Navigating fourth year with low board scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

halpm33

Reaction score
I am looking for guidance on how to approach my fourth year. I scored in the 450-500 range on level 1 and am looking to match community IM to become a hospitalist. I will not be taking step 1 [tried studying for it simultaneously and was not scoring well]. I am currently in third year focusing on my rotations/ level 2. Students from my school typically go back to their home state and complete fourth year rotations there. However, I was wondering if it would be better to do aways at potential sites I hope to match with my scores? I have heard people say this is risky because you dont want to leave a bad impression.

I was also wondering if residency explorer is an accurate tool to use to see if you are competitive for a residency? If so, is it worth it to apply to to programs where you are in the lower 25% of matched applicants in regards to board scores.

Lastly, what else can I be doing right now to make my application competitive for residency other than focusing on level 2. Should I be networking? Should I try to get more research? [I have one manuscript publication but played a small role].

Members don't see this ad.

No, doing auditions is plain dumb. One month where they expect you to be top notch and kiss ass the entire time then daft 29 a new random attending doesn't like you and you go unmatched at that site

Just focus on getting strong letters and improving on your next step exam

IDK. Those are low scores. I think your mission will be just like med school, get that acceptance. Now you have to enhance your application. So I guess the answer is to get all the boxes checked if possible. It wouldn't hurt to spend a month at a rotation where you might like to match. LORs, bust your butt on upcoming board exams, and any networking/politics you can muster. Obviously, apply broadly, and consider programs that didn't fill during the regular match and people had to SOAP into. Consider mostly community and lower tier uni affiliate programs. Some are pretty good. You don't want to go unmatched and enter that special kind of He!! Good luck and best wishes!

Reactions: 1 user