boards fast approaching; question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cherryalmond

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So the boards are in May and I am beginning to worry since I have a history of poor standardized test taking; i already read the sticky about the boards but what are the best books to use. I thought mass general but it's way old. Do you have to do a review book , a question book, and a neuro course? what about the kaufman course? is that useful?
How many months prior do I start; and when will i get the paperwork to schedule it already
thank u

Members don't see this ad.

I got the Kaufman notes from a friend who took the course. Were they useful? Yes--too useful. It taught you how to pass the test. It focused so much and so well on that, I felt it didn't teach psychiatry or neurology much.

Beat the Boards--the psychiatry section was very well done. I wasn't very happy with the neurology section. One thing is has that's better than the Kauffman material was that it taught the subjects well.

The best question source I know of is the book Psychiatry Test Preparation by Spiegel. It has questions which were accurate to the test, very good explanations, and its well written.

MGH was good, though it also had several chapters in it that I felt were either not on the board exam at all or was extremely low yield.

Kaplan and Sadock--forget about it. None of its questions were in the board format, and it tells you go to define words no one uses today, nor is on the board exam such as "forme fruste" or "delusional depression."