only. I took it 3x and the first time I was the most confident I passed the 3rd time I strongly thought I failed and I passed with a decent margin. It's a nice way for the ABPN to make money.

Last year the pass rate was 87% for first time test takers and for everyone who took it last year (first time and repeat takers) the combined pass rate was 73%. This is according to the annual report and five-year summary put out every year by the ABPN. That is the lowest pass rate in recent years and possibly ever depending on how long they’ve been tracking these numbers.

Members don't see this ad :)
Last year the pass rate was 87% for first time test takers and for everyone who took it last year (first time and repeat takers) the combined pass rate was 73%. This is according to the annual report and five-year summary put out every year by the ABPN. That is the lowest pass rate in recent years and possibly ever depending on how long they’ve been tracking these numbers.
Wow and that was the year I passed

Wow and that was the year I passed

That was the first year I took it (first year I was eligible to take it), I didn’t do a whole lot more than some practice questions... really underestimated the exam. This year I did BTB several times and lots of practice questions and I still don’t feel great about it. But in my heart of hearts I know there’s nothing else I could have down to be more prepared or ready for it. The waiting and not knowing is the hardest part for me. The next 6 weeks are going to be torture.

That was the first year I took it (first year I was eligible to take it), I didn’t do a whole lot more than some practice questions... really underestimated the exam. This year I did BTB several times and lots of practice questions and I still don’t feel great about it. But in my heart of hearts I know there’s nothing else I could have down to be more prepared or ready for it. The waiting and not knowing is the hardest part for me. The next 6 weeks are going to be torture.

*done

Im presuming you already have a job right? Why are you worried? You can still find work whether you’re BC or BE. You won’t starve.

I could have written this twice. I did GREAT on 3 of 4 Prites, (I Was super sick for one of them and just wanted to be done). So, I really didn't study much for the first one, I was really over confident and sure I would pass. I worried quite a bit and failed. I studied a lot more the second time and worried and failed. I studied even more for the third one to the point I was pretty much just working a day a week for the two months prior and worked very little the two months prior to that. I can actually recall some of the questions from Kenny and Spiegel word for word for some questions. I did BTB, I went to a prep class in NY , I did loads of questions, I lived in a hotel for the month prior so I would have zero distractions. And again, I worried. But much to my surprise I did pass the third time. I look back and realize how much I worried and it changed nothing. My big concern was that I didn't take it the year I graduated and I didn't want to have to repeat the oral board part. It is probably better to be BC because who knows where medicine is going, but you can always retake it next year if needed. To be honest as much as I studied and did practice questions and as much as you did , you can never study enough for an exam like that. I know great psychiatrists who never passed and I know horrible psychiatrists who did pass. There are a few jobs out there if you never pass and move beyond the 5 year grace period or you can always do private practice and take cash. I think with the uncertainty of the future of medicine it's safer to retake it next year if you did fail. Maybe study for your own knowledge and just in case instead of spending all of that time worrying. In hindsight I wish I would have done that. I know the agony of waiting and worrying, but you can still currently work.

I do have a great job however I would be lying if I said I don’t feel any pressure by them to become board certified sooner rather than later. I guess I’m just a worrier by nature. I would put my odds of passing at 60-40.

I do have a great job however I would be lying if I said I don’t feel any pressure by them to become board certified sooner rather than later. I guess I’m just a worrier by nature. I would put my odds of passing at 60-40.

You could get certified through NBPAS, no?

I hate hearing things like this that your job is pressurizing you to be board certified. ABPN is definitely exploiting us.

You could get certified through NBPAS, no?

I hate hearing things like this that your job is pressurizing you to be board certified. ABPN is definitely exploiting us.

According to their website you have to have initial certification through an ABMS or AOA member board, which in our case would be the ABPN. Not sure what the point would be to get certified through them if someone already had certification through the ABPN... lol. Just another “Board” trying to make a quick buck.

Not gonna lie. The anxiety about possibly failing this is starting to creep up. I'm trying to apply for jobs and I'm terrified that if I fail the test it would ruin my career propsects out of fellowship (I think that's my OCD talking). But more importantly, I'm worried about the embarrassment I would have at my program for being the one fellow who failed.

Gosh, I just want to know already so I can know if I have to re-study and rearrange my life again till the end of fellowship in June. lol

Not gonna lie. The anxiety about possibly failing this is starting to creep up. I'm trying to apply for jobs and I'm terrified that if I fail the test it would ruin my career propsects out of fellowship (I think that's my OCD talking). But more importantly, I'm worried about the embarrassment I would have at my program for being the one fellow who failed.

Gosh, I just want to know already so I can know if I have to re-study and rearrange my life again till the end of fellowship in June. lol
I recall the feeling well. How long is your fellowship? Most but not all jobs want you BC or BE 3-5 years after graduation. They usually ask if you took the exam and passed and if you say failed , they usually ask if you are planning to retake it. I have never had a prestigious position, but I have had some decent jobs even when I wasn't BC.

I recall the feeling well. How long is your fellowship? Most but not all jobs want you BC or BE 3-5 years after graduation. They usually ask if you took the exam and passed and if you say failed , they usually ask if you are planning to retake it. I have never had a prestigious position, but I have had some decent jobs even when I wasn't BC.

I have about 7 more months to go to finish my C&A fellowship. Finishing in June. I am looking into correctional facility type jobs. It's going to be a bit of a shock to my ego if I don't pass but we will see.

I have about 7 more months to go to finish my C&A fellowship. Finishing in June. I am looking into correctional facility type jobs. It's going to be a bit of a shock to my ego if I don't pass but we will see.
I think you will be fine if you are looking at prison work. Those jobs in my area are always hiring. Your ego will survive, I promise. At first I was elated when I passed, and now, I am just like meh , whatever.

I think you will be fine if you are looking at prison work. Those jobs in my area are always hiring. Your ego will survive, I promise. At first I was elated when I passed, and now, I am just like meh , whatever.

Thanks, yeah. I think my ego will be ok though it will be embarassing for me to go face my colleagues and other residents/faculty in my program. We don't have a lot of camaraderie in my program.

Thanks, yeah. I think my ego will be ok though it will be embarassing for me to go face my colleagues and other residents/faculty in my program. We don't have a lot of camaraderie in my program.
You don't have to tell them.

I don't want to but unfortunately its a well known secret that you can check a persons status (i.e. whether they are certified on VerifyCert via ABPN).
I know employers and administrators can, but fellow residents? I'm sorry you aren't in a kinder program. I've posted many times that my 2nd program was awful but the residents were very supportive of each other . Hopefully you passed. If not and they treat you poorly, it says more about them than you.

I know employers and administrators can, but fellow residents? I'm sorry you aren't in a kinder program. I've posted many times that my 2nd program was awful but the residents were very supportive of each other . Hopefully you passed. If not and they treat you poorly, it says more about them than you.

It's very easy to go on VerifyCert to see if someone is certified or not. Thanks, yes it's very sad that I'm in a program where its viewed positively to put down your colleagues.

Reactions: 1 users
last year results came out exactly 12 weeks after the last day of the testing period, they usually take 10-12 weeks, that's what they say anyways on their website and that's the message I got on the computer screen after finishing the exam. I know from people who have taken it in the past, there is great variability in this- one year it came out exactly 10 weeks after the exam and another year it was 11 weeks. Anyways, we don't have long to wait now, it's been exactly 9 weeks today.

the testing period for the initial certification exam was September 16-17 this year

Given that next week is Thanksgiving, I think it would be fair to say that it would be the following week (12/2) that we would find out.

Whatever happens, I know at the end of the day, it's just a silly test and it doesn't say anything about my ability to treat patients.

Welp, any day now. If anyone gets their board scores back, could you give the rest of us online a holla so we know it's coming. Thanks. This is driving me crazy.

The child psychiatry board results now say "pending release of grades" which is a change from yesterday.

> i called ABPN and they said we will get email that the results have been sent and only Day after we can go on lineto see if we passed

This was different for me; back in 2017 I got a text from a friend saying congrats, that I had passed (she checked on the ABPN cert system which is a public database), and I only got the email notifying me that I passed about a day or two later. Really annoying that they keep switching things around

Gosh all this talk about the board results has gotten me checking folios like a maniac! hahah.

Child intial certification results were just released at 0830 EST; grade reports aren't up on folios, but it says whether or not you passed

and I passed!!!!

for future child test takers who are neurotic like me, here's the history of child board results:
When ABPN Child Initial Board Results were released
2019- December 4th at 0630
2018- The week before thanksgiving
2017- A few days after thanksgiving. Adult released Dec 19th at 1000 AM EST.
2016- November 30th
2015- December 12th (same day adult board results were released)
2014- November 20th for child, December 10th for adult.

Reactions: 2 users
I think its been Mondays or Tuesdays the last 3 years and its really early in the morning.

Child intial certification results were just released at 0830 EST; grade reports aren't up on folios, but it says whether or not you passed

and I passed!!!!

for future child test takers who are neurotic like me, here's the history of child board results:
2016- November 30th
Congratulations

Congratulations!! Now if only the adult boards would follow suit!

and I passed!!!!

2016- November 30th

So happy for the child folks who got the results. It's been an exercise in distress tolerance waiting for my adult boards over here... really hoping it's this week but I have my doubts.

Website is under maintenance right now .... hopefully when it’s back up? lol

Nope, still nothing. It's probably going to be next week before the adult board results are up.
Deadline is next Friday (13th) right?

Can anyone who is waiting for the adult boards tell what happens in folios if you try to apply for another exam? I am getting an error message that "The resource cannot be found."

My neurotic self already went through the earlier pages of this thread; the ability to apply for another exam doesn't seem to mean anything. A few years ago somebody noted they were able to apply for a specialty exam and then later found he out didn't pass :(

As far as your question, I've had an error page pop up for at least a few weeks now if I try to apply for another exam.