Boards after FIRST year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EHA DDS

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone ever heard of people taking the Part I of the boards after first year? Are you even allowed to do this?

Members don't see this ad.

We'll be doing that at UNC this year. There are several other schools that do this as well.

I did it last year after my first year. Boards can be taken anytime, as long as the Dean signs off on it.

There are currently 6 or 7 schools that are taking them after their first year, along with another 2 or 3 that give their students the option of doing it after the first year or after the second. The rest take it in the traditional time after the second year.

Members don't see this ad :)
adamlc18 said:
We'll be doing that at UNC this year. There are several other schools that do this as well.

Adam, do you still think that UNC is a great school?

ItsGavinC said:
It is THE number 1 school in the nation, in my book.

I'd second that

ItsGavinC said:

Elaborate please.

gosh, when exactly do you take it at UNC? the summer after first year?

i thought Nova actually takes it after 1.5 years (winter of D2), but i could be wrong?

adamlc18 said:

ItsGavinC said:

Uh-ohh!!! :scared: :scared:

Can someone please list the top 5 dental schools in the nation? (jk) :laugh:

Actually Illinois is currently number one. North Carolina is number four, if i'm not mistaken.

UIC takes them after first year as well. We'll see how that goes.

...and Creighton is unranked. :laugh:

what do they test you on in the first boards?

Members don't see this ad :)
I still think UNC is a great school. WE have until the paper date of December of our sophomore year to take it, but I think almost all of us will take it this summer since we have a month off when we can study for it vs taking it in December at the same time as finals.

Quick question here, I was reading up the materials for borad I, seems like there will be stuffs envolving micro, anatomy and histology. So I was wondering what classes I should take to prepare for first and second year of dental school or board I? Microbiology, anatomy or histology? I was told by one of my friends saying that don't take anatomy but histology, is he right?

Profchaos said:
Quick question here, I was reading up the materials for borad I, seems like there will be stuffs envolving micro, anatomy and histology. So I was wondering what classes I should take to prepare for first and second year of dental school or board I? Microbiology, anatomy or histology? I was told by one of my friends saying that don't take anatomy but histology, is he right?

MICROBIOLOGY

I took part 1 during the summar of my first year at Nova. For me it was ideal, there was less time to forget the material I had learned that first year. The only class I hadn't taken was pathology but they gave us a crash course and I did well. I also had more time theat first summer to study for the board exam.

Most of my class took it and did well. It sure makes 2nd year more enjoyable knowing that part 1 is out of the way.

My advice is, given the option, take it as early as possible. Why put off 'til tomorrow what you can accomplish today.

Tried checking this out on ADA but couldn't find it. How much does it cost to write Part I of the boards? As well around how much are dental decks?

EHA DDS said:
Tried checking this out on ADA but couldn't find it. How much does it cost to write Part I of the boards? As well around how much are dental decks?

Look on ebay for the dental decks, I've seen them go for about $120-150

You can learn about the Part I boards on the ADA website at

http://www.ada.org/prof/ed/testing/index.asp

Part 1 of the boards is a very important exam.... especially if you want to specialize. If you take it your first year and have your heart set on becoming a gp, I would still advise you to aim for the highest possible score (90's for good measure) just in case you find yourself wanting to specialize later on. Just relax and sieze the opportunity!

I have a question about the boards and didn't want to start a new thread for it. I have heard that it is easier to do better on the Boards if you take it in December as opposed to the summer time. Supposedly, more people who take it in December are retaking it, and your score is based on how you do compared to others who took it, you can conceivably get a higher score in December with the same answers that got you a lower score in the summer. I haven't taken the borads so I have no idea how this all works. I was hoping someone could enlighten me.

Da ObtURator said:
Part 1 of the boards is a very important exam.... especially if you want to specialize. If you take it your first year and have your heart set on becoming a gp, I would still advise you to aim for the highest possible score (90's for good measure) just in case you find yourself wanting to specialize later on. Just relax and sieze the opportunity!

So you do recommend taking in summer after D1?

EHA DDS said:
So you do recommend taking in summer after D1?

Personally, I have not taken the board exam yet but will take it this july as i am a D2 and our school did not give us an option of taking it after first year. It is worthwhile to start studying as early as possible for some people. However, if your school does allow you take the board after 1st year, you should weigh all of your options accordingly:

1. Do you get summer off after 1st year? and if you do, does your spring semester end in time (around mid may) to allow you to have a concentrated study period leading up to the boards?

2. How much studying can you put in while taking a full load of courses and labs (maybe for the first time)? Are you motivated enough to not just wanna get the exam over with and instead REALLY commit yourself to making the boards your beeeyaatch?

3. Are you READY?? Do you feel confident about some subjects that you perhaps have not even covered yet? Because you will be taking the board after your 1st year, you might have to put in some extra time just aquainting yourself with subject matter that you have not had a course for.

4. Other situations to consider..... maybe some of the peeps who already took their boards can illuminate some other factors???

Good Luck and remember to BREATHE!! :thumbup:

adamlc18 said:
I have a question about the boards and didn't want to start a new thread for it. I have heard that it is easier to do better on the Boards if you take it in December as opposed to the summer time. Supposedly, more people who take it in December are retaking it, and your score is based on how you do compared to others who took it, you can conceivably get a higher score in December with the same answers that got you a lower score in the summer. I haven't taken the borads so I have no idea how this all works. I was hoping someone could enlighten me.

Bump. Anyone???

your score is compared to not only those that took the test the same time as you, but to those that took the test back to three years ago. I do not believe there is any statistical advantage of taking the test in december over any other time.

take the test when you think you will have enough time to have prepared sufficiently.