Board Certification in Psychiatry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If you have test anxiety would you be willing to consider a SSRI/SNRI, at least a short course surrounding the exam? Potentially propranolol to see if it helps and doesn’t cause too much fatigue or brain fog?

Do you have untreated ADHD? Do you need accommodations for extra time for whatever reason? Specific learning or reading issues?

If you’re in fellowship or even outside fellowship, one thing that helped in my training was constantly referencing the online DSM.

Psychiatryonline via institutional access, quickly link to diagnostics. A lot of colleagues I feel don’t know full criteria because they were not constantly referencing the DSM.

I would even reference it directly in a patient encounter if possible and patient was not in direct line of sight, and then ask/elicit symptomatic questions that would fulfill criteria or rule it out.

Too many I think just wing it, using E/M codes and don’t even elicit and thus write in their notes symptoms that would support a diagnosis.

Before and after, read about your patients. Refresh PTSD criteria because there’s a few in the cluster I always forget.

Running into complicated patients should always trigger you to search and read the primary literature in pub med yourself, from reputable journals. Don’t just ask supervisors questions they may not even have the correct answer to. Question what your supervisors tell you, and if you’re uncertain if what they say is evidence based, look up clinical practice guidelines and the primary lit yourself.

And finally for test anxiety, will you put in the effort for therapy? CBT? You’ll shell out 2k+ for multiple Qbanks but not challenge your cognitive distortions during your exam time? There are plenty of opps to practice challenging such cognitive distortions and emotions through practice exams.

What would you tell your patient who is struggling to pass the Bar for law, pharm boards, or X exam? Will you practice what you preach or just hand wave because you’re special?

How’s your health? Do you eat healthy, sleep well, get some cardio?

Do you just try to shotgun memorize everything and not actually critically think about the content, the why?

Like others have said passing doesn’t necessarily mean much about who you are, your identity, or even skill as a psychiatrist. I know some horrible recent grads in terms of clinical acumen who passed the exam.

But in general the most knowledgeable, skilled, and patient centered clinicians I have known have passed without a problem.

The things that do require rote and boring memorization, things like neuro structures, raphe nucleus, LC, etc put into long term storage by using Anki. Take that stuff from the PRITE.

overall though I feel the test is generally moving less in that direction, but it’s just points you don’t want to miss.

5 cents

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Anyone know if our program Director gets our score report or just if we pass or failed? Does information get shared with anyone else?

I am new to this forum, but have found much support from it. Thank you to all who have posted in this thread. It has been an incredible value to help preserve my sanity.

I have test anxiety. A lot. Failed steps one and step two, but passed the second round. Passed step 3.

I finished residency, a child fellowship, and a forensics fellowship. I have practiced in multiple settings and am currently in the C- Suite.

I have avoided the boards for 17 years. I finished adult training in 2006 and didn't take any tests. Why? I see no point. There was nothing suggesting I would be a better doc. Besides, I have really, really bad test anxiety. For what it is worth, no one can convince me this process improves patient outcomes.

Because of work, 17 years following adult training, it was time and necessary to take the boards. I passed the CSVs. (I was supposed to do oral boards, but procrastination...) It was actually fun, as I was able to do this with previous faculty. They were incredibly supportive. And, I passed these with ease. I know how to take care of people.

And then I studied. A lot. Board Vitals. K&S. Kauffman. Probably well over 200 and more hours in reading and questions. I figured they can only ask the same material in so many ways. I did mypsychboards, but hated the format. Regardless, I am old and have been excellent at procrastinating. But I took the time. Despite working 60 hours a week. Despite spending time with family. It was a commitment. Ended up scoring average, which made me happier than a clam.

I suck at tests. I don't remember Prites, but I didn't care. Don't think I did well. Doesn't matter.

For those who did not pass - you are not a bad psychiatrist! Find what works to study. Your value is not in this test! And, you will get there. Have Faith!!!!!! You are more than a silly number that doesn't matter to the people you treat or care about. I practiced for 17 years without this and have made a difference in peoples' lives. You will too... You already are!!!

To those that passed, congrats! I lost too much sleep on this. Next... child boards. Any tips are appreciated. Especially for an old guy like me.

Reach out. I am happy to support anyone that needs it. Even if to say "You can do it!" Because if I can pass, you can too!
Thanks for sharing your journey, it is really encouraging!

I took CAP this year and really felt like I failed, though it should be noted I'm not a strong test taker at all so I have a lot of test anxiety.
This is just my opinion/advice if I had to take it over again, keeping in mind others probably thought the test was a lot easier:

1. Do all the video vignettes you can find (I know BtB has some), they didn't seem as straightforward as on the adult. It was more focused on the specifics of non-pharm treatment.
2. Study the non-clinical aspect of CAP. Meaning the theorists, know all the psychotherapy modalities, know some of the forensics in CAP, and the community/federal programs offered. I felt like CAP was able to ask more in depth questions compared to adult, so it wasn't enough to know CBT as a therapy, you had to know the specific component of CBT that would be useful for the disorder. Also, it wasn't enough to know the components of a community program you had to know specifics as well, such as which component was more important than the rest.
3. Make sure you keep some adult psych knowledge in your head. They asked a few questions I remember studying in adult, but didn't think relevant in CAP so I didn't review them. They were fairly easy, so you don't want to miss them.
4. Neuro: I don't recall any actual neuroanatomy questions. It was similar to adult where you had to know the neuro linked to a specific disorder (i.e. schizophrenia has enlarged ventricles)
5. Pharm: Similar to adult, I don't recall as much straightforward pharm.
6. DSM5: Know this really well, even the really small details.
7. Test: Be mindful of your time! The stand alone questions do go quickly because of the shorter stem, which I felt was helpful (though it means less context clues to narrow down the right answer) because the vignettes took me a good while to finish. They had pretty long stems and the answer choices seemed very specific.

Materials I used: All of BtB (the question explanations had a lot of tables and additional information about programs I didn't know about), Quizlet sets I found from others, flipped through CAP Prite Ninja for tables/psychotherapy/development/pharm, and this forum to get a sense of high yield items.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Unfortunately, i failed the ABPN. Read through some of the posts and really appreciate the suggestions.
For all those who mentioned about a study group, i would be willing to join it too. Can we create one here at SDN? or Skype?

You will Pass, it took me 4 attempts, but I Thank God and This forum that helped me Pass today! In summary from above, Spiegal and know DSM 5TR!! Of course I did BTB 2 to 3 times, Board vitals x 1.5 times, Live Lectures for BTB 3 times, but my job is also very busy, so actual studying was only like 2 to 3 weeks before exam; this current one was like 1.5 weeks intense study...You will Pass! God Bless You!
Congrats! Can you please share how did you incorporate study (doing qs) with work? Did you only study 2-3 weeks prior exam or were you studying for few months? I am struggling with work and taking time out to study. :(

I failed it by 10 points.. this was my second attempt... sigh...
I failed 4th time. Not at all a good test taker. Struggled with USMLE exams and PRITE all the time. Never failed an exam in life but this one is impacting my confidence. Failed with 9 points less. I did K&S (X3), BTB (X2) attended live lectures of BTB, did some PRITE ninja. I am working full time and also teaching in Med school (at least 10-12 lectures per year). Clinical rotation with me is the number one priority for all the students. The school sends me my annual report and I am topping every year consecutively for the 3 years for best clinical rotation. School offered me Clerkship Director position too. With all the name and fame, I feel more and more ashamed for not being able to pass the exam. I planned to take Sleep Medicine boards in 2024 but now, I have to prepare for this exam again and can not take the Sleep boards until I pass this.

Can we make a group (with those who failed this time) and start preparing again for next year? I would like to know where I am missing the logic and also would like to see other's point of view. I would like to restart my preparation, sometime in late Jan.
I have created a study group on watsapp for docs who failed the ABPN 2023. Let me know if interested in joining the study group.

I have created a study group on watsapp for docs who failed the ABPN 2023. Let me know if interested in joining the study group.
I want to join. Please let me how to join you all for study. Appreciate it

I know this thread is mostly about the general psychiatry exam but, in case anyone is interested, the results for the forensic psychiatry exam came out today—one day short of the full quoted 10-to-12-week period for scoring. They were released at an odd time. They were not there in the morning, but showed up around noon or 12:30 PM EST.

I did quite well (around 95th percentile based on the mean and SD provided). I read through Landmark Cases in Forensic Psychiatry by Elizabeth Ford and Merrill Rotter several times. I made flash cards with the case name on one side, and jurisdiction/summary/holding on the other. Studied the flash cards a few times per week to reinforce knowledge of landmark cases. I also listened to the audio from the AAPL review course and got through as much of the giant binder as possible. I did all the questions provided in the binder and read like 3/4 of the notes. I also did the AAPL Forensic Psychiatry Self-Assessment Exam. 24 hours before the exam, I reviewed the content syllabus provided by ABPN and looked up any topics I didn’t feel confident about. It was a lot of preparation but I don’t think I would do anything differently.

If people have questions about the forensic psychiatry exam, feel free to reach out. Going into it, I felt there was not much here regarding this exam and the strategy for it (probably owing to the relatively few people who actually take it).

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I am interested. Please let me know how to join the group.

Congrats! Can you please share how did you incorporate study (doing qs) with work? Did you only study 2-3 weeks prior exam or were you studying for few months? I am struggling with work and taking time out to study. :(
Thank you! So sorry for late reply, we moved from Indiana to Texas on December 13th, 2 day drive and started my new job here Dec 18th and you know moves and boxes, still setting up and just logged into this forum on my other laptop and saw your reply. Yes for me, it was like 1 week live beat the boards and then 2 to 3 weeks intense study, b/c busy job before, hence the move to better, hopefully life work balance job; but best is to study regularly...I still believe for these exams, for me anyway, all the steps, it came down to intense study and repitition of integrated material the last 2 to 3 weeks, but that may be me...please do what works for you! DSM 5TR desk reference really helped me this time and Speigel of course, book and online! buy chronic knowledge from btb, boardvitals and other will help as well; also Ninja prite, the question and answer book...please study what worked for you in the past with usmle steps...You Will Pass! God Bless You!

Starting the studying process again after failing it twice and reviewing my exam scores... I scored the lowest on interpersonal/communication well below passing... any tips on how I can improve on that?? But the time before that I scored high on it so wtf I'm sooo confused ><

Can someone please tell me why it is actually important to be a board-certified psychiatrist? I have been out of residency and practicing since 2019, and I actually don't know of a good reason. The MD shortage is so crazy in this country people will literally call you nonstop trying to be seen by a doctor and not a telehealth NP. And I live in NJ, not like South Dakota or something.

Can someone please tell me why it is actually important to be a board-certified psychiatrist? I have been out of residency and practicing since 2019, and I actually don't know of a good reason. The MD shortage is so crazy in this country people will literally call you nonstop trying to be seen by a doctor and not a telehealth NP. And I live in NJ, not like South Dakota or something.

A lot of insurances will not panel you if you're not board certified or board eligible. A lot of hospitals will not give you admitting privileges or even allow you to work if you don't maintain board certification in at least some speciality.

A lot of insurances will not panel you if you're not board certified or board eligible. A lot of hospitals will not give you admitting privileges or even allow you to work if you don't maintain board certification in at least some speciality.
Pretty sure this response is out of date. I have not encountered that problem at all with insurances.

How many outpatient psychiatrists really need admitting privileges these days? When I first started up in private practice I called around to local hospitals to ask about getting admitting priveleges, and most admin staff there didn't even know what I was talking about. Pretty sure like every private practice doc/NP I have come across just has patients call 911/go to the ER.

I worked for several years in one of the top academic psych hospitals in NYC area, and board certification was not a requirement there.

Pretty sure this response is out of date. I have not encountered that problem at all with insurances.

How many outpatient psychiatrists really need admitting privileges these days? When I first started up in private practice I called around to local hospitals to ask about getting admitting priveleges, and most admin staff there didn't even know what I was talking about. Pretty sure like every private practice doc/NP I have come across just has patients call 911/go to the ER.

I worked for several years in one of the top academic psych hospitals in NYC area, and board certification was not a requirement there.

Right and a huge nearby hospital system explicitly states in their bylaws that you must be board certified or board eligible to be staff there so anecdotes are anecdotes I guess but that's a risk. By "admitting" privileges, I mean if you work in the ER or inpatient unit and need to admit patients to the hospital....any doctor that admits patients to the hospital needs admitting privileges.

Also, it's not out of date for the insurance stuff, if you don't believe me ask the insurance companies credentialing departments if you need to maintain board certification or not to stay in network. I've joined networks within the last 3 years, almost ALL of them gave me **** for not being board certified initially and wanted to see that I had graduated within a board eligible timeframe (they all wanted my diploma or a letter from my PD).

Last edited:
Right and a huge nearby hospital system explicitly states in their bylaws that you must be board certified or board eligible to be staff their so anecdotes are anecdotes I guess but that's a risk. By "admitting" privileges, I mean if you work in the ER or inpatient unit and need to admit patients to the hospital....any doctor that admits patients to the hospital needs admitting privileges.

Also, it's not out of date for the insurance stuff, if you don't believe me ask the insurance companies credentialing departments if you need to maintain board certification or not to stay in network. I've joined networks within the last 3 years, almost ALL of them gave me **** for not being board certified initially and wanted to see that I had graduated within a board eligible timeframe (they all wanted my diploma or a letter from my PD).

I, too, ran into this with insurance company credentialing. They all wanted board certification and were reluctant to even consider board eligible. Ultimately, I only convinced one to allow me on their panel and that was after I obtained board certification.