Board scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

J.opt

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got the optometry boards scores from some schools:

-PUCO:
?For the August 2002 administration of Part I: Basic Science portion of the exam --the report indicates the national pass rate of 72% with first-time test takers and the PUCO pass rate was 83% level with first time test takers.?

-UHCO:
?The pass rate for the class that just graduated when they took boards for the first time was 95% compared to a 72% national average for first time takers. UHCO students are typically above the national average.?

-MCO:
?Our pass rates on the National Boards are as follows:
Part I - 70% on the August offering, 90% after the December offering.
Part II - 100% on the first time taking the exam - which has been the situation for 20 some years.?

Members don't see this ad.

Is it just me, or do those seem like some frighteningly low percentages? :eek: I was expecting numbers in the 90's. I wonder how these pass rates compare to medical board pass rates?

Remember, the nat ave is around 72% 1st time passage rate of Part I of the boards. With UHCO around 95%, OSU at 95-100%, and Berkeley around 90% or so, that means there must be some schools in the 50-60% range (or maybe lower) to have the nat ave that low. I wonder which ones these are?

Members don't see this ad :)
(Copying from J.opt's original list, adding PCO--please add more by copying this post)

Optometry National Board (NBEO) Pass Rates by School:

-National Average:
Part I: 72%
Part II: ???

-MCO:
Part I - 70% on the August offering, 90% after the December offering.
Part II - 100%

-PCO:
Part I: 85-93% (historically)
Part II: >95%

-PUCO:
Part I: 83% (August 2002)
Part II:

-UHCO:
Part I: 95% (August 2002)
Part II:

It look like PCO has a high pass rate :)

Well, back to studying for finals :eek: :eek: I can't take the stress! :(

Here is the stats from ICO.

Bacic Science Exam

Year / ICO % Pass / Nat', % Pass
2001 / 92 / 69.7
2000 / 86 / 77
1999 / 81.8 / 75

Clincal Science Exam

2001 / 91 / 75
2000 / 95 / 92
1999 / 89 / 85

Patient Care Exam

2001 / 98 / 94
2000 / 99 / 95
1999 / 99 / 96

Rpames!!! You beat me to it!!

Luv,
Eyegirl

Official champion of ICO.

Official champion of ICO.

I think I may give you a run for your money on that. When I was a high school freshman, my computer wall paper was the ICO logo. Beat that!!!:laugh:

rpames, are those ICO scores for first time takers?

Rpames,
I guess we'll have to be co-official champions of ICO. You have matched and perhaps even exceeded my obsession! You've got to be proud of that! I hope you get in so we can be classmates...

Luv,
Eyegirl:D

I don't really know. On the sheet I got the data from, it says, "The following are ICO student pass rates compared to the national average for the first offering of each examination in the year indicated:"

Here are SCO's stats for 2002 (first time testers):

Basic Science Exam: 92% pass
Clinical Science Exam: 98% pass

Something doesn't quite add up with all of these >90% passing scores. With a national first-time passage average of 72%, either all of the schools not represented here are seriously lacking (doubtful), or there are discrepancies with 1st time passage rates vs. overall passage rates for these statistics.

I?ve heard that the school in Puerto Rico, and the one in Florida have a very low average on the boards, I?m going to try to find out what their scores are