Switching IM -> EM/IM ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CanIBeAnonymous

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone manage to successfully switch into a program's EM/IM program after matching their categorical IM?

On the interview trail, and some of the programs with combined EM/IM programs are resonating hard with me, and I just had my EM, MICU, and Ultrasound rotations and realized how much I love that ****.

I know the program is its own program, with its own PD, but since it's still partially IM I imagine it may be slightly easier than switching into a whole different program?

thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

If nothing else, there were a bunch of unfilled EM spots last year. If you match IM to a place that has a combined program, maybe you can contact them right away (the IM program) to see if they can somehow help you work out a spot in the combined program if their EM program doesn't fill.

Probably a long shot, but something to consider.

Reactions: 1 user
The NRMP match agreement specifically forbids this, fyi. I believe even asking a PD if you might be able to switch is technically a match violation if you do it before you start. If OP matches categorical IM, that is what they are doing PGY1 year.

If you are able to switch out to an EM/IM program in the same hospital, it is possible that they would let you join as a PGY2, but they'd probably make you repeat the EM/IM PGY1 year, potentially with some extra electives.

Either way I think it would be a good idea to explore the possible career trajectories for dual training like this. In general for some of these specialty dual training programs, it's not that you end up being "both types" of physician, and the career paths available to you might not be quite as variable as you might think.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think they'd maybe be able to switch over technically after 45 days if everyone was in agreement (if it's the same institution). I guess it's a tread lightly situation.

Also, it's true about dual programs. I explored IM/Derm and even interviewed at programs. Looking back, I'm glad I didn't end up in one. It would have been two wasted years of my life.

I think they'd maybe be able to switch over technically after 45 days if everyone was in agreement (if it's the same institution). I guess it's a tread lightly situation.
not EM/IM, but you can definitely switch from a categorical to combined program at the same institution during PGY-1 if things line up right and the program wants you. We had a switch from categorical IM into Med Peds at my program that happened during PGY 1 (occurred about 6 months in). it only worked out because of other related circumstances and changes, but it's not forbidden at that point (and actually probably would not have been possible at all any later than that point, without repeating a year).

I would just finish IM and apply pccm (or just ccm). Save two years of your life and the opportunity cost (n=3 but all of the em/im people I trained with ended up doing pccm anyway).