Board Preparation Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brittdogg25

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone I am looking for any and all advice in preparing for the podiatry boards. I am looking for:
1)When did you start studying?
2)What materials did you use?
3)Strategy tips for the exam itself?
4)Any other tid bits of wisdom you have to share

I really appreciate anyone's help or advice, thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

They give you a comprehensive outline in the registration packet. Follow it and no other. It will tell you exactly what's gonna be on it, what systems, what anatomy, what drugs, the whole thing. It's easy!

I think this is a very useful thread:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=368156

Me personally, I'm going with the First Aid USMLE book and will depend on my class notes as well. And I've been lookin at them whenever I have time which includes today!!! This is an important semester...no fun and games until I pass the boards.... my .02

Members don't see this ad :)
Honestly, there is nothing I can really recommend. I took the test last year. I didn't really find anything that was useful. I used the USMLE First Aid, but, I didn't really find it all that helpful when I was taking the test. However, don't let me discourage you from using it. The Micro section in there was very good. The most useful thing in my opinion was Pharmacology note cards. It made that section of the test a lot easier. Also, you can't go wrong with your lower and general anatomy notes. We also had a Physiology review that was extremely helpful, but that was at our school. Other than that, I didn't use anything else. And to answer the question on how long I studied for it, I would say I studied for about a month. Feel free to PM me if you have questions.

Honestly, there is nothing I can really recommend. I took the test last year. I didn't really find anything that was useful. I used the USMLE First Aid, but, I didn't really find it all that helpful when I was taking the test. However, don't let me discourage you from using it. The Micro section in there was very good. The most useful thing in my opinion was Pharmacology note cards. It made that section of the test a lot easier. Also, you can't go wrong with your lower and general anatomy notes. We also had a Physiology review that was extremely helpful, but that was at our school. Other than that, I didn't use anything else. And to answer the question on how long I studied for it, I would say I studied for about a month. Feel free to PM me if you have questions.

Did you guys have the mandatory review weeks? If so, did you think it was worthwhile? I understand the class of 2010 at OCPM had a low pass rate on the boards (73 or 76%), even with this required review.

Yes, we had the mandatory review sessions. It was the biggest waste of time. All it did was decrease the amount of time that we could study. We were there most of the day, so by the time I got home I did not want to study anymore. They may have gotten rid of the sessions being mandatory since we told them that it was not helpful at all. I have no idea what the pass rate was. I know it wasn't good though.

Yes, we had the mandatory review sessions. It was the biggest waste of time. All it did was decrease the amount of time that we could study. We were there most of the day, so by the time I got home I did not want to study anymore. They may have gotten rid of the sessions being mandatory since we told them that it was not helpful at all. I have no idea what the pass rate was. I know it wasn't good though.

i began studying june 1, i used mico review cards, the ridiculously made simple series for pathology, class notes for lower limb anatomy and physiology, usmle step 1 and pharm review cards.

its all how you can retain information, i personally would start reviewing more than a month before and focus on lower limb anataomy, pharm and pathology

The best way to prepare for boards is to do well in your first and second year classes and actually learn the material.