Board scores... Im SURE this has been asked

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gatsbyjo

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Generally speaking, what are strong predictors of board scores. I have heard
"high MCAT," but what is a high MCAT? Also, is a high MCAT that a person spent months preparing for the same type of predictor as someone who didn't spend much prep time?

Also, what about SAT scores? (again, how high?) Or, performance in class, etc....

Im just asking for general opinion, I know this is a topic of some debate. I am curious because BOARDS seem to be the biggest factor in many residency director's opinions. So, I don't really want to wait for 2 years and be shocked by a bad score... is there any way to at least get a handle on how well you might do?

Thanks for any and all help... you guys are the experts!

gats

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks Fro. Sometimes I need the whole process dumbed down a bit.

Did I mention Im listening to biochem lectures on mp3 at the moment. My personal search function was not working.

Also just FYI im not really asking this question becomes im anal, but more so that if I dont have a prayer to go into certain specialties, then i can start getting free lunch from the student interest groups of some more realistic possibilities.

Then again, it depends on whether they are serving pizza or subway.

Wow.... is this what happens when you take four tests in seven days and your brain is off?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think people who get high board scores are the ones who really learn their stuff really well in the first 2 years of med school. I havent taken the USMLE yet but this is what Ive been told countless times by people who killed the USMLE.

see, thats what makes sense. but i have also heard that if you are a generally good test-taker (National Merit scholar, high MCAT etc...) then you will probably do very well without as much info.... I just dont want to start getting interested in some specialties i dont have a prayer of getting into.

gatsbyjo said:
see, thats what makes sense. but i have also heard that if you are a generally good test-taker (National Merit scholar, high MCAT etc...) then you will probably do very well without as much info.... I just dont want to start getting interested in some specialties i dont have a prayer of getting into.

being a good test taker helps - but got to know the material (ie do well and study hard 1st and 2nd year)

good luck

I honestly didn't know how hard it would be to juggle studying for tests while keeping up in other classes... the material doesnt seem to be that hard, but now I know why people always look so stressed out.

Did you ever feel like your brain just couldnt hold any more biochem?

Everyone in med school is a good test taker or else they never would have gotten there in the first place. The usmle is much more about how much you know than the mcat or act, etc. But you also have to know how to play the game, i.e. test strategies.

KyGrlDr2B said:
Everyone in med school is a good test taker

maybe so, but some are better than others.