Board Scores...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stoshic

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a question for anyone who has taken the first boards... I was just wondering how rough they are. I see that for oral surgery, some of the residencies require a 90 or above just to apply. I know among the specialities this varies, but I was wondering if you could give some kind of example compared to DAT and studying in undergrad or something someone entering dental school has to aim for by some sort of an example.

Members don't see this ad.

Too hard to say how much studying 1 person needs versus the rest but it's safe to say for any specialty now you need above a 90, and for the more competitive spots in ortho and oral sx at least low to mid 90s.

stoshic said:
but I was wondering if you could give some kind of example compared to DAT

The DAT does not even compare to NBDE Part 1. Not even close. The indurance, the magnetude of information, and preparation time to do well, all of the above exceeds the DAT. Thus far, it is the worst standardized exam I have ever encountered (I know for those of you have taken the USMLE Step 1, that's much worse).

Nonetheless, don't let my words frighten you, study hard and you will be rewarded. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
ItsGavinC said:
A recent Harvard study concluded that undergrad GPA had the best correlation to NBDE I scores, and that the DAT has little or no correlation.

Oh crap.

ItsGavinC said:
A recent Harvard study concluded that undergrad GPA had the best correlation to NBDE I scores, and that the DAT has little or no correlation.
That's something I'd never have expected. Post a link?

Rezdawg said:
I thought that Yah-e would be the first one to say that! :laugh:
If I had not taken partI then I would probably say the same thing too :laugh:

thanks for the info. I was just curious because from what I understand... and this could be off, is that some take the boards during the first year while others take it in their second. Any opinions on advantages or disadvantages. Thanks again

It would be interesting to see that study done at another school where the mean DAT wasn't a 22 and the nbde wasn't a 93!

if you take data from a school with an avg 18 dat and 85 nbde you might get better results covering a wider range of scores.

Harvard accepts students from pretty solid undergrads, so that may play a part in the consistency of gpa to nbde.

The only reason I say this is because most the students that I have talked to that did well on part one all did pretty well on the DAT while their gpa's were quite variable.

Yah-E said:
The DAT does not even compare to NBDE Part 1. Not even close. The indurance, the magnetude of information, and preparation time to do well, all of the above exceeds the DAT. Thus far, it is the worst standardized exam I have ever encountered (I know for those of you have taken the USMLE Step 1, that's much worse).

Nonetheless, don't let my words frighten you, study hard and you will be rewarded. :thumbup:

Yah-E,

How is the OMFS thing going? Have you applied to OMFS programs yet, let me know how its going I know you have been working very hard towards it so I am curious?

ItsGavinC said:

A study by the Univ of Mississippi showed that the scores on the NDBE I and DAT scores were directly related. So who knows.

I think it's up to the person how well they want to do.

lunguv said:
Yah-E,

How is the OMFS thing going? Have you applied to OMFS programs yet, let me know how its going I know you have been working very hard towards it so I am curious?

Thanks for asking! I have yet to apply. I'll submit my PASS and Match application in the end of June this summer. Oh, as usual I'm sure you guys will hear/read all about it....the residencies I apply to, interviews I get (if any), how I ranked, and if I get in. Stay tuned. I can't believe I am about to apply! It's exciting, but yet nerve wrecking.

Ya I have read all your posts concerning your omfs journey. I am really excited for you, I hope all your hard work pays off!

ItsGavinC said:

The "studies" referred to in my DAT study books (barrons) said just the opposite.

onetoothleft said:
The "studies" referred to in my DAT study books (barrons) said just the opposite.
Does the book report the structure & methods of the study, though? You've got a major possibility of reporting bias, so you'd have to examine those pretty closely.

onetoothleft said:

Well, that may be the case. My logic has always been that there ought to be less of a correlation between DAT scores and NBDE I scores, simply because some students will study their arses off for the DAT and then do nearly nothing for Part I.