Board exam ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mayb

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know what to do when you are a resident from one state (Florida), but study optometry at other state like (Indiana or Boston) an after graduation want to practice optometry at Florida? Where do I have to do the board exam, when do I have to do them at Florida or at the state where I study optometry? where can I get some information?
Thank mayden :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

It mean that I will have to take for example the boards at Indiana and also that florida ones. :eek:

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there a national boards thesedays?

There are national boards, but you have to also be certified to practice by the state. Most states do not have a separate board exam, they may just req. a certain score on the national one. Some states have an addition exam thay can cover pharm. stuff, while I believe others test over bussiness and law of the state.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

You have to take the state board in Florida. AFTER YOU HAVE PASSED PART 1,2,AND3 OF THE NATIONAL BOARDS.

Hi, I'm a recent grad and I'm taking the florida boards in about a month. In particular,the law portion is alot of information. Because you've already sat for the exam, do we have to know the entire contents of the law (over 300 pages) or just certain sections??? Thanks in advance and I really appreciate your help. Also, if it's not too much trouble pls also respond to my email addr at [email protected].

Thank you!!!!

A. Jamel

JAMEL said:
Hi, I'm a recent grad and I'm taking the florida boards in about a month. In particular,the law portion is alot of information. Because you've already sat for the exam, do we have to know the entire contents of the law (over 300 pages) or just certain sections??? Thanks in advance and I really appreciate your help. Also, if it's not too much trouble pls also respond to my email addr at [email protected].

Thank you!!!!

A. Jamel

they give you the text for the law exam on the computer. (it's open book) If you're good with the acrobat search function... it's all good. But, yes, you need to know the whole book. Be familiar with it so you know where to go look for the info on your test. You have to score an 88 or higher to pass.

Good luck !
:luck:

Cool, thanks. One last question. Where can I obtain or can you recommend some good study material for the other parts of the exam? I have books from my classes and notes right now. Just want to have as many options available... Thanks again!!

:D

I studied with mass eye and ear... and the cole vision TMOD review book. As far as I know there are no real "florida board" study books. I had a doc I interned with make up sample scenarios for me to work through. worked pretty well :)

I am also taking the Florida boards this summer, and was wondering if anyone knew where to find a decent breakdown of the clinical portion, the one posted on the website is vague at best. Thanks for your help in advance.

PCO2006 said:
I am also taking the Florida boards this summer, and was wondering if anyone knew where to find a decent breakdown of the clinical portion, the one posted on the website is vague at best. Thanks for your help in advance.

Click on the "candidate information" link underneath the "clinical" box. It's a 27 page booklet of EXACTLY what's tested and what the standards are for the clincial exam.

Clinical Link