Board Prep for ABIM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kl412

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those who have passed or are studying for ABIM, are you taking any board prep materials (live lectures, dvd, audio, etc?)? If so, which one do you recommend and best prep you for the real ABIM? I am freaking out about my upcoming ABIM and want to really prepare for it! There are so many courses/materials out there, I just don't know which one to choose! Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

I studied with the Medstudy books (and can't remember if there was a CD too?). Most people at my program either used Medstudy or the MKSAP. I think either one works. One thing I didn't realize is how much crap there is to get through, so I never finished getting all the way through the Medstudy books, but I still passed easily (though didn't get so great a score as I would have liked,and score was not so hot compared w/my USMLE scores). The test is generally not that hard to pass, if you are a good standardized test taker. If you tend to have trouble (such as barely passed USMLE steps) then it would be a good idea to study hard and to start early. If you are already studying now, then should be able to do well. I think just pick a program/study books and try to do all of it.

Not sure about any audio materials, since I never tried them. I am more of a read and write kind of gal...not great at absorbing audio stuff and/or lectures. If you spend a lot of time driving in a car or commuting by train, I guess they might be helpful...

For those who have passed or are studying for ABIM, are you taking any board prep materials (live lectures, dvd, audio, etc?)? If so, which one do you recommend and best prep you for the real ABIM? I am freaking out about my upcoming ABIM and want to really prepare for it! There are so many courses/materials out there, I just don't know which one to choose! Thanks!!

I used the MKSAP14 books (which I am actually selling for $170 if you're interested). Passed well.