Board Certification in Psychiatry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Would anyone be able to give advice on what to tell your current employer that you failed the exam? (they will ask)

Is it also best to stop working and take some time off to study for this exam? especially if you have failed it more than once?

My biggest anxiety at this point of time is not having to retake the exam again but dealing with my current employer (thought they have been supportive in the past). Is it best to quit the job and take time off to study for the boards and then restart a job once the exam is over? Anyone have any recommendations on part time jobs while studying for this exam? Thank you in advance.

I echo everything FutureDO says...

The real question is, does your employer require you to be BC? Currently Psych is in demand enough most jobs are fine with BE though depending on your job you may be missing out on a small pay bump or that prestigious "Assistant Professor" title :rolleyes:. From what I understand and have looked up one can remain BE your whole career as long as you're willing to continue CME and pay to extend BE when your initial eligibility has ended.

Members don't see this ad.

I echo everything FutureDO says...

The real question is, does your employer require you to be BC? Currently Psych is in demand enough most jobs are fine with BE though depending on your job you may be missing out on a small pay bump or that prestigious "Assistant Professor" title :rolleyes:. From what I understand and have looked up one can remain BE your whole career as long as you're willing to continue CME and pay to extend BE when your initial eligibility has ended.
I have unfortunately found the opposite. I live in Michigan, so things may be different. All of the positions I have ever been offered have been BC or BE in 5 years. My psychiatrist is having issues. He works in a clinic and takes a 70/30 split. Many insurance companies wont let him take insurance even under the medical director who is BC. Potentially, you could do cash only. My concern is that if we turn into Canada, physicians in Canada have to use insurance to see patients and are not allowed to take cash. Despite the fact that psych is in demand, the recruiters I have talked to said if I weren't BC (the BE eligible window of 5 years shrunk to 3 years for a lot of positions) they could maybe find me a low paying job in nowheresville USA. I'm slated to work 4 jobs - 1 full time three part time and except for my micro private practice which I will likely end because it's not going to make enough to even break even with all of these other jobs, all 3 positions required BC or BE within 3 years and one of my jobs is for addictions in a very undesirable location. A lot of psychiatrists are doing cash only, but the future of medicine really scares me. Hell, NPs could replace us all. Most patients are clueless about the education and training NPs get. My former employer said he'd keep me forever if I never passed, but then I look at my psychiatrist who is so limited as to the insurances he can take even under a BC psychiatrist. It's not "fair" I am DYING to do FP or IM. My pcp did an intern year years ago and passed the FP board exam and he's an FP. He didn't even do a FP residency and so many psychiatrists got grandfathered into all the specialties and neve have to retake the boards or do anything but CMEs.

How long can you be BE for? I thought it was seven years after you graduated?

Members don't see this ad :)
BE isn't a term "recognized" by the ABPN. In order to not have to take the oral boards again you have to pass it within 5 years of graduation. For most jobs and insurances in Mich (other than Medicare and Blue Cross, possibly Medicaid) it's 3 or 5 years

How long can you be BE for? I thought it was seven years after you graduated?

You have 7 years from when you complete your residency, if by then it doesn't happen you can refer to this

"Individuals who do not become certified during the seven-year period will be required to (1) repeat the required clinical skills evaluations; and (2) complete one stage of MOC (90 CME credits, 24 self-assessment CME credits, and one PIP Unit that includes a clinical module or feedback module) in order to be credentialed to take the ABPN Certification Examination."

So basically do three CSVs by someone that is board certified (not "oral boards") and do some CME and then you become "board eligible again"

While ABPN doesn't "recognize" Board Eligible as a "term". They recognize you are only eligible for your boards through certain stipulations. Leave it to psychiatrists to be vague AF and give no definitive answer. Regardless of ABPN stance, insurance companies (aka the real world) does recognize the term "Board Eligible".

I do not live in Michigan so I'm really surprised Future DO has had so many issues with jobs wanting BE 3-5 years. I have no desire to live in a large city (honestly the city I live in now is too large for my taste at ~500k) so this may be the difference. I have not heard of insurance companies require BC by a certain time period nor do any jobs you go and look at mention BC differentiating from BE let alone giving some arbitrary time frame they see fit. I'd love to see something in writing saying otherwise regarding insurance, that sounds completely inaccurate. These are usually academic or bigger hospitals setting these silly rules and if they can be that picky, good for them, most places can't or if you go to private practice these rules rarely ever exist.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
So basically do three CSVs by someone that is board certified (not "oral boards") and do some CME and then you become "board eligible again"
Not that simple, you have to go back to a residency program or find a recognized program (often with exorbitant fees) to do the CSVs again.

Not that simple, you have to go back to a residency program or find a recognized program (often with exorbitant fees) to do the CSVs again.

I tried to find this a couldn't do you have a reference? All I could find is doing a CSV after residency only referring to graduates prior to June 2008. I can't seem to find anything written either way (to defend your position or mine) of how you go about getting a CSV done if you graduated after 2008 and you need to re-up your your eligibility.

Based in rural Colorado, the company I work at (community psych) requires board certification within 5 years of graduation. No need to be board certified in child

In Philadelphia my jobs had similar requirements. Usually between 3-5 years to get certified

I just spoke to the credentialing people at my job, and they said the push for BC has to do with various insurance panels. Specifically in my area blue cross pays a higher premium for it. Also, my employer likes advertising 'all physicians are board certified'

The point is, everyone should aim for BC as quickly as possible to keep your options open

Reactions: 1 users
Hey, I am trying to find a good source(s) for the boards. BTB appears to be overly priced to me. I was thinking of using Speigel + Kenny, along with Psych Genius. For reference, my PRITE scores are above national average on Psych and Neuroscience. Need help apparently in Clinical Neurology. Thanks!

Hey, I am trying to find a good source(s) for the boards. BTB appears to be overly priced to me. I was thinking of using Speigel + Kenny, along with Psych Genius. For reference, my PRITE scores are above national average on Psych and Neuroscience. Need help apparently in Clinical Neurology. Thanks!

beat the boards is overpriced. They actually refunded me because their qbank was not functioning properly in the days leading to my exam.

I think you should be good with KS and Psych Genius..... for neuro I’d look over the relevant neuro stuff in Kaufman’s.

beat the boards is overpriced. They actually refunded me because their qbank was not functioning properly in the days leading to my exam.

I think you should be good with KS and Psych Genius..... for neuro I’d look over the relevant neuro stuff in Kaufman’s.

Thank you. I am just looking into all this. But, I see Psych Genius has questions and vignettes. Are both necessary are the questions good enough?

Thank you. I am just looking into all this. But, I see Psych Genius has questions and vignettes. Are both necessary are the questions good enough?

I got both but I felt like the vignettes were more helpful than the questions. Did all the vignettes and only did maybe 30-40% of the questions. Doing the Kenny & Spiegel book will cover the majority of the clinical neurology you'll need for the exam - just be sure to read through the answer explanations.

Members don't see this ad :)
Cross posted!
I finished 3 years of my adult psychiatry residency in another state and then fast tracked into a child psychiatry fellowship. Abpn just contacted me that I only have 11 months of continuous outpatient experience but the requirement is 12 months. I spoke to my old coordinator who confirmed that all pgy 3 residents have 11 months of continuous outpatient experience and 1 month of ER. Coordinator stated that any remaining requirements were to be completed as a pgy 4, however my cap program only has our outpatient experience for pgy 5. My previous pg director is out of town....Is there anything that can be done. I feel blindsided and a little shocked over the whole situation. Appreciate any thoughts you may have!

Wow, I'm sorry you're going through that. I was concerned I hadn't met the requirements as well but ABPN cleared me. You need to contact your PD the second he or she returns and see if anything can be done. I don't know why your residency sticks ER in PGY 3 year. That's crazy.

Does anyone think the ABPN board exams will still take place in September? They should just make the test like IM does for its recertification. All this COVID stuff has heightened my own anxiety to where I can't study.

For the Child Psychiatry board, does the ABPN have a Blueprint with the specific high yield topics and percentages? I loved how they did that for adults.

Does anyone have old Kaufman notes from the 2019 or 2018 course for adult boards?

Just got the new K&S. Have only looked at first exam but looks basically the same.
Have you had a chance to take a look at the rest of the book? Are all the questions the same as the 3rd edition? Thanks!

Does anyone think the ABPN board exams will still take place in September? They should just make the test like IM does for its recertification. All this COVID stuff has heightened my own anxiety to where I can't study.

May 13, 2020

Announcement for Candidates for September and October 2020 Specialty and Subspecialty Initial Certification Exams

Currently, the ABPN does not plan to make any changes to the Fall Exam Schedule. By early July, the ABPN will reassess the presence of the COVID-19 pandemic and the availability of testing dates at Pearson VUE facilities and make a determination if any changes or adjustments to the schedule need to be made. We will continue to keep you updated through this website and by email.

Thank you for your patience with this evolving situation.

I plan to take the Psychiatry Recertification exam in August-September.

E-mail for ABPN:
"Dear Dr. :
Instructions to schedule your Psychiatry Continuing Certification examination will be sent to you by EMAIL on June 11, 2020.
Scheduling with PearsonVUE will begin on June 16, 2020"

Looking for resources. I took Beat The Boards live course in Chicago in 2013, passed the exam then, and still keep their big printed folder.
I wonder how different it is now, other than reflected DSM 5 changes and if it is worth retaking course. Reading just the first few pages of this thread makes me lean towards just choosing a couple of online sources like Genius and Spiegel/Kenny and skip BTB. No neurology, thanks, God.

What's the lore or literature on how well the PRITE reflects boards performance?

And yep, also taking 9/14. Just bought K+S. If I get through that I'll probably do Psych Genuis. The thought of spending $1000 on BTB is daunting.

What's the lore or literature on how well the PRITE reflects boards performance?

And yep, also taking 9/14. Just bought K+S. If I get through that I'll probably do Psych Genuis. The thought of spending $1000 on BTB is daunting.
a good standardized test taker is a good standardized test taker. I am using those two sources and feel like it is preparing me well compared to others that are using BTB

hey everyone....how's everyone studying for this exam? Is BTB and K&S enough for this exam? Or would you add psych genius or Board Vitals?

Also, does the ABPN provide any type of questions or recommendations? Thanks!

How are you guys managing studying at home with kids? Normally I would go to Starbucks or Library, but everything is closed. It's kinda frustrating.

Read the posts from 2019 and still a little unclear on how much yield I'll get from memorizing stuff like specific genetic syndromes, lobar stroke eponyms, etc. I'm doing OK on the stuff that feels like "actual psychiatry" but not those random neuro/neuroscience questions.

While hard neuro is maybe 6% it looks like neurosci is up to 23%.

Last edited:
Just purchased psych genius. Am I missing an option somewhere to get mixed sets of questions like on UWorld or do I have to do these focused question sets?

Psychiatry Genius does have randomized question banks. Just look for Randomized Question Bank 1, 2, 3, 4... etc. Looks like this is a relatively new feature.

If you're looking to pick how many questions you want from whatever categories you want and launch those in a simulated board exam format for ultimate flexibility, then the better company is Testing Psych. That one is just like UWorld.

Hope that helps.

Psychiatry Genius does have randomized question banks. Just look for Randomized Question Bank 1, 2, 3, 4... etc. Looks like this is a relatively new feature.

If you're looking to pick how many questions you want from whatever categories you want and launch those in a simulated board exam format for ultimate flexibility, then the better company is Testing Psych. That one is just like UWorld.

Hope that helps.
Thanks, I could swear they literally just added those. That or I'm blind.

Reserving judgement but not super impressed with psych genius right now. A couple of questions and explanations that I think were worded opposite the way things work. Some questions where the explanation is in the first person form and is like someone trying to say (unconfidently) why they think the correct answer was the correct answer (as if they weren't the person who wrote the question). Which is very confusing.

Last edited:
Agreed. I may just stick to K+S. I tried Psych Genius but the explanations read like they are written by a medical student free association. I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks this. I don't know if K+S is enough. People say it is "the test," though.

Edit: Some people swear by Psych Genius, too. So I guess each to their own. Passing is the most important thing...heh...

Thanks, I could swear they literally just added those. That or I'm blind.

Reserving judgement but not super impressed with psych genius right now. A couple of questions and explanations that I think were worded opposite the way things work. Some questions where the explanation is in the first person form and is like someone trying to say (unconfidently) why they think the correct answer was the correct answer (as if they weren't the person who wrote the question). Which is very confusing.

I am taking the board exam this September. Only studied Spiegel and Focus Psychiatry, did not want to study BTB due to its price. Also had study materials from my residency program. Do you have any other resources for clinical vignettes? I don't like multi-answer questions. Do you guys know any prep exam for boards like NBME for USMLE?

Good luck to all

Spiegel has clinical vignettes associated with it

Psych Genius, I know you are out there: The information is good. But stop writing "I think" or "I am not sure about" in your explanations. Thanks!

Psych Genius, I know you are out there: The information is good. But stop writing "I think" or "I am not sure about" in your explanations. Thanks!
I emailed them. It's basically what I suspected. Those questions are basically prite questions and so they were trying to find a way to explain the 'right' answer even though it's wrong or not so clear cut.

I would argue this is just lazy question writing and also the prite is supposedly nothing like the boards so why are you putting prite questions in the boards prep?

ABPN changed the test format to have less linked item vignette questions and more stand alone questions. Any thoughts on this?

I emailed them. It's basically what I suspected. Those questions are basically prite questions and so they were trying to find a way to explain the 'right' answer even though it's wrong or not so clear cut.

I would argue this is just lazy question writing and also the prite is supposedly nothing like the boards so why are you putting prite questions in the boards prep?

That explains everything. I see traces of K+S and PRITE all over the question bank. I guess the thing with these type of board exams -- you always have an infinite amount of information one can test. I read accounts who say K+S is the test, and those who say there is no resemblance to the test. I just hope there are more gimme questions than those about Krabbes Disease and Paraphilla.

I also didn't get such an email.

If that news is legit, it doesn't really change my studying, it's just unfortunate because I think, in sum, those might be some of the more fair/gimme question sets.

Maybe they think too many people are going to pass this year...

I got an email titled: "ABPN 2020 Psychiatry Certification Examination Frequently Asked Questions." Do you guys not get that? Or am I missing something? In the email it outlines the exam layout with the number of questions for each section. (Section 1-8).