Board scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SandyH

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, what specialties does a 230-240 step 1 score let you be competitive for if you are a DO student?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, what specialties does a 230-240 step 1 score let you be competitive for if you are a DO student?
Anything non-surgical for sure and probably general surgery if you audition

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
likely not surgical subs, Ophtho, Derm
You have a shot at gen surg and OB (somehow it's getting competitive these last 2 years), rad programs
Everything else is pretty safe

Reactions: 1 user
I talked to my dean of surgery about getting into general surgery with a 236, and they said with that score, we are right on the lower borderline of getting accepted into a general surgery residency.

I talked to my dean of surgery about getting into general surgery with a 236, and they said with that score, we are right on the lower borderline of getting accepted into a general surgery residency.

You need to show them the charting outcomes. This isn’t even including former AOA programs.

Is mid 230s competitive enough to match neurology in california?

This is the trend. No Dean will ever say, "Oh yes, you should be good for this or that", they are like pre-med advisers. They are not evil at all, just give you enough to be proud of but stop short of ensuring it doesnt get to your head and you become all cocky.

Well the best I was told once was "based on what I see, you can write your own ticket"

sorry to hijack, but is there a well recognized floor for EM or Anesthesia for DOs?

Eh... I'm taking USMLE because I've got no idea how the merger will effect all that. Honestly, nobody does know and I'm only in the second class that will be effected.

You say that now... I hope your school prepares you better than mine did. Seriously... because I 100% disagree with the notion that studying for the usmle is studying for the comlex (as you often hear on here). It was hell studying for both and quite frankly everything about them was completely different. GL, though!!!!
That’s why u study to do good on usmle then put a couple days toward omm for comlex. A good usmle >>>> comlex

Reactions: 2 users
Ya maybe except I have a friend in my class who did ok on the usmle this year but failed comlex

They are completely different exams
Did he not study omm at all or something ? Lol
Usmle historically is harder for D.O. students to pass maybe he had a bad day or just didn’t read omm. Besides omm there really isn’t much different stuff to use to study

Reactions: 2 users
Ya maybe except I have a friend in my class who did ok on the usmle this year but failed comlex

They are completely different exams
It happens, but at a much lower chance than scoring well on COMLEX and got owned by USMLE. Buddy scored 60 percentile on COMLEX, 10 percentile on USMLE. I scored 78 C/82 U, but that's after studying 3 extra month for USMLE AFTER COMLEX.

Reactions: 1 user
Did he not study omm at all or something ? Lol
Usmle historically is harder for D.O. students to pass maybe he had a bad day or just didn’t read omm. Besides omm there really isn’t much different stuff to use to study

In his defense, I found COMLEX way harder than USMLE, even with all the OMM studying. I didn't fail it, of course, but COMLEX seeming like a tougher beast is not exactly an unfamiliar thing.

In his defense, I found COMLEX way harder than USMLE, even with all the OMM studying. I didn't fail it, of course, but COMLEX seeming like a tougher beast is not exactly an unfamiliar thing.

i did too but the tests are standardized aka the testing pool is more important than the test itself. but i would feel less bad for failing comlex than usmle since its a lol of an exam